We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

other beaches we should visit in Ixtapa for great snorkeling

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 11
other beaches we should visit in Ixtapa for great snorkeling

Maybe I'm wrong but I am guessing other hotels let people use their beaches.or there are public beaches.

what beaches would u reccomend for snorkeling? We are planning on visiting Ixtapa island.and we are staying at the azul.

Thanks!

and I did look at the green bar on this website...not too much on there.Wanted to hear from recent visitors and maybe get some new info that wasn't posted.

Edited: 6:14 am, March 20, 2013
13 replies to this topic
Canada
reviews: 25
1. Re: other beaches we should visit in Ixtapa for great snorkeling

All beaches in Mexico are public, so you can go to any one you wish. The 2 main snorkel spots are Isla Ixtapa, which you mentioned, and Las Gatas. To get to Las Gatas, just go to the pier in Zihuatanejo and get a water taxi. We have always found Las Gatas to be more clear, visibly, of the 2 locations. Isla Ixtapa is often more rough, whereas Las Gatas is nearly always calm..which means better visibility. Early morning, around 9am is best for visibility, before too many people arrive and stir up the sand. One other option is a boat trip (about 25 minutes from Zihua) to Playa Manzanillo. Very small beach there, no restaurants, but it is the clearest for snorkelling...again best in the early morning. You can get a small private boat to take you there, wait for you, and bring you back. You can arrange for lunch to be provided or not. You can also book a catamaran trip to there and be with lots of party-minded folk. Quite a few options for you. I hope you have a wonderful visit to the Zihuatanejo area.

Canada
reviews: 25
2. Re: other beaches we should visit in Ixtapa for great snorkeling

You mentioned that you checked the green bar and didn't find very much. I think perhaps you checked the green bar for Ixtapa?? Please try the green bar for Zihuatanejo- click "things to do", then "activities" and I think you will find there is much more to learn about.

Dallas, Tx
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
reviews: 65
3. Re: other beaches we should visit in Ixtapa for great snorkeling

You can also check "Top Questions" located on the right side of this page for Snorkeling.

Trail, Canada
reviews: 2
4. Re: other beaches we should visit in Ixtapa for great snorkeling

Las Gatas as Linda suggests . Take a cab to the Downtown Zihua pier . Walk around that tourist area before and or after your Las Gatas time . The water taxi at Las Gatas or Isla Ixtapa is cheap and keep your stub for a free return trip on demand . Two of the best , very inexpensive activities in Mexico with food and drink choices at either place . Total cost at either place , with the boat ride , can be 20 bucks for both people with a beer and some guacamole . You can picnic for free at either place , finding your own shade but the food and drink with included shade is very reasonably priced .

Lewiston, California
reviews: 63
5. Re: other beaches we should visit in Ixtapa for great snorkeling

Do not expect great snorkeling. It just is not in this area. Linda's suggestion are good. Manzanillo beach is the best IMO. A boat is required. Makes a nice day trip.

Also hiring a boat in Zihuatanejo cruising to Isla Ixtapa fishing on the way is a great day. Have your catch cooked at a beach cafe while you snorkle.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 11
6. Re: other beaches we should visit in Ixtapa for great snorkeling

Thank you for all of these. I am printing everything out today because we leave Friday! Thank you.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
reviews: 27
7. Re: other beaches we should visit in Ixtapa for great snorkeling

Enjoy your trip!

The best snorkeling we have had in the area that is also easy to get to is Las Gatas and Playa Coral on Isla Ixtapa....but as mentioned, don't expect 'great' snorkeling here, it's so-so. But a bad day of snorkeling still beats a great day at the office!

Lake Ridge, Virginia
reviews: 48
8. Re: other beaches we should visit in Ixtapa for great snorkeling

Hello, we are planning our trip in June, and will be first timers to the area. We are staying at Clubmed. If we wanted to go to Isla Ixtapa or the other locations, would the closest boat taxi be in Zihua, or is there one in Ixtapa proper? Also, how much is a taxi from CM to the pier in Zihua (aproximately). I know CM has their own excursions, but we enjoy exploring on our own, also can save $$ by doing it this way. Thanks for any and all advice!!

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 15
9. Re: other beaches we should visit in Ixtapa for great snorkeling

For Beentheredonethat73 -

I haven't been yet but I understand that the Club Med is on Play Quieta - and is the next beach south from Azul Grand (where we are staying late March).

From Azul Grand - I've read that we can walk north to Playa Linda via the boardwalk and then take the water taxi to Ixtapa Island (water taxi is 40 pesos per person round trip) I understand it's a 10 minute walk to the pier and a 5 minute water transfer to the island - so it should be walkable from Club Med

Minnesota
reviews: 6
10. Re: other beaches we should visit in Ixtapa for great snorkeling

The closest boat taxi to Isla Ixtapa from the Club Med will be just about a kilometer up the beach at Playa Linda.

If you Google Zihuatanejo, MX and select for maps you can scroll north to see where you will be staying.

Street View is also active for the area.

Keith

Reply to: other beaches we should visit in Ixtapa for great snorkeling
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted