We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo question

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
reviews: 72
Barcelo question

What's the difference in staying in the lowest priced section vs. the middle priced section? Are the rooms different? Is the food choice better with the middle one? If we stay at the lowest one, we can still use the pool and beach facilities at the middle, right. It's $750.00 more for our family for the week to stay in the middle priced section. Trying to determine if its worth it. Thanks.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya
reviews: 6
1. Re: Barcelo question

The cheapest priced sections should be the Beach and the Caribe. If you stay here, you have access to the entire beach plus all the pools in the Beach, Caribe, Tropical and Colonial sections, together with the beach bars and beach restaurants in those areas. However, you don't have access to any buffets, a la cartes or theatre other than those in the Beach/Caribe sections. You may wish to note that the buffets in the Beach/Caribe are NOT air-conditioned, which may be a big deal depending upon the time of year you plan on visiting.

If you stay at the Tropical or the Colonial, you have access to everywhere EXCEPT the Palace amenities (i.e. pools, beach bars, beach restaurants, a la cartes, lobby bars, buffets and restaurants).

The Tropical/Colonial rooms are slightly larger than the Beach/Caribe ones ... but not by much.

The Tropical/Colonial sections are more central in the entire five resort mega complex.

The Tropical/Colonial buffets are air conditioned.

If you stay at the Palace, you have the run of the total five resort complex.

If you stay at one of the "lesser" resorts, you can upgrade your buffet or a la carte meals by paying an additional charge, subject to availability.

Unless you're looking at visiting the resort during the summer (when an AC buffet is pretty much mandatory), then I don't think it's s worth an extra $750 to stay in the Tropical/Colonial sections.

I think this answers your question but for tons more info on all things Barcelo Maya, check out http://www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/site/

Colorado
reviews: 72
2. Re: Barcelo question

Great info. Thank you. We're coming in late November (Thanksgiving week) so I'm thinking the lack of A/C in the buffet won't be a huge issue. Any other opinions greatly appreciated!

Chicago
reviews: 5
3. Re: Barcelo question

I would like to ask an additional question about Barcelo Colonial/Tropical.

I just booked a vacation and my travel agent said that they will place a request for Barcelo Maya Colonial, my question is - does the resort usually honor that type of requests or they will give you a room in either one of them?

Thank you!

reviews: 3
4. Re: Barcelo question

Should I bring pesos or can I get by with U.S. currency?

reviews: 3
5. Re: Barcelo question

I' re-sending these two questions as I am not sure I did it properly the first time.

1. While at the Barcelo Maya Beach resort where can I purchase cigars at a reasonable price? The resort or in Playa Del Carmen?

2. Can the room outlets accommodate Canadian appliances ( camera, cellphone, computer) or do I bring an international adaptor?

Tequesta, FL
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
reviews: 7
6. Re: Barcelo question

Gorf:

Pesos or dollars are widely accepted throughout the resort areas, but pesos get you a better rate on your purchases!

Just answered your question #5 at the new thread you just posted...

7. Re: Barcelo question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 21, 2014