We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Question - Capella Ixtapa

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
reviews: 1
Taxi Question - Capella Ixtapa

I think the hotel charges $140 USD for airport transfer. Am I better just setting up on my own 3rd party or is that an ok deal? It's probably less hassle to go through them, so if it's a bit inflated no big deal, but if I could do it for $40 on my own, I rather do that.

WISCONSIN..U.S.A
1. Re: Taxi Question - Capella Ixtapa

Hi..last year I paid $35.00 or 350 peaso's from airport to the Dorado downtown Ixtapa even if it is another $ 10.00 it would be cheaper to take a cab...that is one way and the return is always cheaper....LOL..

Edited: 12:42 pm, January 31, 2013
Minnesota
reviews: 6
2. Re: Taxi Question - Capella Ixtapa

If you just grab your own taxi at the airport you will pay around 450 Pesos.

That's about 35 bucks at today's exchange rates. But you must pay in Pesos for that price or you will get a 10 to 1 exchange rate and pay 45 bucks.

That 140 is for a private car from the hotel to pick you up.

Keith

Edited: 12:45 pm, January 31, 2013
Ixtapa, Mexico
reviews: 14
3. Re: Taxi Question - Capella Ixtapa

You dont need to spend so much. Taxis are safe and available.

Valley of Heart's...
4. Re: Taxi Question - Capella Ixtapa

Hi wandalsh84, have you gone to Capella Ixtapa yet? We are going to be there on July 19th and would like to know the actual taxi rate to pay for from ZIH to Capella Ixtapa. Also, is it easy to get a cab from Capella back to ZIH? I've read that the ride back to ZIH is always much cheaper but given the isolated location of Capella Ixtapa, I wonder how easy it is to get a cab to the airport. BTW, the private car transfer from Capella Ixtapa to ZIH is quoted to me for $107US round trip so it's not that bad.

Gurnee, Illinois
reviews: 17
5. Re: Taxi Question - Capella Ixtapa

It is incredibly easy to get a taxi at the airport and your hotel. We've done this at least 6 times. A taxi is my preferred way to get to Ixtapa.

We were supposed to have a roundtrip private car included in our Apple package one year. They met us at the airport just fine. However, they didn't show up at the hotel when scheduled. Luckily we were able to get a taxi at Las Brisas and Apple reimbursed us.

Valley of Heart's...
6. Re: Taxi Question - Capella Ixtapa

Hi MMouseAlumni, I think a taxi is easy to get from hotels in the downtown area or hotel zone but Capella Ixtapa is very isolated so that's why I wonder. Also, I read from TripAdvisor to NOT use USD to pay for taxi rides as the exchange rate is much worse at only 10 pesos to $1US while the official is more like 12 pesos. However, our Credit Union would charge us $5/transaction to use ATMs not in the Cirrus system and there not seems to have 1 at ZIH. I'm just surprised how hard it is to change our USD to Pesos with the rate of 12 Pesos to $1US at ZIH (from the TA article, most banks don't accept USD to exchange to Pesos). However, the TA article also said that using debit cards such as BoA to withdraw cash at ATMs affiliated with your banks won't incur any fee but that's not true because BoA charges 1% international transaction fee. If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Ixtapa, Mexico
reviews: 14
7. Re: Taxi Question - Capella Ixtapa

Capella is not isolated, it is in hotel zone 2 along with other other hotels, such as Azul, Club Med... a regular taxi from the airport will take you there. It is not wise to pay with any other currency than pesos. Some businesses will not take US or Can$. The best way to get pesos is at the ATM, fees are minimal. ATM's are everywhere, there is one at the airport. Have a good time.

Valley of Heart's...
8. Re: Taxi Question - Capella Ixtapa

Hi snowbird054, THANK YOU for correcting me. I had no idea that Capella was not in an isolated location. I just based that from their location picture showing the hotel on the cliff. Yes, I just confirmed that BoA Debit card still charges a 1% international transaction fee for withdrawing money from ATMs at BancoSantander in Mexico which is the only one affiliated with BoA here, just not the $5 transaction fee (if used an ATM not from BancoSantander).

Fort Myers, Florida
reviews: 25
9. Re: Taxi Question - Capella Ixtapa

Isolated or not, like any other hotel around the world, you want a taxi, just ask the front desk to get you a taxi. As for Apple Tours, while transportation is normally include in your package, you are at the mercy of their arrangements which means their time schedule. This can result in a wasted hour or two from the time you exit the airport, and on your day of departure, a return time requiring you to be picked up from your hotel 3-4 hours before your flight time. Hurry up & wait!

If you're like most of us, you want to get your toes in the sand ASAP and you want to delay those last minutes of sun as long as possible.

Gurnee, Illinois
reviews: 17
10. Re: Taxi Question - Capella Ixtapa

Today's exchange rate is 13 to 1. That means your break-even point for the $5 ATM fee is when you withdraw around 840 pesos($65+$5 ATM fee) = $70 exchanged at a 12 to 1 rate. You are winning the exchange game whenever you use the ATM and take out more than $65. My credit union reimburses me for ATM fees so it is never an issue.