First off, let me say I have lived or vacationed in Jamaica, Hawaii, Napa, CA, and Lake Tahoe and my husband works for the largest hotel chain in the states. I have been all over with different resorts and I have not one bad thing to say about this resort. The people who posted bad reviews I believe are bitter sad people, if they could not find a piece of heaven here. I will list the positives.
1. Great service from the employees. "Hola" all day long. My husbands hotel has the 10 foot rule (say "Hello" to guest when they are 10 feet away). At this resort easily 20 feet.
2. Food was good to great. If you did not like what you ate (which I did not) try something else. We loved La Hacienda (South Lobby) and the South Lobby restaurant by the pool. Also, La Huerta (North Lobby).
3. Drinks were great. I asked for the top shelf on every drink and I received it. (No hangovers) Tipping does help. Don't be cheap. These employees make $4/day.
4. Bar at South Lobby was fun every night. Good way to have evening coctails and meet people. Plus, good music.
5. Xpu-Ha Palace is a $6 cab drive away and great white sand beach and snorkeling. We went twice. We will stay there next time with our children.
6. NO children!!!!!!!!! I absolutely loved that.
7. Went to Cozumal one day, just okay, howver I had the best meal of my trip there. Find La Lobsteria. It is a must! It is on the corner of 5th Ave / 7th St. Closed on Sundays. Little shack that was awesome. Go there and you will not be disappointed.
8. Rooms with turn down service with chocolate was nice.
9. The mini bar with the hard alcohol dispenser on the wall was my husbands favorite. They stocked it with whatever my husband asked for.
10. Both swim up pool bars were good. But, keep in mind the North Lobby (Geriatrics side) was quite and pool activites. The SOuth Lobby (Party Side) had music, games and pool games. Much more fun. Met alot people playing pool volleyball.
1. 10 days was not enough!!!!!
2. If they call you for a tour, it is a timeshare. If you are okay with that go, otherwise go down to the desk and tell them that you are not interested and they will not bother you again.
I wish a little I would have bought into the timeshare. I plan on going back every year and switch between the Xpu-Ha Palace, when we have the kids. And the Spa Palace when it is just us. We had a wonderful 10 year anniversary. We also met some great people. Hello to Amy & Greg (newlyweds), Mike and Michelle, London (you know who you are) and our Canadian friends. Please ignore all negative reviews. There were some mean old cratchity people on the geriatrics side. Go, have fun and make your own opinions. See ya next yeear
Jen - NV