We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Returned from EDSS...Questions?

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Peterborough, Ont
reviews: 8
Just Returned from EDSS...Questions?

I just returned from a week week vacation at the EDSS I'm happy to answer any questions.

Wass

Reading, United...
reviews: 3
31. Re: Just Returned from EDSS...Questions?

Thanks for your reply Kris & Terry

Another question, can you book tours at the hotel or do you just use the Thomson excursions?

As we want to visit either Tulum or Chichen but dont want to the the other stuff associated with that tour.

Tricky

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 5
32. Re: Just Returned from EDSS...Questions?

Hi, Tricky: yes; you can book excursions at the hotel; all the travel companies have reps there to book tours (separate room off lobby) and Lomas Tours has a desk in the lobby. There is no lack of tours to choose from; anything and everything! Just make sure to not go for any "free" tours from reps you see at the airport or just out and about; they're selling timeshares and involve a big long presentation and usually a lot of pressure. Even if someone IN the airport says they're from Thomson, tell them "no"; find the Thomson rep OUTSIDE the exit doors, who will have your name on a clipboard with where you're staying.

Not sure what you mean about "don't want to do the other stuff associated w/ that tour"; glad to speak to that if you clarify.

:)

Fairview, Illinois
reviews: 41
33. Re: Just Returned from EDSS...Questions?

Tricky: If you are just wanting to visit the Mayan Ruins, you can take a taxi or colectivo down to Tulum on your own. The structures are not as big, but the location is beautiful. Go early in the morning, figure about 2 hours for the ruins and even with shopping you can be back to the EDSS by lunch time unless you want to spend more time in Tulum or Akumal.

Chicken Itza usually involves a 12 hour trip with most of the day on a bus.

Dennis

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 5
34. Re: Just Returned from EDSS...Questions?

Yes; Tricky; I agree with Dennis; if you're wanting to go to Tulum but not have to deal w/ a tour, and are willing to travel on your own, definitely go use the "Collectivo" vans. They are AWESOME! We really wish we'd have started using them earlier to travel while there, but now that we have, we love them! You walk out the EDSS long driveway (maybe 1/4 mile or a lil more, on a beautiful path)--or one of the bellman can give you a ride to the gate at the highway--and, for Tulum (to travel South), you cross the highway to the other side of the road, and within minutes a white van will pull up to give you a ride! (If a van kinda slows & honks or flashes their lights at you, be sure to wave them over to let them know that "yes'; you want a ride) All the Collectivo vans are white, usually w/ bright turquoise lettering, and they have lots of local workers traveling up and down the main highway.

You get in and tell the driver where you're going (in your case, you want to say, "Tulum RUINS", not "Tulum", as the drop off for the ruins is way before the actual town) and they will take you there! It's probably like $3 each (or less) for the one way ride, the vans are new and clean and air conditioned, and it's just a great system! When you get dropped off on the highway, you'll cross over to the East side, where the entrance to the ruins is; there's a big parking lot w/ shops, a ticket office, etc., and you can either get a shuttle down to the ruins entrance or walk (I'd say it's less than 1/4 mi.). When you go to enter, you want to hire a guide, though; that is the only way to hear about all the history and the ruins; it's very necessary and is only a few bucks. Be sure to bring swim clothes & a towel with you; even though the ruins are right on the ocean, they're on a high cliff and the sun seems to just bake down on the area all day. You'll want to be able to go down the stairs to the beach and cool off in the water. It's a beautiful beach down there and a real missed opportunity if you don't go. Amazing photos too! Be sure to put on, and re-apply, LOTS of bug spray and also bring some drinks or snacks from the shops out by the hwy; I don't think there are any services at the actual ruins.

After you're done at the ruins, you can either take a taxi or walk the beach road that goes South from the ruins right along parallel to Tulum's amazing beaches. (search Google or any of the Riviera Maya travel sites for a Tulum map; it will show you the layout of the ruins vs. the beach vs. the town). There are numerous beach 'clubs' where you can rent loungers, chairs, or beach beds all day and have access to bathrooms, beach showers, etc. as well as food and drinks. If that's not your style or whatever, you can also get a taxi to "Tulum Pueblo" (the town) for shopping, then catch the Collectivo at a station in Tulum for the ride back to EDSS.

Dennis also made a very good point about Chichtzen Itza and other inland ruins; they are LONG day trips, often consisting of 2-3 hours EACH WAY in a bus. If you don't love that kind of time spent traveling in a bus, don't go! They also require MASSIVE amounts of bug spray, etc.

HTH! :)

Reading, United...
reviews: 3
35. Re: Just Returned from EDSS...Questions?

Cheers Guys

Thanks for all the info, Off on the 18th Feb and can't wait!!

Tricky

Halifax
reviews: 23
36. Re: Just Returned from EDSS...Questions?

Hey Wass.....how was the beach? I want to book for Honeymoon, but we are beach people !! Its the only thing holding me back from booking!

Peterborough, Ont
37. Re: Just Returned from EDSS...Questions?

The beach is not good at all. It's difficult to go for a long walk as Hurricane Wilma did a major number on the reef/beach. If your a beach person this is not the resort for you in my opinion.

My wife and I are also beach people and we thought how bad could it be??? we were wrong it was not good at all, which is why you don't see many if any pictures of the "beach" on trip advisor.

A suggestion may be the Valentin Imperial Maya as this resort is about a half an hour away from the Cancun airport, has excellent food and a outstanding beach as well as being adult only.

Good Luck!!

Wass

Halifax
reviews: 23
38. Re: Just Returned from EDSS...Questions?

Thank you! Just the clarification I was looking for!

Im debating VIM or CRT.......cant decide!

Peterborough, Ont
39. Re: Just Returned from EDSS...Questions?

BeccaBee I'm not sure when you looking to go but I'm heading to the VIM next week and would be happy to give you my thoughts when I return.

Good Luck

Wass

40. Re: Just Returned from EDSS...Questions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 24, 2014