We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent fishing reports for Puerto Aventuras

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virden, Canada
Recent fishing reports for Puerto Aventuras

We will be staying at the Barcelo Maya Beach Jan 31 to Feb 14 and was planning a fishing day with one of the charters from the marina. Just wondering if anybody has been fishing lately ( in Jan.) and how they made out? I really don't want to pay for just a boat ride. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Edmonton
reviews: 21
1. Re: Recent fishing reports for Puerto Aventuras

Fishing for billfish and mahi mahi is usually slow that time of year so you will likely be trolling for baraccuda or jigging for other species. The two best charter boat companies in PA to check with would be Wasabi Loco or Captain Ricks.

There is another person who runs a small charter operation out of Playa Del Carmen (Robert Navarro - http://webpeche.owally.com/fishing_playa_del_carmen_2011/fishing_playa_del_carmen.html). He gets good reviews on Trip Advisor so you might want to consider him as well.

I will be there in April. Can't wait!

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 39
2. Re: Recent fishing reports for Puerto Aventuras

We can vouch for Roberto Navarro - hubby has used him 4 or 5 times now. He specializes in jigg fishing - hubby loves it. Amberjacks & GT's Double click on my name to see some photos & reviews of Roberto. Hubby has also done the 4 hr bigger boat ride watching people get sick. Bigger fish - bigger prices, and big disappointment. He now prefers the smaller boats or fly fishing the flats of Cozumel, or punta Allen. Nothing makes the ole boy as happy as a day of fishing in paradise.

We will be back for more in march - too bad our timing did not work out to share the costs...

Edited: 2:49 pm, January 24, 2013
Edmonton
3. Re: Recent fishing reports for Puerto Aventuras

The bigger boats can mean bigger prices and a big disappointment but if you read my review on Tequila Sunrise Charters from last April you can see how good "big boat" fishing can be. That trip was the most amazing fishing experience of my life. Multiple sailfish, mahi mahi and a tuna on a four-hour trip.

As you have indicated, fishing for bonefish down towards Punta Allen in the Sian Kaan can also be really fun. There is one outfit (Pesca Maya) that will pick you up from your resort, drive you down for a day of fishing and then take you back again. I did that about 6 years ago and caught quite a few bonefish. Not cheap though.

You can also charter a panga for 3-4 hours in PDC, PA or Akumal. I did that two years ago and hooked into a big sailfish that was lost right next to the boat. You just have to be careful to get someone who knows what they are doing. Way cheaper than the big boats...

That jigging for amberjack looks like fun - have to try it sometime.

Jupiter, Florida
reviews: 26
4. Re: Recent fishing reports for Puerto Aventuras

Would be very suprised if you catch any sailfish in February. Fish migrate so you have to check and see where they are if you want bill fish. April to June yes the Sailfish are there. No one wants to spend $300 to $400 to catch a worthless baraccuda.

Edmonton
5. Re: Recent fishing reports for Puerto Aventuras

I would agree that a sailfish, marlin or mahi mahi should not be expected in February but it can happen. April through June (and into July) is the best time for these species. Last year the fishing stayed good into the early fall.

I wouldn't call baraccuda worthless but they for sure are not in the same class as the top three.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
6. Re: Recent fishing reports for Puerto Aventuras

I agree

I have had much more fun fishing in the smaller 20 foot pangas out of Akumal than the BIG boats out of PA

They fish the same waters

I do the same fishing the big salmon on the BC coast

7. Re: Recent fishing reports for Puerto Aventuras

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, January 27, 2014