We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the airport like?

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Berlin...
reviews: 16
What is the airport like?

First time in Ixtapa/Zhuatenejo. Will there be the time share "shark-tanks?

winneconne,wi
reviews: 4
1. Re: What is the airport like?

Yes their will be, just keep walking past them at the airport.

Edited: 5:06 am, November 25, 2011
Calgary, Canada
reviews: 8
2. Re: What is the airport like?

If you are thinking of the Puerto Vallarta shark tank, it is definitely not that.

It might also depend when you are going (time of year) and day of the week you arrive as well. Last year we arrived on Dec. 15th and not one time share person approached us and it was soo easy getting out to our ride that I didn't even notice if there actually was one there at all. Dec. 13th was a Wednesday as well, so mid December and mid week it was a breeze! I am sure there are times where it is much more hectic though...

Lewiston, California
reviews: 63
3. Re: What is the airport like?

Ours is more of a Guppie tank. Nothing like PV.

As you exit customs just walk straight ahead a few feet to the transport counter to purchase your cab/van ticket.

Trail, Canada
reviews: 2
4. Re: What is the airport like?

We have never been approached anywhere in Zihua . I am really cheap and maybe that shows somehow . The airport is small and user friendly .

New Berlin...
reviews: 16
5. Re: What is the airport like?

Thanks everyone!

We will be arriving on Fri. Jan. 6th.

I've handled the "shark tank". I can get through a "minnow tank".

More questions to follow

winneconne,wi
6. Re: What is the airport like?

The only time I have had problem in Zih was last March. The guy would not take no for an answer, he even followed us up to the taxi counter. We have never had a problem like that at the airport in the past.

Edited: 10:09 am, November 26, 2011
Fort Myers, Florida
reviews: 25
7. Re: What is the airport like?

Some of the best sales people in the world can be found in Mexico, from the little boy or girl selling Chiclets to the timeshare people. They are persistent, don't get discouraged too easily but all seem to honor a sincere "no gracias". Ok, may it take two "no gracias" but most will smile and that will be the end of it. Could be worse, what if you had to pass through 2 American used car lots to get to a taxi?

winneconne,wi
8. Re: What is the airport like?

Ted61,

I have been going to mexico once or twice a year since 1986. I have never run into one like this, maybe he was new and wanted to make his first sale. It was more like six no gracias, I can never turn down a child selling chiclets or bobble heads.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
reviews: 25
9. Re: What is the airport like?

Maybe he was an import from PV or Cabo......they are awful there.....they were so aggressive and persistent on the street in Cabo San Lucas we never returned to that area! Makes Jamaica look like a cakewalk, comparatively.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
10. Re: What is the airport like?

We just got back from Mazatlan and have a trip booked for Ixtapa in February. In 16 trips to Mazatlan I have to say the timeshare hawks were the most aggressive we have ever seen. Many restaurants now allow at least one representative in the dining area, and they approach you sometime near the end of your meal. The restaurants benefit financially from this arrangement, so we understand how they got tied up in the setup. We quit going to some of our favorite restaurants just because of this nuisance. I hope Ixtapa has not gotten to that point yet. Any feedback on this aspect?

We were staying at the Pueblo Bonito Matatlan, and planned our escape from the hotel each time based on where the hawks were positioned on the streets or beach. By the way, disappointingly the PB also used some coercion to get us to sign up for their "tour," holding our room key until we visited their timeshare desk and rep. Not too happy about it!