We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunscape Ixtapa versus Azul Ixtapa with a 16 year old?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago Illinois
reviews: 5
Sunscape Ixtapa versus Azul Ixtapa with a 16 year old?

Can anyone that has been to both resorts (or hotels?) give me an inside scoop? I am looking for a pretty, fun, lovely location that my daughter will find entertaining, and where I can relax. I don't want to feel like I am at a Denny's (some of the Azul photos remind me of that), yet I dread the thought of the towel game and the possibility of not finding shade all day. We have enjoyed the Iberostars in Riviera Maya, and the Dreams in Puerto Vallarta. She loves evening shows, I love good food. If you have been to both, which did you prefer?

6 replies to this topic
Minnesota
reviews: 8
1. Re: Sunscape Ixtapa versus Azul Ixtapa with a 16 year old?

If you want to walk and shop then the Sunscape is probably it for you.

That said, depending on the time frame that you are looking at, yes the towel games can be brutal.

Keith

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 6
2. Re: Sunscape Ixtapa versus Azul Ixtapa with a 16 year old?

Be very aware that the Sunscape was built as just a hotel...with the ocean in the front yard, Commercial Ixtapa shopping as the street/entrance to the hotel...and a hotel on each side..small green space touching each other. You will not find the acres of land like you found at Dreams or Iberostar. Not multiple pools, oddles of restaurants and bars...so be prepared for that. But your daughter would probably like the convenience to the shopping right across the street.

But I personally would not let a 16 year old go there by herself...you should go with her when she wants to go shopping or for ice cream. Just too many temptations for a young gal.

The Azul is out away from the Commercial area of ixtapa...bus it to either Ixtapa or Zihuatanejo...or take a cab.

Both hotels are all inclusive...what can I saw about the food?? Good??...you fill in your guess!! I prefer sit down meals in a restaurant that I chose and being served by friendly local waiters ...whether it be Ixtapa or Zihuatanejo...over a all inclusive...just me, maybe!!

Los Angeles
reviews: 9
3. Re: Sunscape Ixtapa versus Azul Ixtapa with a 16 year old?

Dear Judy, I don't remember the poster asking for child care advice. Please keep your comments on topic. And further the poster did not ask for your personal preferences on dining. The question was to compare the two resorts.

Illinois
reviews: 8
4. Re: Sunscape Ixtapa versus Azul Ixtapa with a 16 year old?

I am forever grateful to the posters on this board and others when they suggested we not stay at an AI property. Most people don't even consider it until someone here assures them that it's safe and a viable option.

Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 38
5. Re: Sunscape Ixtapa versus Azul Ixtapa with a 16 year old?

Activity staff at the Sunscape are great for young adults and I agree with Keith on location to shopping across the street.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
reviews: 9
6. Re: Sunscape Ixtapa versus Azul Ixtapa with a 16 year old?

Personally I see nothing wrong with a seasoned travel agent giving sound advice whether it was requested or not. Whether you choose to read it or follow it is up to each individual. I'm guessing asked or not, Judy would probably have advised against a certain young man traveling solo through rural areas of Mexico on a motor cycle.

Reply to: Sunscape Ixtapa versus Azul Ixtapa with a 16 year old?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted