We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline direct/Vacation reseller; 2012 best prices so far?

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
reviews: 8
Airline direct/Vacation reseller; 2012 best prices so far?

So is everyone finding better luck from your respective airline vacation package or from an online reseller?

This would exclude any local offices or city specific sellers - just the majors like Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, etc. versus the actual airline itself.

This year our trip has found a MUCH better price from the airline itself compared to the main online options. Like thousands of dollars better. Our trip as of this morning is $1200 more on Travelocity, $1600 more on Orbitz and $1700 on Expedia vs. the airline direct (WestJet). And this is even with the WestJet price going up $800 since we purchased it...

How did you book your trip/expect to book your trip this year or where is the better prices for 2012 in your opinions? Or if you do have a city specific place that has given you a good deal, list it for others to see!

Fort Myers, Florida
reviews: 25
1. Re: Airline direct/Vacation reseller; 2012 best prices so far?

Hey Sandy, Between lost luggage, schedule changes, seat assignments changed, spending an extra night in a hotel and city i'm not crazy about, wasting a whole vacation day with plane changes, traveling at weird hours plus all the other problems created with the airline mergers, we try to use charter flights whenever possible. This year we're paying about $100 more per ticket which is worth it to me when you consider you can eliminate most of the above, get on a plane (in Milwaukee) at 8:30 a.m. and be on the beach by 2:00 that same afternoon.

In our 25 years of going to IxtapaZihua we've tried them all and have all the "flight from hell" stories to share. Half those airlines don't even exist any longer and the other half are going through merger pains. It's going to be interesting to see what that business landscape looks like 5 years from now.

We see a number of "Mexico friends" down there every year and when I hear what they have to do to get there from the east coast or parts of Canada, I feel very fortunate that we still have the options that we do. Those same charter flights after having been available for a number of years were halted during the 2010-11 season but were started again (thank god) in the fall of 2011.

Calgary, Canada
2. Re: Airline direct/Vacation reseller; 2012 best prices so far?

I with you Ted, I have heard many horror stories just to get to the IXT/ZIH area by air (mostly from the Eastern states/provinces) - so I am glad it is almost too easy to get there from Calgary! I thank the stars that I happened to find my favourite place in Mexico (so far) and it is both easy and affordable from my location - sorry to rub it in if it sounds like it folks. ;-)

I am also one to pay the premium for direct flights - not worth potential hassle and extra time. The airline mergers in the US sound just plain horrendous...way too many bad stories...but I guess you don't hear the good ones as much on travel forums!

Minnesota
reviews: 6
3. Re: Airline direct/Vacation reseller; 2012 best prices so far?

Sandy,

I have found off-season the best deals have been Orbitz or Priceline for us from Minneapolis. This year it was Priceline. They were a couple of hundred cheaper even with the Orbitz coupon, and we could book the Jr Suite at Las Brisas direct though them for a substantial discount.

In-season for our March trips we have done the best with what is now Deltavacations.com (MLT)

The couple that I don't much bother checking any longer have been Expedia and Travelocity. They are just about always 15-20% higher for our trips.

I do use them fro reference once and awhile, but I think that the last trip that I booked though Expedia was in 2005 for a December fishing trip.

Keith

winnipeg
reviews: 33
4. Re: Airline direct/Vacation reseller; 2012 best prices so far?

direct book with delta $2100 for a family of 4 booked in sept !! same trip today is at $ 4000 !!! but suncountry has same pricing around $2100 used suncountry last time was great !! just a drive to msp from winnipeg no problem !!

Calgary, Canada
5. Re: Airline direct/Vacation reseller; 2012 best prices so far?

@Labrat - yeah, I wish I could use Priceline for another option but Canadians can't really use it. I ain't driving to a US location to fly out of, so Priceline is kinda useless to me unfortunately. Interesting that they have the Junior Suite option as I have never seen it offered anywhere prior! Last year we booked via Expedia as it was definitely cheaper for our specific package, but this year it is not even close - that is what I find weird. A few hundred dollars I can understand, but when you are at $1500+ more it seems off for some reason...

ah well...

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
6. Re: Airline direct/Vacation reseller; 2012 best prices so far?

We are looking for a flight in February and so far the flights are crazy expensive.....like around $1000 per person....yikes

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
7. Re: Airline direct/Vacation reseller; 2012 best prices so far?

Just checked WestJet, for the Saturday to Saturday flight, it's $1128 per person....ouch ouch ouch.... :(

Fort Myers, Florida
8. Re: Airline direct/Vacation reseller; 2012 best prices so far?

How far of a drive is it from Winnipeg to MSP?

Minnesota
reviews: 6
9. Re: Airline direct/Vacation reseller; 2012 best prices so far?

A little over 450 miles so about 7 1/2 to 8 hrs in good driving conditions.

Keith

Lewiston, California
reviews: 63
10. Re: Airline direct/Vacation reseller; 2012 best prices so far?

Yeah By Dog Sled! LOL