We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphin experience and other advice

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hertfordshire...
reviews: 5
Dolphin experience and other advice

Me and my partner are staying at the Maya Caribe in July for 2 weeks. We have been looking at the dolphin experience. I want to do the experience where you swim with them and he only wants to do the encounter, however he can't swim so he was wondering would the encounter be suitable and how deep is the water?

Has anyone done the excursion to see the ruins and temple?

How much would you advise to tip maids, bar staff etc?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Madison, Wisconsin
1. Re: Dolphin experience and other advice

I can only speak for the Dolphin Discovery in PA, but I assume they all run pretty much the same gig. The guests wear vests that are very buoyant so if he can kick his feet and paddle with his hands a bit, there will not be a problem. We tip ln the 15-20% range pending food/bar service and we would give the maids a couple of bucks for daily service. We had weekly service and tipped more in our condo rental. All the locals work pretty hard to please the tourists and in reality, make very little so a nice tip really makes their day and is most appreciated. Do a little research on TA for the various ruins. There is a wealth of info on each of them.

Utah
reviews: 12
2. Re: Dolphin experience and other advice

We did the dolphin discovery in PA last year. We did the whole experience with manatees and dolphin foot push etc. It was a lot of fun and informative. With the vests there would be no worry.

We have been to the ruins of Coba and Tulum. Coba was an excursion (Mayan Encounter) and Tulum, we just took the collectivo and walked around. Tulum is very close to PA and on the coast, Coba is inland a ways, Both well worth the visit. We plan to visit Muyil this year.

San Antonio, Texas
reviews: 23
3. Re: Dolphin experience and other advice

Since you will not be going until July, maybe you can convince your partner to take some swimming lessons so that he will feel more comfortable in and around the water. There are so many fantastic, wonderful, beautiful places to visit, but many of them encounter water. You will be traveling such a far distance, it would be so awesome if you could make the most of your vacation with out the fear of not being able to do something because of the water.

We will be in Mexico in July as well but at a different resort. I wish for you both, that you have an amazing and relaxing vacation. I love Mexico and I am sure you will too!

Hertfordshire...
reviews: 5
4. Re: Dolphin experience and other advice

Thanks for the replies. I can't wait to get there!

5. Re: Dolphin experience and other advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 02, 2014