We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which or is there better?

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
reviews: 1
Which or is there better?

Hello - Planning my first trip to Ixtapa for early December and am trying to decide between the Barcelo or the Sunscape Dorado. Any thoughts or input? Or is there a better option? They price out about the same, and I'd be willing to spend a little bit more for something that fits, but I'd like to be close to restaurants, beach (or other) bars, shopping, etc., if that's possible (I am REALLY not familiar with the area..). My vacations consist of relaxing, relaxing, and more relaxing, but I like getting out and about with little hassle as well. Your input is appreciated!

Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 35
1. Re: Which or is there better?

Between the two I would select the Sunscape. I like the no wristbands and towel card thing and the rooms are better at the Sunscape. Both are walking distance to restaurants, shopping, bars and it is a short taxi ride to ZIH.

Portland, Oregon
2. Re: Which or is there better?

Thanks for the info, no wristbands is a good thing. I'm leaning toward the Sunscape. Is there another place you would recommend apart from the two?

Fort Myers, Florida
reviews: 25
3. Re: Which or is there better?

I've stayed at both of them and both are a good choice but the Sunscapes in my opinion is a big notch above the Barcelo

Portland, Oregon
4. Re: Which or is there better?

Great to hear - I think that's what we're going to go with. Thanks to you both!

UNITED STATES
reviews: 48
5. Re: Which or is there better?

have a fun trip...don't forget to take a ride over to Zihua for wonderful food at reasonable prices.

Enjoy!

Minnesota
reviews: 6
6. Re: Which or is there better?

I will interject My Usual.

The A.I. rates in the area are around $90 pp per day U.S

There are a couple of EP hotels left.

If your plans are to head off property for dinner, you may wish to give the EP hotels a look.

Keith

Edited: 11:08 am, August 27, 2012
Portland, Oregon
7. Re: Which or is there better?

Keith - any recommendations? I have only done AI twice, but I do like the idea of being able to get breakfast and drinks throughout the day without having to worry about it. In the past I have only done EP (actually more like condo style). Not familiar with the area, so any input is worth a look from me.

MaryAnn - I do intend to!

Minnesota
reviews: 6
8. Re: Which or is there better?

B,

If you don't need a balcony the Emporio is nice, and next door to the Sunscape so right across the street from the shopping area. They have sliding patio door style windows and a railing instead of a balcony.

The Krystal is just the other side of the Amara condos from the Sunscape and has been in the middle of a remodel, but I haven't talked to anyone that has stayed there of late.

The Las Brisas is where we have ended up after the Sunscape change over. The rooms are nice, and great views, but the food is pricey and it is off the beaten path so a taxi ride about anywhere for dinner (but at 3 bucks to the restaurant area for a cab 'm not complaining!).

If you have any smokers in your group you are going to want to rethink the Sunscape, and think more to the Barcelo. (you can read the review section)

You have picked one of my favorite times to be in the area! Everything still green from the rains, and not too very busy yet!

Enjoy!!

Keith

Portland, Oregon
9. Re: Which or is there better?

Thank you for the ideas - back to research!

Illinois
reviews: 7
10. Re: Which or is there better?

We stayed at the Krystal last March and is was fine!!! No complaints except lack of swim up bar. Just charge drinks and lunch to your room--no big deal. If you compare prices, you might save plenty of money by not going AI (unless you plan to consume huge amounts of alcohol.) Food in Ixtapa and Zihua is cheap and good and it's fun to go out at night. There's not a lot happening around these hotels in the evenings.