We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

isla ixtapa lockers to secure stuff when snorkeling?

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
reviews: 12
isla ixtapa lockers to secure stuff when snorkeling?

We are going on our own to the island this afternoon to snorkel and want to be able to stash our valuables (e.g., camera) safely. Is there a place to rent a locker or something like that on ixtapa island?

thanks a bunch

Castro Valley...
reviews: 58
1. Re: isla ixtapa lockers to secure stuff when snorkeling?

I take no valuables to any beach. I have a water proof tube that goes around my neck to hold my house key & what cash I bring for the day. A book, Possibly sun tan lotion & a towel. That's about all I need. Nothing that will break me or cause me loss of sleep.

However If you ask your waiter to safe guard your

valuables" most will especially after a trip or 2.

I know of places that actually store items from year to year that regular patrons leave.

Trail, Canada
reviews: 2
2. Re: isla ixtapa lockers to secure stuff when snorkeling?

You can restrict your valuables to your camera and eyeglasses and ask a waiter or beachmate to watch these things for you . Try to restrict other valuables and bring only cash that can survive getting wet , much of the small bills are plastic anyway and the old paper bills survive well . A zippered pocket and a heavy duty zip loc are what I use . Many times the seal on the bag will fail but wet money is happily accepted . The set up is similar at Las Gatas , also worth a day trip . We have lost nothing at any beach in Zihua with admittedly lax attention to safety on our part . Enjoy

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
reviews: 25
3. Re: isla ixtapa lockers to secure stuff when snorkeling?

What we do is just snorkel separately. Or, we have also just asked the waiter or other guests we might have chatted with to keep an eye on our stuff.

Castro Valley...
reviews: 58
4. Re: isla ixtapa lockers to secure stuff when snorkeling?

A number of years ago I went in the water on Madera, then walked the beach back & forth about 8 times, On returning to my favorite palapa I discovered my towel missing,

I wrote it off to some of the kids who often hang there.

The next day it was back! Obviously someone had taken it by mistake returning it when they discovered their error.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
5. Re: isla ixtapa lockers to secure stuff when snorkeling?

That is a nice story, I love to hear those and there are several!!

We really never worry too much about keeping a hawk eye on our stuff or making sure we lock ALL valuables up when leaving our room, and in 28 trips to Mexico, have never had a single thing go 'missing'. :)

Not that we bring true valuables, but cameras, Kindle, iPods, smartphones, iPads, constume jewelry, etc.

Seattle
reviews: 1
6. Re: isla ixtapa lockers to secure stuff when snorkeling?

Speaking of " lost" and then returned towels (lovely story - thanks for sharing), What is the typical approach to having towels on the beach. We're staying in Zihua but planning day trips to Isle Ixtapa, Las Gatas, etc. Do people bring their own towels from home? Take hotel towels for the day? Towels to buy or 'rent' on the beaches?

Fort Myers, Florida
7. Re: isla ixtapa lockers to secure stuff when snorkeling?

The Mexican people don't miss anything. Just ask your waiter to keep an eye on your stuff and you'll be ok. In 25 years of going to Ixtapa and Zihua, we've lost nothing. This is their livelyhood and they want to protect it along with the valuables of their customers. If you're going to Ixtapa Island to snorkle, go the the coral side (Coral beach) and go to restaurant Princess Rebeca. Ask for Ischmial (tell him Kasha and Ted sent you) and he will take go care of you and your personal items..

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
8. Re: isla ixtapa lockers to secure stuff when snorkeling?

moserbell- what we always do when going away from the resort and we want a towel, is we each take a pareo (AKA a sarong).

They are light, dry quickly, fold easily for stuffing into a backpack or bag, and can be used as a towel, cover-up, or beach blanket.

If you don't have one, they can be bought almost anywhere, including most beaches. About 90-120 pesos.

San Jose, CA
reviews: 53
9. Re: isla ixtapa lockers to secure stuff when snorkeling?

Great suggestion. Thanks. Ischmial may be overloaded. LOL

Edited: 5:02 pm, January 18, 2013
British Columbia...
reviews: 32
10. Re: isla ixtapa lockers to secure stuff when snorkeling?

Like most people here, we do not take valuables with us except for a camera (water proof), some cash and a room key. Cash and key go in a plastic bag and into hubbies zipper pocket on his trunks. One thing I do worry about is my "flip flops" - I buy expensive ones that I use for walking everywhere, great shoes. I'd heard stories of shoes going missing on the beach in Cuba, and though it may be different in Mexico, I make a point of wearing a cheap pair when I go snorkeling.

Regarding the special water proof pouches - we bought an expensive one, and fortunately only put money in it the first time we used it, because it leaked like a sieve....No better than a regular ol' zip lock bag.

Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa