We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groceries etc.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
reviews: 15
Groceries etc.

Arriving after 7pm at a rental at BVG Marina. We will be there for 2 weeks so want to stock up on Monday morning. Where do we catch the bus near the Marina to get to the biggest grocery store - is it Mexicana Commercial? We will need wine, groceries etc. We ideally would take the bus there and taxi back with our stuff. What would the taxi fare back be approx.? Also any suggestions for a bite to eat (casual) near the condo when we arrive on the Sunday night? Thanks!

15 replies to this topic
Minnesota
reviews: 6
1. Re: Groceries etc.

Local rates: www.zihuatanejo.net/localtransport.html

Keith

Traverse City...
2. Re: Groceries etc.

Unfortunately the bus that goes into Zihuatanejo does not go to Commercial Mexicana, you would have to walk or taxi to it part way (20 pesos from downtown Z). The bus will take you to Bodega Aurora but if you are looking for American foods and a good supply of wine/liquor it will not meet your needs. The bus is 9 pesos per person, the taxi 55 pesos (the dollar is worth 13 pesos right now so the taxi is $4.25. Bus to Zihuatanejo will say Zihua Centro, coming back look for Ixtapa Marina or just ask "Marina?"

toronto
3. Re: Groceries etc.

Thanks..we'll just taxi there. But where do we catch the Zihua bus nearest the BVG Marina. Thx.

Lewiston, California
reviews: 63
4. Re: Groceries etc.

If you get off the bus in front of City Hall (Which is next to The Bodega (Walmart owned) you are but 3 blocks from the Commercial Mexicana. Then Cab home.

PS The bus also stops at the Bodega but you were asking about the Commercial which I prefer.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
5. Re: Groceries etc.

There is a bus stop/waiting area just before the Marina...where the drivers take their breaks/lunch...then circle into the Marina "round about" area...and then will pass right by your rental place...just wave them down...there are bus stop signs someplaces in Ixtapa/Zihua...but in your area...and most all of Ixtapa, they will pull over if it is safe for them to do it, when you wave them down. In downtown Z it is harder with much more traffic.

The cab home will be $65 pesos as you are beyond the Ixtapa zone...and the Marina zone is the extra 10 pesos.

Keep in mind that school kids will pack your groceries for you at the Comercial Mexicana store...and they do a very good job...better than packers in the USA who earn a wage for mixing my soap with my ice cream!!! These school kids get no wages...just tips for doing this...and it pays for their uniforms to attend school, as well as money to help feed their families...these are NOT rich kids...these are hard working proud kids who were chosen to have this opportunity. Please tip them...and try to talk to them if you have some Spanish. Some are very quiet and shy, but some you can have lots of fun with. And when you start to leave the store, you will be mobbed by kids who want to help you get your things into the cab...these are not the chosen kids...but kids who live around the area, who are starving for tips...but do watch your things...as they are not very careful with glass items, your purse, etc... I sometimes request that the school person inside come out to get me the cab. Really no "getting a cab" as there are bunches of them...but you get the next cab anyway...but that way the school person is with me...and they will keep away the mobs of other kids. After you have selected your wine, etc...you seriously don't want it broken!

I travel with recycle cloth bags, and I have the school person put a glass item in that and then inside the double plastic bags (Mexico plastic bags HAVE to be doubled...or you won't get past the check out counter without breakage!!!)...and that will keep the glass items from hitting each other...and it also keeps other things from getting wet when items sweat. And then when you leave your condo, you can just leave them for the maid...who will love them!! Or dry them...and use them to pack up any breakable souvenirs that you have purchased...for your carry on bag...or your checked luggage.

Have fun shopping...make a list of what you need on the plane coming down...so that the store isn't overwhelming to you. Keep in mind that the Mexican brands are very good...and sometimes better than the USA/Canadian brands...and they much less in price. When you do the bakery...grab a tray and pinchers...select your items...and you must go to the person in the bakery to bag/price your items...and then just keep them in your cart...and pay at the regular check out along with your other items.

Have a great trip...and please write up a trip report!

Edited: 7:52 pm, August 26, 2013
Lewiston, California
reviews: 63
6. Re: Groceries etc.

Judy is correct Tip the kids that bag your items. Also some of the stores (Like Waldo's) hire senior citizens to bag. They also work for tips only. The "kids" outside by the cab stand often are not kids but HS drop outs or older. I do not use them as many as Judy stated are not careful. Besides that is the cabbies job IMO if he expects a tip at the end of the journey That's just my dos Pesos.

toronto
7. Re: Groceries etc.

Thank you. I see on a map of the Marina area that there is a La Europea not far away. Is this a big liquor store and does anyone know how we walk there from the Marina area? Would it be cheaper and better selection of wine here than at the grocery stores? Thx.

Minnesota
8. Re: Groceries etc.

Use Google street maps and you can see the area for yourself.

Keith

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
reviews: 26
9. Re: Groceries etc.

Can't help you with the Ixtapa stuff, but you were close on the name of the grocery store....Comercial Mexicana.

Enjoy your visit to the Zihua area.

Ixtapa, Mexico
reviews: 14
10. Re: Groceries etc.

Hi, La Europea is a wine store with a good selection of imported wines. It also sells imported food stuff, like pasta, jams, olives, cold cuts, etc. the kind you cant find anywhere else in the area. From your building you can walk to the marina. The store is hidden behind Fishers. Once you get to the marina ask someone for directions.

Reply to: Groceries etc.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted