We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kitchener Waterloo
reviews: 1
Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza

We understand it's a 3 hour drive to Chicken Itza but wondered if it is worth the drive or whether Tulum and Coba are wonderful enough. If so, which one would you go to and how far is Coba?

Also how far is Xel-Ha and is it close to Yal Ku Lagoon?

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Coba
reviews: 12
1. Re: Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza

here's a recent thread on that same subject. Of course my preference is Coba :)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k45447…

Jupiter, Florida
reviews: 23
2. Re: Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza

If I could pick just one it would be Tulum. The ruins plus the ocean view and the beach. Just to die for. All have great history. Not sure where you are staying so cannot say how far?

Kitchener Waterloo
reviews: 1
3. Re: Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza

We are at the Catalonia Yucatan and thanks for the suggestions

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya
reviews: 6
4. Re: Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza

Tulum = ruins lite. Fabulous location (right on a cliff) but the ruins themselves aren't that interesting (IMHO) and since most of them are roped off, you can't get up close and personal. You can see the whole site in a couple of hours.

Coba - in the jungle, significantly more extensive ruins than Tulum. Ruins aren't roped off and you can (at least for now) climb the pyramid. Not a climb for the feint of heart or unsound of limb but well worth the effort if you're up for it. Tricycle guys will peddle you around if you're mobility challenged or just don't feel like walking (it can be VERY hot). Much, MUCH more to see and, IMHO, much more interesting than Tulum.

Chichen Itza - never been there myself because I don't want to deal with the commute. Ruins are roped off and you can't climb the pyramid. Very hot (being inland, you'd expect that), very crowded and, according to most reports, many vendors, which can get tiresome. With all that going for it, you have to wonder if it is really IS one of the Wonders of the Modern World or if it just has a really good PR/Marketing department! That said, people who've been typically rave about it.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
reviews: 54
5. Re: Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza

My two choices, Coba and Tulum. I can no longer tolerate the crowds or annoying vendors at Chichen. It does have a good PR group who turned a Seven Wonders designation by a for profit group into a real bonanza , as far as tourists go. You cant go wrong with Coba and Tulum.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
reviews: 2
6. Re: Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza

You can solve most of the negatives with C. Itza by being there when they open.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
7. Re: Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza

If you decide against C. Itza, do both Coba and Tulum but on different days. Arrive near the opening time to avoid heat and crowd issues. You can see cenotes or go snorkeling in Akumal afterwards or go to a place like Hidden Worlds.

Jupiter, Florida
reviews: 23
8. Re: Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza

I think a big mistake a lot of people make is not having a guide to explain the history of the site. HIre a guide otherwise you are just looking at - who knows what?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
9. Re: Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza

Rocks?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
reviews: 75
10. Re: Coba, Tulum or Chichen Itza

Chichen Itza is by far the most impressive set of ruins amongst the three. Sure the buildings at Coba are higher and you can climb on them, but the level of preservation/restoration on the ruins at Chichen Itza, showing the artistic and architectural details, blows Coba and especially Tulum out of the water.

Will you have as good of an experience? That's a tougher call--Coba has the jungle setting with birds and wildlife, and Tulum has the stunning ocean setting.

We had guides for Coba and Chichen Itza, and felt they were worth it. There's no reason to pay for a guide at Tulum. The ruins are fairly pedestrian and it wasn't a major historical site like the other two were.