We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The main road to Elafonissi will be closed in summer 2013

Which Elafonissi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chania Town, Greece
The main road to Elafonissi will be closed in summer 2013

Hello to everyone, this is Kostas from Chania, taxi owner. I'd like to inform you that the main road to ELAFONISSI is closed due to road works, around the tunnel of Topolia area. And it will be closed for almost the whole summer season of 2013 (they announced a 6 months period of schedule, if the wheather permits the conclusion of the works, etc). The road works started at February, so we are talking at least until August , at best. So, i believe the easiest way to Elofonissi for this year would be all the way to the west to Kissamos, Platanos, Sfinari, Amygdalokefali, Vathi, Chryssoskalitissa and Elafonissi. http://goo.gl/maps/YC3pi or perhaps, through Paleochora. So, to everyone who would like to drive to Elofonissi, be advised about the progress of the road works.

Edited: 4:45 pm, March 15, 2013
64 replies to this topic
London, United...
reviews: 8
1. Re: The main road to Elafonissi will be closed in summer 2013

Thanks for the information, Kostas.

The route Kostas describes is longer than the main road, and winding and precipitous in places, but very beautiful. Don't let the closure of the main road discourage you from making the journey. Stop at Chryssoskalitissa monastery (the Golden Step) on your way - and lunch at Sfinari.

Kostas, can the tour buses travel the coast road - or will the excursions to Elafonissi stop for the summer?

Edited: 5:10 pm, March 15, 2013
Chania Town, Greece
2. Re: The main road to Elafonissi will be closed in summer 2013

Not sure about the buses, but i guess that they will go through the road i said. It is a bit norrow at some points but not that narrow to prevent a bus go through. i guess it will be a bit more longer in time whenever 2 buses meet each other, etc but i believe it's doable. if i learn anything mre, i'll post it right away.

Devizes, United...
Destination Expert
for Crete
reviews: 310
3. Re: The main road to Elafonissi will be closed in summer 2013

Thank you Kostas, that's well worth knowing. We will be there in September so we are hoping the road might be back in operation by then.

England
reviews: 65
4. Re: The main road to Elafonissi will be closed in summer 2013

Thank you for this valuable information, Kostas. Do you know if the road south of the Topolia tunnel will be open? We plan to drive from Elafonisi to Paleochora via the Kafali, Limni, Aligi, Kantanos route - but if any part of this road is likely to be closed, we will make other plans (and stay overnight in Elafonisi or Kissamos instead). Thank you very much.

Ludlow, United...
reviews: 49
5. Re: The main road to Elafonissi will be closed in summer 2013

there is a dirt road between elafonissi and paleo not for the faint hearted but it cuts a lot of travelling time did this road in a daewo matiz very memorable journey my wife was not amused but i loved it off roading is a must if you want to find the hidden gems.?

England
6. Re: The main road to Elafonissi will be closed in summer 2013

Haha - I saw a uTube video of that route! Yes, it would be good to cut that corner - but my husband said, 'NO!'!!

Ludlow, United...
reviews: 49
7. Re: The main road to Elafonissi will be closed in summer 2013

go on you know you want to do it its relatively safe but you risk your cdw if you make a bad choice of direction on the track

Chania Town, Greece
8. Re: The main road to Elafonissi will be closed in summer 2013

Hello again. This is a translation of the announcment of the road works (through Google translate, so forgive me for the grammar mistakes): "Improving security conditions of the provincial road Kaloudiana - Head - Chrissoskalitissa, 1st Project: Retaining slope section Topolia - Katsomatado '. Further notes that "it is necessary to complete cessation of vehicular and pedestrian traffic for about 1,000 m in length around the tunnel area Topolia and during execution, in order to avoid the risk of accidents. Stopping traffic starting Monday 02/04/2013. According to the planning of the work, the traffic disruption will last for six months and will be extended if adverse weather conditions prevent the progress of the project.

The vehicular traffic on the site can be done through existing rural - municipal roads that bypass the location of projects.

The traffic connection from the area of ​​Kissamos and the Northern Highway to general areas Elos - Vathi - Elafonisi etc. can be conducted via the road Tavronitis - Kandanos - Plemeniana - Strovles - Mills - Elos - Vathi and Kissamos - Platanos - Sfinari - Vathi. "

So, the main problem seems to be for about 1km long around the tunnel of Topolia. any road that leads to Strovles, Elos,Vathi and they are not passing through the tunnel, should be open.

England
9. Re: The main road to Elafonissi will be closed in summer 2013

Kostas, thank you very much for your excellent information.

Lefteris, we've driven much worse roads in the USA - and even in Cornwall - lol - but we are older now and not sure that our hearts or bones can take all those bumps!

west sussex uk
reviews: 40
10. Re: The main road to Elafonissi will be closed in summer 2013

Hi Kostas, and thank you for this information (although I do not like the news, it's good to know such information in advance!)

We are staying in Elafonissi - arriving there by boat from Paleochora.

Our plan at the moment was to take the bus back to Chania from Elafonissi - last year it left at 4 o'clock, and we were told the bus takes a maximum of two hours.

Now, it looks like the bus will take about 3.1/2 - 4 hours to get back to Chania - too late for our flight, so we are going to have to change our plans.

Thanks again for the information.

Reply to: The main road to Elafonissi will be closed in summer 2013
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted