We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs Question

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
reviews: 1
Customs Question

I'm flying from Chicago to Ixtapa and I must stop in Mexico City. I will go through Customs in Mexico City correct, so I can purchase alcohol in the airport to bring with me to Ixtapa without declaring correct? Just curious if that's a better idea than stopping in Ixtapa on way to hotel.

Minnesota
reviews: 8
1. Re: Customs Question

Don't know why it would be better.

You would have to take your bags out and pack the bottles, then re-check and hope they don't get broken, stewing all of your items in liquor.

Keith

Lewiston, California
reviews: 67
2. Re: Customs Question

If you are talking about the duty free shop the answer is no. You must be leaving a country to buy items at the duty free shop/

As a side note I always bring my Sister -in-Law a sampler selection of tequila purchasing it at the duty free. This year they gave me the packaged sealed to take abroad my flight rather than deliver to my gate. This of cour

Lewiston, California
reviews: 67
3. Re: Customs Question

If you are talking about the duty free shop the answer is no. You must be leaving a country to buy items at the duty free shop.

As a side note I always bring my Sister -in-Law a sampler selection of tequila purchasing it at the duty free. This year they gave me the packaged sealed to take abroad my flight rather than delivered to my gate.

Queretaro, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Queretaro
reviews: 10
4. Re: Customs Question

Generally airports won't allow you to buy duty-free without a boarding pass for an international flight but some places have "duty free on arrival" - I am sure I saw this at MEX. Maybe someone else can confirm?

Chicago
5. Re: Customs Question

Gotcha, didn't know if there were other places to buy liquor outside the duty free. As to why it would be better. I thought it would be better to get the liquor in the airport as opposed to having a taxi stop on the way to the resort and having to carry my luggage through the grocery as I shop. I'm not going to leave my luggage in the taxi while I shop inside. I suppose the best option then would be to just pack liquor in my bag prior to departing for my trip back in Chicago.

Fort Myers, Florida
reviews: 25
6. Re: Customs Question

25 plus years of going to Ixtapa/Zihua and I can tell you, you have nothing to worry about as far as leaving your luggage in the taxi while you shop, this isn't Chicago. If it makes you feel better, just make note of the taxi name and number. Alcohol is readily available in both Ixtapa and Zihua and stores are very convenient to get to. There is a small restaurant and store 100 yards outside the airport where you can get a cold one to tide you over. Send your driver in to get it for you so you won't have to leave your luggage, just don't tell him you're from Chicago or he may not trust you with his taxi.

Chicago
7. Re: Customs Question

haha, thanks Ted. I mean, maybe it's because I've lived in Chicago my entire life, but I wouldn't just leave my belongings unattended in any city in the World. I was just thinking that considering everything I have on me would be in my luggage, just didn't seem like a very wise risk to start your honeymoon off that way. We are staying at Capella, which from what I have read is a ways away from everything, so that's why I was trying to avoid going to hotel and then heading back out for the alcohol and having it when I arrive. You can bring 2 bottles per person into Mexico correct? So maybe just bring a couple bottles on us and then when we head out to the city if we need more we can pick it up later in the trip.

Ixtapa, Mexico
reviews: 14
8. Re: Customs Question

Capella is not that much out of the way. I walk from Ixtapa all the way past to Playa Linda often. A short taxi ride to the marina where there is a liquor store with a nice selection of everything at a good price. And there is really no problem leaving your luggage in the taxi if you want to stop on the way.

Queretaro, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Queretaro
reviews: 10
9. Re: Customs Question

For a moment I thought I was going mad and then I found this: www.dutyfreeonarrival.com/en/airport/368

So it appears you CAN buy duty-free on arrival at MEX airport!

Chicago
10. Re: Customs Question

Thank you very much Steve, that's great news. On that site it says you can bring in 3L of hard booze, 5L of wine, and 1L of champaign. Maybe I should just pack a bag for booze, haha. That's 6 bottles of wine and 4 bottles of booze....mercy! I honestly thought it was 2 bottles total.