We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do/see (staying at Dorado Pacifico)

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
British Columbia...
reviews: 37
Things to do/see (staying at Dorado Pacifico)

I am getting seriously excited about our upcoming March 2 week stay at the Dorado Pacifico. We have been to Mexico twice before (Puerto Vallarta and Bucerias), and have been to various places in the Caribbean....our favorite thing to do is explore the area we are in, meet locals, see the sights (anything from museums to snorkeling). We don't normally go for organized tours, but enjoy hiring private drivers or (as is my own favorite) doing walking tours. So I'm curious to know what sights of interest are close by to the Dorado Pacifico........we are a fit couple in our forties, and don't mind walking an hour or more to get where we are going (will also cab or bus it if need be)......would love to hear thoughts and ideas!

Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 36
1. Re: Things to do/see (staying at Dorado Pacifico)

walk out your door of the resort and walk either way or across the street to the small outside mall. ZIH is only a quick cab ride away (you can walk if you are in good shape) and you can spend days touring this area from the town to the many beaches. Most first timers go to Ixtapa Island for the day but it is very tourist.

Fort Myers, Florida
reviews: 25
2. Re: Things to do/see (staying at Dorado Pacifico)

Another way is to just walk out to the sidewalk and head right a couple hundred feet to the first bus stop. For about 7-8 pesos you can ride right into downtown Zihua which is compact and very walkable. Tell the driver you want to get off at the "Electra" store and they will see that you get out there. From that point, head across the boulevard and 2-3 blocks down, you will be at the big open air market or continie another 2-3 blocks down and you will be at the bay of Zihuatanejo where you can walk left or right to different little local beaches. You can't get lost in Zihua as the locals are very friendly and always willing to help you find your way. Worst case, catch a taxi and tell him to take you back to your hotel.

Lewiston, California
reviews: 63
3. Re: Things to do/see (staying at Dorado Pacifico)

Petatlan, Barra de Potosi & Troncones are all great day trips.

A boat trip across Zihua Bay to Las Gatas beach spending the day at one of the fine restaurants, snorkeling & swimming. Beach shoes a must due to the coral.

Sunday night at the main plaza of Zihua is a true Mexican experience.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
reviews: 27
4. Re: Things to do/see (staying at Dorado Pacifico)

Apart from wandering around Ixtapa hotel zone, I agree with strolling around Zihua too- there are many pedestrian-only cobbled streets, with awnings to keep you cool (or dry, in rainy season) with loads of interesting little shops and great restaurants.

One trip we started at the pier and walked all the way around the bay to Las Gatas, with a few pit stops along the way. Wear good, sturdy walking shoes, take a pack with a pareo, hat, water, camera! We walked over the rocks to Las Gatas beach, then caught the water taxi back to the pier (paid cash as we had no return ticket!)

British Columbia...
5. Re: Things to do/see (staying at Dorado Pacifico)

Great ideas! Thank you!

Minnesota
reviews: 6
6. Re: Things to do/see (staying at Dorado Pacifico)

Go fishing!

Keith

Illinois
reviews: 7
7. Re: Things to do/see (staying at Dorado Pacifico)

You didn't say if you first-timers to the area or not but in case you are, please give yourself some time to adjust to the heat and humidity before walking for an hour. Go early and take lots of water.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 11
8. Re: Things to do/see (staying at Dorado Pacifico)

Personally, I think if mobile and active enough, rent a bike in ixtapa and make sure you take the bike path to the crocodile sanctuary at Playa Linda. The path is very well manicured and there is so much to see on the way including local birds, vegetation etc. The path is also heavily shaded in most areas which is nice and ends right into the must see sanctuary. Make sure you go to La Ropa Beach and walk around the area. The views are so beautiful of the bay. Enjoy.

Canada
reviews: 26
9. Re: Things to do/see (staying at Dorado Pacifico)

You might check on the left side of this page, under things to do, then activities.

British Columbia...
10. Re: Things to do/see (staying at Dorado Pacifico)

Great ideas! Thank you!

We are first timers, but will heed the warning re: heat. I have checked out the activities/things to do on tripadvisor, but sometimes it's the little places that are the best, though they don't necessarily show up on TA. I like the bike idea, too. Where can one rent a bike? Or even better, are there scooter rentals somewhere?