We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park Royal Ixtapa ...have you been?

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 11
Park Royal Ixtapa ...have you been?

I am considering booking this for spring break. We have a 13 year old daughter and I am wondering if there will be other kids her age there to hang with. I can not find a lot on these forums about this place. We are looking for relaxation and sun plus I need the place to have good drinks and be clean! We could also stay at the dorado sunscape but it is almost 600.00 more. This is our 1st trip to Mexico besides cruises. Thank you for your input. Oh also are there markets or things nearby to do?

20 replies to this topic
Illinois
reviews: 7
1. Re: Park Royal Ixtapa ...have you been?

I've never stayed at the Park Royal, but the location is good, and I"m ccertain there will be plenty for your daughter to do at the pool. Can anyone can comment on activities at Park Royal?

Ixtapa has a great beach and right across the street from your hotel is a very good restaurant, Solaiedo. You can easily walk around Ixtapa to other restaurants and to a small market or go to Isla Ixtapa for a day (requires bus or taxi). I highly recommend taking a cab to Zihua and shopping/eating there.

Your post was interesting to me because Ixtapa was our first Mexico vacation after cruising. We adored it and have been back several times since. My daughter was in high school when we first went and loved every minute of it.

Illinois
2. Re: Park Royal Ixtapa ...have you been?

PS don't be afraid to try a non-AI hotel like Krstyal. You can charge your breafkast/lunch to your room, then go out in Ixtapa and Zihua at night for dinners. It's a lot more fun than being a prisoner to AI buffets.

Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 36
3. Re: Park Royal Ixtapa ...have you been?

If you are looking for an AI for your 13 year old and want to stay on the main beach in Ixtapa I would recommend the Barceló or Sunscape. You will see many families from Mexico on the weekends but during the week you will not see many kids. Ted&Julie

Lumby, Canada
reviews: 6
4. Re: Park Royal Ixtapa ...have you been?

I'm pretty sure the Park Royal is a smaller part of the Barcelo Ixtapa....if this is the one you are talking about I have been there. It is a 3 or 4 storey building off to the side of the main hotel. It is a lot roomier, has a deck, some with jacuzzi's on them, fridge, sink and some have 2 bathrooms. They are not fancy but they are nice. I am going back for a second time and I have requested this area as I found it very nice. It is very close to the beach and the adult pool with the swim up bar is right in front of it. If you want a fancier room I would suggest you stay in the main hotel. Hope this helps.

Illinois
5. Re: Park Royal Ixtapa ...have you been?

The Park Royal and Barcelo are practically at opposite ends of the beach in Ixtapa.

Madison, Wisconsin
6. Re: Park Royal Ixtapa ...have you been?

TerBear - You are thinking of the timeshare condo's that are in the same complex of the Barcelo and you can buy the AI package to the Barcelo if needed.

Fort Myers, Florida
reviews: 25
7. Re: Park Royal Ixtapa ...have you been?

Royal Vactions (timeshare) vs Park Royal

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 11
8. Re: Park Royal Ixtapa ...have you been?

Thank you for your responses.I did go ahead and book the Park Royal. It sounds like it is decent. I will just go with an open mind. I know we are paying more because of the week we are going.

I like the advice of trying different restaurants even with the AI. We wanted the AI bc of the ease. We figured at dinner we would go explore town.

I figure even if it is not the greatest, it is still better than a week in the cold and at work!! I think it should be nice.

Madison, Wisconsin
9. Re: Park Royal Ixtapa ...have you been?

Jimswife - We have done AI for the past 4 years for the convenience at the resort (breakfast, drinks all day, lunch & dinner a few times) and then explore across the street and into ZIH for dinner and even lunch options a few times.... Enjoy!! 13 more days for us at the Sunscape! Ted&Julie

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 19
10. Re: Park Royal Ixtapa ...have you been?

As long as you have a bed, food, hot weather and booze you cant go wrong. No snow on the beach and how much time do ppl really spend in their room?? All good in Ixtapa...

Reply to: Park Royal Ixtapa ...have you been?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted