We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update from PA---10/29

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Orion, Michigan
Update from PA---10/29

Hurricane Wilma Aftermath Update

Electricity has been restored to parts of Puerto Aventuras, Playa del Carmen, parts of Cancun, Akumal including the Poblado and we expect again to be totally illuminated today, Saturday, October 29, 2005. Last night there were a couple of flashes on the marina but no steady light yet. They say it will be a month before all of Isla Mujeres has electricity. No word yet about Cozumel.

The first sunken boats in the PA marina were recovered and people have been diving with Tankha divers for four days now. They are at Club Maeva that has 80% occupancy.

The road is clear to Cancun and it is said that the hotel zone looks like a war zone. Lorenzillos is demolished as is AquaWorld. They say that one of the big 30 story hotels leans like the Tower of Pisa and many were inundated until the third floor with water and sand.

Cozumel has estimated that 50% of the boats have been sunk. It is said to be severely damaged but the local people are getting to work, cleaning things up.

Houses on the beach from Puerto Morelos to Punta Maroma are said to be severely damaged

Sams in Playa del Carmen is fully functioning with new products being delivered by truck daily. As well, Chedraui & DAC are up and running as are many businesses.

The first flight bringing in tourists arrived yesterday. It was a Martinair flight from Amsterdam with 77 passengers.

Xel Ha is open, Garrafon in Isla Mujeres will open in February but XCaret does not yet have an opening date.

We have our eye on Hurricain Beta but it looks like it will go well South to Honduras and Nicaragua

Thanks to our generator, Tiramisu has been open since Monday, serving just about our full menu. We are now open for lunch and dinner and accepting reservations for Thanksgiving.

The "Ley Seca" has been lifted so you can once again buy alcohol in the stores. Be careful of some of the prices. I don't know what it costs for D sized batteries where you are but here, yesterday, a friend paid $22 USD for four batteries!

The Sunscape Hotel is Open and Operating. The Omni is awaiting insurance adjusters to repair their lobby palapa and newly built beach bar. The Catalonia is closed with a collapsed palapa at the entrance.

More later...

Donna

Oklahoma
reviews: 1
1. Re: Update from PA---10/29

Xel-ha is open, but what kind of damage was there? Damage to the restaurants, wildlife (fish-still good snorkeling?), and trees????

Any info is appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

Des Moines, Ia
reviews: 9
2. Re: Update from PA---10/29

thanks for this update. We were scheduled to go to the Catalonia, but are probably rebooked to Grand Pallladium. Can you tell me how far apart the 2 are. Which is closer to PA?

mpls, mn
3. Re: Update from PA---10/29

The Catalonia is IN Puerto Aventuras. The Paladium is about 5 miles south of PA.

Winnipeg Manitoba
4. Re: Update from PA---10/29

My mom and dad have a house in PA but they are in India right now and have no way to know if the house is even still there. I was wondering how much damage was done to the houses and how we could get more info? Thank you

Toronto, Can
5. Re: Update from PA---10/29

I have a friend living in Cancun who took pictures of some of the resorts that are open and running. They really need tourists to visit now more than ever. So many people rely on this industry!

cancunweddingvideo.com/resortsafterwilma.htm…