We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live from The CAT

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
reviews: 55
Live from The CAT

Well, it finally happened to us. After an exhaustive check in the gentleman told me that they did not have a room for us and they were moving us to Barcelo for 3 nights. NO - they were not. Immediately, he says they are going to move us to CRT for one night and then we will be coming back here. I tell him that I will move but only for the entire duration of our stay (5 nights) and we will only move to either Dreams or CRT. He tells me that he cannot do that so we ask for the manager. Of course the manager is busy, so we go and have lunch and a couple drinks. I tell him that I am probably not going to be as nice after a couple drinks - jokingly.

After lunch, we go back to the Lobby and watch they check in no less that 3 families - how did they have rooms for those people when they did not have a room for us an hour ago (i know the answer). When it is our turn, they immediately go to the window of the manager's office to tell him we are back. The lady was very nice and tells us that they are going to move us to a Priviledged room and tells me wife if she does not like the view to come back and she will give us a new room with a better view. Her name was Maria. As she is checking us in, she says something to the effect of "Mr. Burmeister and Trip Advisor." We never mentioned a word to them about Trip Advisor and while I am a DE, I would not consider myself a big player in the TA world by any means. So, I will give them credit that they did step up to the plate and made a bad situation good.

The resort is about what we expected and not what we are used to but it is a bonus trip as we did not think we were going to be able this year because work is crazy, so we are making the best of it. Service is just not on par to what we are used to - I guess we have been spolied. We always have to call the waiters over for coffee or a drink when they have looked at us 2 or 3 times already.

Ok - we are off to enjoy the beautiful weather - I will report back tomorrow. Ask any questions and I will try to answer them all.

Massachusetts
reviews: 21
1. Re: Live from The CAT

You're scaring me with just your first post. Seriously, I'm concerned that we have been spoiled also, and may be let down by this resort. We're trying to find something that is within the budget for others going with us on our next trip. Just experienced the lack of interest with the wait staff at the place we just stayed and that sometimes can make or break your whole experience.

I hope things go well, you sound like you'll have fun no matter what.

San Antonio, Texas
reviews: 23
2. Re: Live from The CAT

Yeahhhh but...how was the BB game!?

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
3. Re: Live from The CAT

I am sorry to say that your fears will be realized. While my wife and I are having a great time, we keep saying that we cannot see how others keep coming back here. We left our plates at the grill yesterday because the food was so bad (burgers tasted like lighter fluid) and walked over to the buffet. They have yet to have cheese out with their chips for nachos...just guac and no jalepenos?? Weird.

Their are no chairs with shade so I am glad I brought our porta-brella. Several people enjoyed me putting it together and then finding a bucket from one of the painting crew to put it in and fill it with sand.

We ate at the mexican place last night. It was just ok. Then we went to the Riviera Maya lobby. They had a couple doing live music which was really good and a bunch of people smoking hookak - which we found odd. We had fun.

The Yucatan side is way nicer than the Riviera side in our opinion.

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
4. Re: Live from The CAT

I have to say that a very nice man walking around the beach got us two beach chairs yesterday without us even asking. And the bartender at the Yucatan pool bar is great.

The bball game was awesome - Michigan won!! Now I have to watch them today again in the Elite 8.

N.H.
reviews: 1
5. Re: Live from The CAT

Hopefully things will get better....................enjoy your trip!!

San Antonio, Texas
reviews: 23
6. Re: Live from The CAT

I eagerly await your updates because I know and love the Cat...so it's kinda like being there, only not. Lol

I am, however, Sad that it is not keeping up with your expectations. You are, however, traveling at the busiest time of year so you have to keep that in mind.

Food at the buffet is always a subjective piece of conversation. We've always found the food to be really good at any of the buffets and snack bar.... But, it's a matter of opinion. AND we always travel in late June or July. So maybe that makes a difference..?

We've stayed at five or six different resorts in the Riviera Maya over the past 12 years and we've come back to the cat five times now. It's got something special that we really enjoy. I guess though, it's not or everyone.

I'm curious to know what resort(s) you have stayed at that you have referred to.

I hope that things begin to look up for you, however I can see that you are the type to have a good time no matter what.

Enjoy this Easter Sunday in Paradise!

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Edited: 11:40 am, March 31, 2013
staffs
reviews: 14
7. Re: Live from The CAT

We are going next weekend and this isn't sounding good,was really looking forward to it aswell!!

Connecticut
reviews: 2
8. Re: Live from The CAT

Hopefully what girlfromtexas says is true....I will be there in June.

Union, Oregon
reviews: 173
9. Re: Live from The CAT

We've been 6x now and planning our next trip. Has always been a great time for us, with or without our friends/family from home. Everyone has different tastes and expectations.

Edited: 5:43 pm, March 31, 2013
Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
10. Re: Live from The CAT

Well, as I was on one of my walks this morning, they made an annoucement that anyone could move to Catalonia Royal Tuluum, so we jumped at it. We are at CRT now, so I will start a new "live from" thread for CRT. The CAT just was not for us, but the staff was very nice. Again, breakfast was terrible....every tray was empty. My wife was trying to get some food out of one tray and a worker came by and wiped (cleaned) the counter right in front on her.....while my wife was still scooping her food...that was odd. Any way, glad we tried it, but glad we are not there any more.

"girlfrom texas: click on my name and you will see all the places we have been to as I do a review for every one. The ony place that I did not do a review of was our honeymoon at Aventura Spa Palace - which was awesome!! I did not know about TA then.