We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ixtapa airport

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
reviews: 47
Ixtapa airport

We'll arrive in Ixtapa on a Saturday which I assume is the busiest day of the week for the airport. About how long of a wait can we expect in the immigration line? What is the process at the customs area (is luggage xrayed or routinely searched)? Where do we meet the representatives for our ride to the resort (we're using Apple and will take their shuttle)? Any other comments or suggestions for us Ixtapa virgins? Thanks, K

28 replies to this topic
Lewiston, California
reviews: 67
1. Re: Ixtapa airport

First its The Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa airport located in Zihuatanejo. There our a few Time Sharks hovering but nothing like say PV or Cabo.

If you go through Customs/Immigration it can take up to a hour but usually less. They use the red light/Green light system at customs but normally if you get a red light the search is minimal.

You walk out of Customs & it is but a few feet straight ahead to the outside door so any reps would meet you in that area.

PS If you switch planes anywhere else in Mexico such as Mexico City you will go through Entry there not Zihuatanejo.

Dallas, Tx
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
reviews: 69
2. Re: Ixtapa airport

Your wait will greatly depend on how many other flights have arrived before yours. If there are no other recent flights you will breeze right through. I would verify who your ride is as the sharks will tell you anything to get you hooked and into one of their cars

Minnesota
reviews: 8
3. Re: Ixtapa airport

The way the flights are running this year, your wait will be as long as the people from your flight that are in front of you.

As you exit Customs turn right, go out the double doors to the parking lot, and you will see the Buses that will be your transport to the hotel.

YOUR REP WILL BE AT THE BUSES

Do Not engage the time share sharks in conversation. Just don't talk to anyone until you get to the bus, and you will be on the road shortly.

Keith

Keith

Trail, Canada
reviews: 2
4. Re: Ixtapa airport

As the guys have said it's usually not too bad a wait . Luggage is routinely scanned after immigration and the carousel pick up and just before the red/green light system . Unless selected , luggage isn't searched and is no longer semi-publicly searched by the airlines as it was done in the past on your return flight .

UNITED STATES
reviews: 75
5. Re: Ixtapa airport

I agree with Keith's advice....

When you come out of the doors at Immigrations and customs there will be all kinds of people saying "oh you need a ride" and they will spot your APPLE Tags and say "OH Apple vacations...right this way" .....wronggg....keep walking past these guys the entire time with a smile saying "no gracias" KEEP MOVING...don't stop till you get to where your APPLE rep will be standing in their bright colored shirt w/ an Apple Vacations sign. Don't stop and chit chat as you will delay others that are possibly on the same transportation shuttle as you....keep moving is the key..... :)

One of the nicest and easiest airports to navigate thru in MX.

ENJOY

BC
reviews: 122
6. Re: Ixtapa airport

Arriving in Zihuatanejo airport (two years ago, but I'll be back soon) I think was the best airport experience I have had. I had zero wait for anything. The people working were extremely pleasant. The airport is very nice and don't worry, it is not possible to get lost.

We were not on a package and they offered to take Canadian dollars to purchase the taxi vouchers at a very high exchange rate. We had pesos, but I thought that was very good marketing skills on their part to be so accommodating.

Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 38
7. Re: Ixtapa airport

I think it is one of the quickest airports to go through customs. We usually come in on Saturdays and it takes 20-25 minutes to get our first beer outside the doors of the airport. The buses will be to your left when you arrive.

Colorado
reviews: 47
8. Re: Ixtapa airport

Thanks for all your replies - we typically go to the Mayan Riviera and the Cancun airport can often be a total zoo. This looks better.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
reviews: 26
9. Re: Ixtapa airport

There have been some changes at the airport in the past 2 months, thanks to one person who wrote a letter of complaint regarding the first impressions of our visitors, and the hassles they endured trying to get past the crowd of people shouting at them as they arrived through customs. Now all the "real" shuttle folks will be behind a tape or line on the floor, to your right. The time share folks will be on your left, and only 1 at a time is allowed to approach arrivers. When that first one engages someone in conversation,etc., the others move down the line and the next one gets to be the one to approach people. This is monitored by security. We have seen them actively monitoring and making time share reps stay behind their "line". It is much improved over what it was, and is definitely less stressful than PV or Cancun!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 6
10. Re: Ixtapa airport

Well, Linda...there are hardly any flights coming into Zihua.;..comparing ZIH airport to PVR and Cancun...come on...more flights in one hour into Cancun and PVR ...than all day into Zihua on its busiest day.

Reply to: Ixtapa airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted