We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkling are there sharks?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
reviews: 1
Snorkling are there sharks?

My family are going to Catalonia 8/8/06 we love to snorkle so the beach looks ideal. I am worried about sharks as I have never been to mexico, I also hate snakes( but like lizzards, mad I know) so have I chosen the wrong country? The hotel looks great for our family two children age 12/16. I have spent a very long time choosing a hotel near a small town lots of activities, on the beach etc do people who complain about the hotel not read the travel agents "blerbe" before they book a holiday. I have got my beach shoes packed, I am expecting rocks and the beach looks beautiful even if it is small.

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 8
11. Re: Snorkling are there sharks?

Thanks Naturguy! I'll be sure to look up Karen when we go down there. I can't wait to play with my housing!

Lizzie -- I will definitely let you know about activities for kids our ages. My youngest son, who is 12, doesn't really go for any kiddie stuff-he's pretty mature for his age. So I'm sure the kids club will be a bit boring for him. We are going to take the ATV Junge Tour out of Playa Del Carmen and we are going to spend a day at Xel-Ha. If they enjoy the snorkeling at Xel-Ha, we might take a trip down the coast to Yal Ku Lagoon (from what I hear, a really great place to snorkle for about $6 U.S.)

I am so sad to hear about your lab--we've lost two now and I still miss them sooo much! We got our little guy (in the photo) last summer-when we were supposed to be at the Catalonia! Hurricane Emily came through just days before we were supposed to leave, so instead of going to Mexico we got our little labbie ("Copper"). So we are trying again--this time in June instead of July!

San Jose, California
reviews: 118
12. Re: Snorkling are there sharks?

Lizzie ... Besides the snorkeling - there are loads of other activities for your kids. They have bikes, tennis, volleyball (beach & pool) and many other pool games in the active pool in the afternoons. Your daugher might also like the pottery painting (we do!!) ... or the kayaking - which is in the lagoon - very safe. Additionally - there's always a nice walk into town (PA) to have a look at the dolphins etc. The kids club does all sorts of activities with them (depending on age) ...

Again -no worries - no one will get bored there ... have a wonderful time!

Iowa
reviews: 4
13. Re: Snorkling are there sharks?

we just gor back and loved it! Do take water shoes, lots of rocks. lagoon has fewer rocks. Never saw any sharks or snakes but as others mentioned lots of lizards. We thought they were cool so have lots of pics of them, Snorkel out from the sorkel equipment hut and over by the bridge. Take bread to feed them and they'll eat right out of your hand. We walked to the Marina and did the dolphin discovery. They have seals and mantatas there too you can swim with. The Cat has kayaks, wind surfing, hobie cats and snorkeling. Lots of fun.

CT
reviews: 2
14. Re: Snorkling are there sharks?

yikes, hopefully we won't see sharks. Any tips to stay away from Barracuda's? I can't imagine they are very friendly either??? Are they attracted to humans?

Missouri
reviews: 23
15. Re: Snorkling are there sharks?

We never saw any sharks but we did see some baracudas. They were small so I wasn't worried. I have seen bigger ones in the Keys and have stared some down while slowly backing up in the water away from them. Just don't wear anything shiney in the water and you should be fine.

San Jose, California
reviews: 118
16. Re: Snorkling are there sharks?

We just got back and the snorkeling was amazing!!!

Besides the beautiful fish ... we saw a few squid, puffer fish, little barracudas, a baby lobsterish thing, octopus, BIG grouper and a lovely/huge ray. We went snorkeling about 2-3x per day and saw different things each time! Simply awesome!

And, out of the sea, the iguanas and lizards were really good.

Also, the crabbies we saw over by the bridge.

Atlanta, GA
reviews: 8
17. Re: Snorkling are there sharks?

Hi Lizziejangle! The Cat was WONDERFUL! I've posted pics here:

community.webshots.com/album/551243072glgkJE

(many of which are underwater). Saw 1 small 'cuda (about a foot long) in the small lagoon (almost swam right into him). I got a picture of him, but the water was a bit murky that day because it rained in the morning, so I didn't post that one. The snorkeling was so much fun. I wouldn't worry too much about sharks, but you do want to be cautious when walking & snorkeling--we saw a lot of sea urchins in the rocks & coral. So definitely wear your beach shoes.

The "A-Team" was wonderful--kept things going all afternoon with contests, games and other activities. My kids had a blast (two boys 12 & 15). Of course, there is also kayaking, wind-surfing, ping-pong, foozeball, pool, water basketball...there was never a dull moment. That is, unless you wanted a dull, quiet moment--you could do that, too! It was great--you will have a wondeful time. I wish I were going with you!

18. Re: Snorkling are there sharks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, August 14, 2009