We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excursion questions - staying at Catalonia Riviera Maya

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo, New York...
reviews: 15
Excursion questions - staying at Catalonia Riviera Maya

Hello All! My boyfriend and I are going to the Cat for the first time in May and are very excited!

I just had a few questions about excursions. We are very interested in ruins and would like to visit both Talum and Coba. What would be the best way to do this - are we better off taking a taxi (there will be 4 of us to split the taxi), booking an excursion or taking the collectivo? How does the collectivo work? Is it safe? We've never been to Mexico before. What is the cost?

Was also wondering about Xel Ha, from looking at the pictures it kind of looks like a resort but I know it's not supposed to be. Is it worth visiting?

Would love any other suggestions on places to visit or suggestions about the Cat!

Thank you!

Chicago, Il
reviews: 53
1. Re: Excursion questions - staying at Catalonia Riviera Maya

Your questions have been answered a little over 1,000,000,000,000,000 times on this forum. Just type in the box above your question & click SEARCH. And scroll through the TULUM forum, too. Xel Ha discussed ad nauseum on Playa del Carmen forum.

Have a great time,

SeaBass

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
2. Re: Excursion questions - staying at Catalonia Riviera Maya

I put this as a top question over in the Akumal forum as its asked often- visit over there and look at the 1st one and the one called RUINS to see how you can get there with colectivo (safe), taxi or excursdion

or here

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g499445-i9177-k4575…

Utah
reviews: 17
3. Re: Excursion questions - staying at Catalonia Riviera Maya

Wife and I have been to mexico a few times now, stayed at the CAT 2 times...make it 3 next week. anyway, we try to visit somewhere new every time. I personally really liked Coba, beautiful place. we took a tour to coba, which included a hike to a myan village, canoe,zip line , lunch etc. full day but very cool. think it was about $125 per person. Tulum is close, right on the coast, very nice ruins. Xel ha is worth a visit too, we have been twice..but once is enough. I would recommend Xplore. Zip lines galore, amphibious vehicles canoe cenotes , food included. Had a blast. You'll pass it on the way to the cat...about 10 minutes away. Akumal beach is a must, also very close to the CAT. Snorkeling there is good...you will see turtles on your way out to the reef. If you want to swim with the Dolphins, they have a dolphinarium right it PA..so its a 5 minute walk from the cat. with the exception of Coba, we took the collectivo everywhere, pretty easy and safe----crowded at times. It's a flat rate..35 pesos. you will walk a bit more as it is not curbside service.

Utah
reviews: 17
4. Re: Excursion questions - staying at Catalonia Riviera Maya

one more thing, Once you get to the CAT...check in then go straight to the Creperie ( yes its included)...crepes and ice cream. good stuff..they open after 5

Buffalo, New York...
reviews: 15
5. Re: Excursion questions - staying at Catalonia Riviera Maya

thank you for your help!!

6. Re: Excursion questions - staying at Catalonia Riviera Maya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 04, 2014