We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety In Ixtapa

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Wisconsin
Safety In Ixtapa

We are thinking about booking a trip to the Club Med in Ixtapa and have concerns given the travel warnings. We are traveling with three small children (the oldest being 6yrs.). On thoughts on the safety of the area would be appreciated.

Thanks

Minnesota
reviews: 8
1. Re: Safety In Ixtapa

Which travel warning?

The only one I am aware of from the State department says that the coastal tourist cities are safe.

Keith

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
reviews: 32
2. Re: Safety In Ixtapa

Not sure about the US advisory, but the Canadian advisory says in regards to the state of Guerrero that the resort areas of Zihua and Ixtapa are safe. :) No worries, come on down, just use your normal common sense!

Brantford
Destination Expert
for Varadero
reviews: 14
3. Re: Safety In Ixtapa

No worries for me when travelling to this area .

Salt Lake City, Utah
4. Re: Safety In Ixtapa

I have been to Zihuatanejo three times, once in each 2007/08/09 ... I know things have gotten a little "worse" in Mexico since then, but here are my three cents: Ixtapa was always a place that is pretty safe - it's 90% tourists. I didn't go there much. Zihua is much more authentic, loved Zihua. We rented a VW Bug and took off for a day or two at a time, traveling to places like Morelia, Oaxaca, Uruapan, Tingambato, and Patzcuaro. Nothing ever happened... we stayed in what some would call seedy hostels and low-rent rooms. We walked around at night in those places, going to festivals and dancing with locals. It was fine. Now I wouldn't do it today in places like Uruapan or Paztcuaro, which is really sad - but I spent a total of about 2 months in that region being a young dumb kid and never had any problems whatsoever. I went to Valladolid for two days, though, a year later and was mugged by a Mexican cop. Go figure.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
reviews: 26
5. Re: Safety In Ixtapa

Live here now- feel safer than anywhere else. You have no worries. You can scroll down and read other posts about safety- all say the same thing.

UNITED STATES
reviews: 75
6. Re: Safety In Ixtapa

Head on down.

I have been here three times in the past three years part of it solo and walked or bused all over zihua and always felt safe. Wonderful area.

Edited: 7:02 pm, March 05, 2014
River Falls...
reviews: 3
7. Re: Safety In Ixtapa

We go to Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa every year. In order to find out what is really going on in Zihuatanejo, just Google Zihuatanejo Newspapers, there are at least 2 that will come up and then let Google translate the paper if you aren't fluent in Spanish, check out the "police" section.

The papers are interesting to read but watch out, they don't edit the pictures. We are still going this year at the end of April but skipping "Z" this year (With the exception of the drive from the airport). You need to decide for yourself if you feel safe and not go by the things people tell you that don't really know what's going on. Remember Zihua isn't the size of Chicago or Seattle so a comparison isn't a good way to look at it. .

Ixtapa, Mexico
reviews: 2
8. Re: Safety In Ixtapa

Good answer Andy. Yesterday in the Zihuatanejo newspaper was the story of a bus driver driving the bus to Ixtapa who was pulled out of his bus right in front of the big bus station by armed people and his bullet ridden body was found later that day.

Queretaro, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Queretaro
reviews: 10
9. Re: Safety In Ixtapa

Safety for tourists and safety for residents are very different things. Wasn't Orlando recently rated the most crime-ridden city in the U.S.? And yet I still think Disney is safe.

Minnesota
10. Re: Safety In Ixtapa

As I sit here on the balcony at Las Brisas Ixtapa, I find myself less stressed that I do on the streets of St Paul, MN.

Keith