We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st-timers, Don't be nervous!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
mpls, mn
1st-timers, Don't be nervous!

Puerto Aventuras, as well as the whole Riviera Maya is v-e-r-y laid-back and casual. The people there are just the same as these helpful, friendly people on this forum. So relax and just have a wonderful time.

Cancun airport can be hot, crowded and stressful. You'll get through it and then it's clear sailing.

Jimmy

Grand Rapids, MI
1. Re: 1st-timers, Don't be nervous!

Jimmy,

I love reading all of your information it makes the days go faster. I think April is farther away then Christmas (at least if feels that way) Anyway, I was reading that sometimes the (Apple) buses at the airport can get crowded and have to make many stops on the way to your hotel so it take longer. Is it not that bad or should we invest in getting a car or a taxi to take us straight to Catalonia?

Also, we are thinking of going snorkeling and I was planning on Xel-Ha. But now I am not sure where would be the best. Also, people were mentioning non toxic, biodegradable sunscreen and that only certain brands were able to be used at some of these places. Does anyone know what brands we can buy in the US and still use them down there? Also, if there are any chain store that cary them? (Wal-Mart, Walgreens, ?)

Michigan
reviews: 1
2. Re: 1st-timers, Don't be nervous!

You can buy the brand "kiss my face" at any health food store, or order on their web site. they also sell it at the places you will be visiting, but I bet it will cost you there..Have fun!

Hope Valley, Rhode...
reviews: 45
3. Re: 1st-timers, Don't be nervous!

Jimmy where do stay and where is your favorite places to visit in Maya....sounds like you been to maya a few times...me too mexico is great isn't it? Cant wait only 5 weeks away....

Hamilton, NJ
reviews: 28
4. Re: 1st-timers, Don't be nervous!

Staying at the Spa Palace. Are there buses in the area that will take you from place to place, so you don't have to go by taxi?

mpls, mn
5. Re: 1st-timers, Don't be nervous!

Hi NJlawgirl,

Just walk out to HWY 307 and flag down a Collectiva. (small bus) If you want to go south, walk across highway, If north to Playa stay on same side of road as spa palace. cost is only about 1-3dollars depending on how far. Pay in pesos if you have 'em. Find best info on everything at locogringo.com

The collectivas are a good cheap way to go if there are only 2 of you. If 3-4, then cab is better because you will usually have about a 1/2mile or mile to walk before you get on and same when you get off. Some of the AI hotels have free bus rides to Playa. Must sign up early in day.

Have a fun time, Jerseygirl.

Jimmy