We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live from The CAT

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
reviews: 76
Live from The CAT

Well, it finally happened to us. After an exhaustive check in the gentleman told me that they did not have a room for us and they were moving us to Barcelo for 3 nights. NO - they were not. Immediately, he says they are going to move us to CRT for one night and then we will be coming back here. I tell him that I will move but only for the entire duration of our stay (5 nights) and we will only move to either Dreams or CRT. He tells me that he cannot do that so we ask for the manager. Of course the manager is busy, so we go and have lunch and a couple drinks. I tell him that I am probably not going to be as nice after a couple drinks - jokingly.

After lunch, we go back to the Lobby and watch they check in no less that 3 families - how did they have rooms for those people when they did not have a room for us an hour ago (i know the answer). When it is our turn, they immediately go to the window of the manager's office to tell him we are back. The lady was very nice and tells us that they are going to move us to a Priviledged room and tells me wife if she does not like the view to come back and she will give us a new room with a better view. Her name was Maria. As she is checking us in, she says something to the effect of "Mr. Burmeister and Trip Advisor." We never mentioned a word to them about Trip Advisor and while I am a DE, I would not consider myself a big player in the TA world by any means. So, I will give them credit that they did step up to the plate and made a bad situation good.

The resort is about what we expected and not what we are used to but it is a bonus trip as we did not think we were going to be able this year because work is crazy, so we are making the best of it. Service is just not on par to what we are used to - I guess we have been spolied. We always have to call the waiters over for coffee or a drink when they have looked at us 2 or 3 times already.

Ok - we are off to enjoy the beautiful weather - I will report back tomorrow. Ask any questions and I will try to answer them all.

Utah
reviews: 18
21. Re: Live from The CAT

Heather 182, we also arrive on the 6th, this will be our third time back. We do have privileged upgrades, and have every stay. I do believe as was posted earlier that for that reason, our review of the cat is certainly above average, we love the CAT. size is not too big...like the Bahia (which we have stayed at 3 times, but now stay at the cat as we like the smaller setting) Food is really good, yes, there are going to be some things that are not as good as others.....as any restaraunt or buffet for that matter. Spring break is super busy and the staff tries to do everything possible to keep things under control, just like us in our daily jobs. I think it will have calmed down immensely by the time we get there. The CAT in our opinion is wonderful. Check in and go to the Creperie, have some ice cream and a crepe then continue to enjoy your vacation.

Las Vegas
reviews: 6
22. Re: Live from The CAT

Paul/Monica (casualtravelerutah) and Heather,

We arrive tomorrow morning. I know my room will most likely not be ready when we do as we land in Cancun at 7:40 a.m. (we're on a red-eye) but when I get on the computer tomorrow afternoon/eve, I'll let you both know how busy etc it is. I will start a new "live at the Cat" so I will be the OP for my live posts.

As does casualtraveler, we to always do a Priv. Ste. A vacation is what you make it. I too have been to many resorts in the Riviera Maya but we too like the Cat the most. As for CRT, well, we went there 11 years ago when it was the Copacabana. Where as the beach is really awesome at CRT, I still prefer the Cat. We love walking to the Marina to eat and have a couple of beers and we always fish with Rick's so location is also a plus for us.

Safe travels everyone.

Edited: 5:30 pm, April 02, 2013
Chicago, Il
reviews: 43
23. Re: Live from The CAT

Hey Joken07,

Here's a new find: try to stroll the marina when the fishing boats are cleaning their catches. Look in the water as they toss the extras in the sea. FABULOUS sea life swarming the tasty treats. We saw spotted eagle rays, Western stingrays, tarpon, other BIG fish (maybe tuna?), plus many small fish as we stood on the sea wall.

Really cool!

staffs
reviews: 17
24. Re: Live from The CAT

joken07,thanks and looking forward to your updates to put our minds at rest!! see you there.

Livingston, Scotland
25. Re: Live from The CAT

Heather - we've stayed at the CAT twice - only 1 of 2 resorts we have returned to - and we would go again in a heartbeat, hopefully over Christmas this year! We've stayed in resorts with a few more stars and we got what we expected at them and we also got what we expected at the CAT - homework had been well and truly done before we went.

We too have upgraded to a Suite on both visits, first time because we got a very good late deal so had some money left over for it and we enjoyed the room so much the first time that we saved extra to upgrade the second time. We definitely prefer having the minibar, etc in the upgraded room.

It is a smaller resort which is one of the plus points for us. We usually go in September so its usually quieter so we have never experienced any problems getting served or seated at restaurants.

The food is down to personal preference - we love the Mexican but Ive never been impressed with the Steakhouse! I've sometimes found the buffet a little repetitive but as we are there for 2 weeks, that can only be expected - have never had a problem with no food, etc though. Make sure you try the creperie - lovely!

The bar staff have always been very helpful in finding alternative alcohol if needed but in my opinion, frozen drinks always taste good! We do take an insulated cup with us though to keep them cold and save having to go back to the bar as often - TK Max had some recently which came with a built in straw.

Hope this has been of some help?

staffs
reviews: 17
26. Re: Live from The CAT

Thanks for the reply,i have been and got some of the insulated mugs ready,we are looking forward to it and we do go with an open mind,thanks again,Heather.

27. Re: Live from The CAT

Hi, just reading the forum about the Catalonia Riviera Maya resort and seen your post. I'm staying at the CAT in June an noticed you have been quite a few times. I was wondering if you could give me any info, tips etc. I can't wait to go any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Suzy

28. Re: Live from The CAT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, April 04, 2013
29. Re: Live from The CAT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, April 04, 2013
Livingston, Scotland
30. Re: Live from The CAT

I've done two reviews for the CAT Suz - check them out and let me know if there is anything specific you want to know?