We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Barcelo Hotel?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Herrington
reviews: 13
Which Barcelo Hotel?

Has anyone stayed at The Barcelo Maya Caribe hotel or would you recommend upgrading to of the other hotels in the Resort? Is the food good at this hotel? (Is the snorkelling good too?). I'm planning a trip with two teenage children in July (age 14 & 16) thank you

Naperville, Illinois
1. Re: Which Barcelo Hotel?

I have not stayed at the Caribe but did at the Tropical/Colonial so I can not speak for the food. I do know that the buffets at the Caribe are not air conditioned so if you all are sensitive to heat that would be something to consider as you will be there in July. You can buy passes to upgrade to the Tropical/Colonial buffets if it is an issue, but I do not recall the cost. As for snorkeling, the best is found on the section of the beach by the Palace (turtles, sting rays, etc...) and off the pier which will be closer to you. The beach is open to all guests but you would have to walk a bit to get to the snorkeling by the Palace. In my opinion, the beach in front of the Caribe is the best as there are very few rocks in the water but do know that the entire beach is pretty awesome!

West Herrington
reviews: 13
2. Re: Which Barcelo Hotel?

Many thanks that's extremely useful :-)

Tequesta, FL
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
reviews: 7
3. Re: Which Barcelo Hotel?

The Beach/Caribe is their basic, entry-level complex and the food quality & variety is definately different when compared to the moderate level Colonial/Tropical and/or the deluxe level Palace!

While the Beach/Caribe has a pristine beachfront, as was said, snorkeling is best off the Palace beachfront and also off the sports pier.

The cost to upgrade to the air conditioned buffets at the Colonial/Tropical is $5US per person per meal. The cost to upgrade to one of their four a la cartes is $15US per person per dinner, subject to availability.

FYI - the Barcelo is not known for its' organized teen activity programs! The best program in the region for them can be found at the Grand Palladium complex, just to the south.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 9
4. Re: Which Barcelo Hotel?

We stayed at the Tropical section of the Barcelo with our then 16 year old daughter last August. Never made it to the palace section but walked all over the rest of the beach. We liked snorkeling off the beach between the tropical and palace section the best. Never saw a turtle. But did see sting rays and many other fish. I highly recommend bringing your own snorkel gear.

As for teen activities, I did not notice any activities specific for teens. But the activities staff is good at getting everyone involved such as dance lessons, water polo, beach volleyball, etc.

It is hot in the summer and we were glad to have the AC dinning area. I have stayed at an AI hotel before in Ixtapa Mexico that did not have AC in the main buffet. It really was uncomfortable. And we are used to heat as we live in texas.

Chicago
reviews: 5
5. Re: Which Barcelo Hotel?

We have been to Barcelo Maya Beach/Caribe in July. I like the hot weather so the thing that the main buffet doesn't have A/C didn't bother me at all. The food was good. The property is gorgeous. The only thing that I didn't like about the Barcelo complex is that they don't have any palapas on the beach, they are relying on shade afforded by the palm trees at all their beaches.

We are going again this July, but this time we are staying at the Colonial section.

Playa del Carmen
6. Re: Which Barcelo Hotel?

Hi Lisa,

I am sure that if you book the Maya Caribe you will have a great time. However only if you are staying at the Palace you have access to all the facilities of the resort.

Barceló has one of the best beaches in the Riviera Maya, both for swimming and snorkeling.

Regards.

7. Re: Which Barcelo Hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 06, 2014