We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any place or tour to see wild dolphins

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Durand, Wisconsin
reviews: 6
Any place or tour to see wild dolphins

I'd like to go out on the ocean and see dolphins in their natural habitat (not a swim with the dolphins deal). Is there any tour to do this?

Canada
reviews: 26
1. Re: Any place or tour to see wild dolphins

Any fishing boat will take you out and you COULD see dolphins if they happen to be in the area of your boat. There are no guarantees- they stay in any particular spot. It's not uncommon to see them when out fishing. You can certainly go out on one of the fishing boats and not fish if that's not your thing.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
reviews: 27
2. Re: Any place or tour to see wild dolphins

Linda is correct.....we have seen more dolphins when out fishing around Ixtapa/Zihua and in Huatulco than we have seen anywhere else in Mexico- but it is far from guaranteed, too.

It might be mportant to note too that they are not the popular, intelligent and endearing bottlenose variety but more commonly a smaller species, spinners, or spotted porpoises, say. I have actually heard people express suprise that the dolphins they see in the wild in this area are not 'Flipper'....lol!

Edited: 12:25 pm, November 14, 2012
Lewiston, California
reviews: 63
3. Re: Any place or tour to see wild dolphins

Almost always see a pod (Herd?) off Playa Larga/Blanca/Potosi but as the others say no guarantee.

UNITED STATES
reviews: 55
4. Re: Any place or tour to see wild dolphins

We saw some headed out early a..m. for fishing but that was in March.

Illinois
reviews: 7
5. Re: Any place or tour to see wild dolphins

You might also see whales as we have twice, once on the Picante snorkeling trip and also from our room at the Dorado.

Fort Myers, Florida
reviews: 25
6. Re: Any place or tour to see wild dolphins

For a fee ($100-$150) you can also go down to the dolphinarium and swim with them in a large swimming pool.

Monument, Colorado
reviews: 1
7. Re: Any place or tour to see wild dolphins

Oh boy............

Tick, tick, tick, tick,.......

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
8. Re: Any place or tour to see wild dolphins

It's ok, it's not the Mayan Riviera forum.....lol...

I will say the one in Ixtapa had the most deplorable conditions of any dolphin facility I have seen anywhere.

Fort Myers, Florida
reviews: 25
9. Re: Any place or tour to see wild dolphins

Dolphin Factory?????? They don't make them there, they just imprison and destroy them there.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
10. Re: Any place or tour to see wild dolphins

who said factory, Ted? lol