We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labor Day Report

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Penasco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson
reviews: 1
Labor Day Report

Made a quick trip to RP over Labor Day. Crossed border at Lukeville and drive down was uneventful. Saw plenty of Mexican Army and Federales riding in their vehicles on the road between Sonoyta and RP. RP police were handing out pamphlets near edge of town with tips on how to stay safe when visiting RP in spanish and english. Stayed at El Mirador Hotel across from the Sand Bar on the Mirador. Had a first floor room and it was very noisy because of cars in parking lot and people walking past room. Hotel was very clean and housekeeping did a bang-up job. Air conditioner worked well and I needed it. RP was very hot and humid the entire weekend.

I went to Lucas Pollo (Chicken) 3 times during my stay and had a feast every time. Half a chicken, tortillas, lettuce, onions and a coke for $6. Lucas Pollo seemed to be very popular with the Americans who were in town. I did a lot of beach combing but did not go swimming, as the surf was high because of a constant wind. Ate shrimp one evening at the Sand Bar. The meal was very good and the shrimp was large, succulent and perfectly fried in what appeared to be a tempura batter. The beer could have been colder at the Sand Bar but the bartenders and patrons were very friendly. Word was that Manny’s had been closed the entire month of August. I’m not sure if that is standard operating procedure for them. Stopped by Manny’s a couple of times for a beer and the place was dead on Friday and Sunday nights. Margaritavilla is still closed and for sale.

I went over to Shacks Fifth Avenue Saturday afternoon for souvenirs and it was deserted with the exception of the people manning the shops. Calle 13 was fun as always with plenty of locals out enjoying their weekend. Be prepared to be offered sex, drugs and rock and roll if you wander on the Calle 13.

Checked out of hotel Monday at 7:30 a.m. Gave my key to the owner who said it was the most Americans he had seen in town in a couple of years. I seemed to see a lot of vehicles with California plates. Got a cup of coffee to go from reception and made it to the border without an incident. Crossing wait was 20 minutes with 3 inspection stations open. Home safe by noon and had a great time. I’ll avoid Labor Day in RP again because the heat and humidity made being outdoors very uncomfortable.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
reviews: 12
1. Re: Labor Day Report

Thank you for the report. Labor day is still hot and humid, but I'm glad you had a good time and were still able to do everything.

It's too bad about Shacks, after they just spent so much money on a major face lift, right before business slowed down. Hopefully with positive reports like yours more people will start / continue to visit the our nearest beach.

Phoenix, Arizona
2. Re: Labor Day Report

Thanks for the report!

Tucson, Az
reviews: 7
3. Re: Labor Day Report

Thanks for your trip report. Sure would like to see more of them on this forum. Glad you had a good time. We haven't been down there since last Thanksgiving, but are planning to be there 3 days over the September 24th weekend. Really looking forward to returning. Hopefully it will be cooler by then.

reviews: 7
4. Re: Labor Day Report

Thanks for your report. Haven't been to RP since last Feb. Plan to be there 1st wknd of Oct. Where exactly is Calle 13? Along with what you claim they offer do they also offer local fare like food, snacks, tacos?

Scottsdale, Arizona
reviews: 2
5. Re: Labor Day Report

Calle 13 is the main road with the big signs over it, if your coming into to town, you turn right over the railroad tracks and at the end of it is the old Plaza Las Glorias. It does have some good food along there, pizza and taquito stands etc. Last time I was there, my favorite taco stand was gone, the Sombrero, what happened to it? anyone know?

Phoenix AZ
6. Re: Labor Day Report

Thanks for the honest report. Labor day used to be packed with american tourists, not anymore.

7. Re: Labor Day Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 19, 2011