We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo Room Choices

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Troy, Ohio
reviews: 34
Barcelo Room Choices

Shana A

Troy, Ohio

reviews: 17

Save this Post

Barcelo Room Choices

Aug 15, 2014, 8:49 PM

Looking at the Barceló properties, but not sure which one yet. For those of you that have been, can you give me an opinion on room choices? It will be 2 adults, 20 year old daughter (not really big enough to be considered adult size) and 9 year old son. Which type of room will provide us with enough space to move? Also concerned about closet/dresser space. This will be our first family trip to Mexico and don't want to feel cramped. My husband and I go without the kids every year. Horrible parents - right?!? Any suggestions on which resort would be great also. I think the Maya Palace is over our budget unless we can find a great deal. Thanks in advance!

11 replies to this topic
New Jersey
reviews: 38
1. Re: Barcelo Room Choices

Staying at the Tropical in a few weeks with 2 teens.You may want to look into getting 2 rooms. It was only about $250 more.Not only more space,but 2 bathrooms!

Tequesta, FL
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
reviews: 7
2. Re: Barcelo Room Choices

The standard accomodations (which are junior suites) at the Palace are very large and will accomodate your family easily. Huge bathroom. Two sofa beds plus your main bedding choice. The slight additional cost for this deluxe-class property will more-than offset having to get (2) rooms or an upgraded suite at any of the other on-site resort sections, plus you will have all the amenities & priviledges that come with being a guest at the Palace!

Troy, Ohio
3. Re: Barcelo Room Choices

Thanks for the info. I will check out the prices for the Palace and/or 2 rooms at the Tropical.

Seattle
reviews: 2
4. Re: Barcelo Room Choices

We stay at the Beech or Caribe however we get the upgraded Club Premium rooms Usually less $$ than the tropical or colonial standard rooms. Since the best beach area and water toys are located there it works out great. Club Premium also gets you guaranteed Ocean front/View rooms right by the pools. In addition it also gets you Unlimited Ala Cartes restaurant access and prefered reservations and access to all restuarants in every section (including the air conditioned buffet and ala cates at the Colonial and Tropical) except the Palace. The rooms are the same as the tropical and colonial as well and you also get free internet in your room as well as other Club Premium Perks.

When out teens were older we have also got the Club Premium for us and the standards for them at the Beach section for less than two standards at the colonial or tropical.

Edited: 6:01 pm, August 16, 2014
Troy, Ohio
5. Re: Barcelo Room Choices

That's a great idea! I will definitely check out that option as well. Trip Advisor people know all the ins and outs :)

New Jersey
reviews: 38
6. Re: Barcelo Room Choices

Just got an email from Barcelo, they're having a Flash Sale. Was able to re-book and save over $600. You may be able to get a great price.

Seattle
7. Re: Barcelo Room Choices

Barcelo is often on Groupon and Living Social with specials

Troy, Ohio
8. Re: Barcelo Room Choices

Thanks guys!!!!! Checking prices now.

Pelham, New...
reviews: 1
9. Re: Barcelo Room Choices

I also struggled with room selection when I first looked into booking at the Barceló. Although when I was pricing rooms last February for this coming February the room rates at the Palace were close to $1000.00 more than the Colonial/Tropical. Getting two rooms was about $600.00 more even in the Colonial but since we could not be guaranteed the rooms would be together or even in the same building, it wasn't an option. I wouldn't want to start my vacation being stressed because my kids were really far away. They'll be 18 and 16 and I want to know what they are doing at night...lol.

We ended up getting club premium rooms at the Colonial, which are larger than the "regular" rooms at the Palace. We got a 5% mi barcelo discount and another 10% for a large family discount because we were booking multiple rooms for our party. Club premium gives us everything we could want with rooms facing the pool and it was still cheaper than the Palace. If we want to pay to do an extra dinner at the Palace we can. We have seven teenagers in our party and I think the central location will be much better for all of us. The new complex they are building (with teen center/disco, 24 hour sports bar, bowling alley and wave pool area) is in between the Colonial and Caribe section too. The resort is so big and the fact that the Colonial/Tropical can use all of the Beach/Caribe areas gives you the best value. Don't forget that just because you are at the palace it doesn't guarantee that you can get dinner reservations at the "lower" resorts. It is based on availability so it depends on how busy it is when you go.

Again it all depends on your needs and preferences.

Seattle
10. Re: Barcelo Room Choices

Also note that Club Premium at the Beach/Caribe also gets you full access to all the restaurants at the Tropical and Colonial with same room sizes

Reply to: Barcelo Room Choices
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted