We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kitchener Waterloo
reviews: 1
Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza

We understand it's a 3 hour drive to Chicken Itza but wondered if it is worth the drive or whether Tulum and Coba are wonderful enough. If so, which one would you go to and how far is Coba?

Also how far is Xel-Ha and is it close to Yal Ku Lagoon?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
reviews: 58
11. Re: Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza

If I had to choose, it would be one not mentioned here. It would be Ek Balam.

If you want to do more than one, its easy to do Tulum and Coba in a single day. Thats most often what I do with my visitors and if works out well. And agree with Racandee, a guide is worthwhile at Coba and Chichen if its your first visit.

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Coba
reviews: 12
12. Re: Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza

Definately get a guide to explain what you dcan't even imagine. These were thriving cities and civilizations. The guide at Coba is around $40 for about an hour then you're on your own. I feel it's a bit steep so perhaps you can make arrangements with another group/family to split the bill. Also, if you rent a pedicab to take you back to the pyramid (and other buildings) sometimes you'll get a driver who wants to be a guide :)

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
13. Re: Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza

I agree about the guides. But a friend of mine is a guide and says what the guides tell you is often a mix of fact and fiction. A friend of mine from Switzerland tried it out by asking several guides the same question. She always got different answers. But, they are useful and interesting.

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Coba
14. Re: Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza

so true, we've had a range of caliber of knowledge and profesionalism. We once had a young man who was studying ancient history of his Mayan culture in college and boy was he good! We've also had one who didn't share our enthusiasm for hopping around the buildings "go ahead and look, I'll be under this tree" :)

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
15. Re: Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza

¨ "go ahead and look, I'll be under this tree" :) ¨

Thats my line. Its what I tell visitors who insist on going to Chichen, ha ha.

Beaufort, South...
reviews: 56
16. Re: Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza

And then there is the one much closer to PA that is visited by hardly anyone. It is Xel-Ha (across the highway from the theme park of that name). Much of the theme park was the port for the Xel-Ha community.

The archaeological site is very much DIY. You pay a small admission fee at the entrance, pick up a printed guide and wander at will, getting up as close and personal as you want with the buildings. There are good explanation signs at each building in Spanish, English and Mayan.

The site is divided into neighborhoods. The further section, called "jaguar group" even has a beautiful cenote that you can swim in.

Good examples of Mayan wall paintings at several buildings.

I've been twice and will go back again.

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Coba
17. Re: Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza

Thanks caromex, that is a great idea for those who are visiting the water park too.

Kitchener Waterloo
reviews: 1
18. Re: Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza

Thanks for all the great information! Coba and Tulum it will be given we realized Chichen Itza is a 3 hour drive away.

19. Re: Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 27, 2014