We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Santa Fe or Flor de Maria?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Escondido hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
The Prairies
reviews: 20
Hotel Santa Fe or Flor de Maria?

Which hotel would you recommend and why?

Both sound good, Flor de Maria for the management and food, but not sure about the mini suites on the rooftop?

Hotel Santa Fe sounds like it has a nice pool area and the rooms are nice, but not sure about food and staff?

We are two couples, late 40's early 50's going to be in PE for 1 week.

Saint John, Canada
Destination Expert
for Puerto Escondido
reviews: 7
1. Re: Hotel Santa Fe or Flor de Maria?

I don't have any feedback about anything mentioned above aside from lots of good reviews on the food at Hotel Santa Fe. Everyone that I've talked to who has gone there has said it was very good, especially for vegetarians or those who really love seafood. I've also heard several good things about the hotel itself.

You may also want to consider the area around La Rinconada as well. Reason being, closer to swimable beaches...unless you hate swimming in the ocean or you have some good surfers in the group.

I looked up Flor De Maria in Google and it says it is near the best swimming beach in town and another site said the only swimming beach in town. Neither of these are true statements. I have not heard any feedback about the hotel although the pictures look really nice.

Playa Carrizalillo is the best beach followed by Playa Manzanillo and Puerto Angelito. All three of those beaches are near La Rinconada.

Playa Marinero is basically just an extension of Playa Principal which is filled with boats, a strong smell of fuel from the boats, and close to the lagoon which gives off its own aroma at times. The water conditions at Marinero are also too strong to swim at times but is good for beginner boogie boarders and surfers.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 17
2. Re: Hotel Santa Fe or Flor de Maria?

I have only stayed at the Santa Fe, on my first trip to PE, but I have heard good things about Flor de Maria as well, and we did consider staying there. Santa Fe has wonderful food - maybe a little pricer than some places, the staff is great, and I think the location is excellent. Maybe Flor de Maria would be smaller and more personal? I know the food is well regarded but can't tell you from personal experience because the one time we went there for dinner they were not open. (And in fact there are so many great restaurants to try in town that I don't imagine you'll eat at your hotel all that much). I should also say that when we stayed in the Santa Fe we actually stayed in the "bungalows" which have living rooms with little kitchens, and separate bedrooms, an arrangement I really like. The bungalows have their own pool - so little used it's like having a private pool much of the time - but of course you are free to use all the facilities at the "main" part of the Santa Fe.

I agree that unless you're a true surfer then you don't want to be in the water on Zicatela or Marinero. BUT they are great beaches to hang out on and watch those crazy waves curl around while you enjoy a drink or a pizza. Most of the action in town is along Zicatela or the Adoquin (by action I mean restaurants and shops), and both are easy walking distance from either Flor de Maria or the Santa Fe.

I like hanging out on Principal and the fellows with those boats are more than happy ro provide water taxi service and zip you over to one of the other playas - Angelito or Manzanillo (same beach really) and I suppose Carizalillo as well although I haven't done that.

The Rinconada is nice but I find it a little quiet and sterile compared to Zicatela and the Adoquin. Also, staying in that area limits your options for places you can walk to easily. It all depends on what you are looking for. There are just a few restaurants there, but they are nice, and a few shops, also nice, but just not the diversity you find elsewhere. Rinconada, in general, is the neighborhood where ex-pats with some $$ tend to live, and the commercial strip that goes by the same name tends to reflect that.

If you haven't looked at a good map of the town, it will help you out:

http://tomzap.com/map-esco.html

On the map, the Santa Fe is marked but Flor de Maria is not, it would be just slightly east of the Santa Fe if memory serves.

Adoquin = Avenida Perez Gasga on the map

Rinconda = Blvd. Benito Juarez on the map, just above Playa Carizalillo

Zicatela = Calle de Morro, along Zicatela Beach

For what it's worth, on our last visit we rented a house near Sueno Posible and we really like that location, for being a short walk to Manzanillo but also easy to walk to the market or the Adoquin. Unless you want a long walk in the hot sun it's better to cab it to Zicatela from there though. We also walked to the Rinconada from there a few times but it's not a short walk either.

Saint John, Canada
Destination Expert
for Puerto Escondido
3. Re: Hotel Santa Fe or Flor de Maria?

What Soozeequeue says about Rinconada is accurate. I've been enjoying renting a bike when I'm there so I don't feel as "trapped" to that area if I want to get around but not take a cab. We've often biked up to the upper part of town, around the Mercado Benito Juarez. It's a bit of a hike up there but nice coming down. My favourite taco place is just across Highway 200 too so I'm handy to that. And then, yeah, cabs are easy.

However, the area is definitely more sterile than other parts of town but not without its own character and bonuses such as the beaches.

Calgary, Canada
4. Re: Hotel Santa Fe or Flor de Maria?

At the end of the day, whatever you choose, it's hard to go wrong in Puerto - it's all pretty much paradise :)

danj, where are you renting the bike from? That sounds like a great idea. Although the road up from Sueno Posible would be a ***** - but at least when I've got the backpack loaded with market goodies it would be all downhill.

Do you bring a bike lock with you, or do they provide good ones? Did you find ways around some of the roads where the cars are really crazy - I'm thinking about where you come on to the Adoquin on the west end just S of the hiway...

Calgary, Canada
5. Re: Hotel Santa Fe or Flor de Maria?

And Bev, I misled you, I am directionally challenged today. Flor de Maria I believe is just west of the Santa Fe, not east like I said.

Saint John, Canada
Destination Expert
for Puerto Escondido
6. Re: Hotel Santa Fe or Flor de Maria?

The bikes I've rented were from, umm, the bike shop up between El Nene and Hostel Shalom. I forget the name. They keep several in Villas Carrizalillo for the guests there but the exact same bikes are available from the shop. They have three gears, a big basket in front and are pretty easy to ride. Wheel locks are attached to the bike and then the hotel had their own locks to use from the bike to a pole. I'm not sure if the shop has locks available, they should but I couldn't answer for sure.

We found it pretty easy to get around. Highway 200 can sometimes be a bit tricky to cross if traffic is busy. We'd normally snake our way through whatever streets looked fun to get up and back from the Mercado. To get down to Aldoquin we'd just travel along the road that turns from the Rinconada to the road where the motocross track is on and then keep along there with a few turns and come out down by Gina's booth. Basically the same way a cab would take.

We rented a scooter once. It wasn't as convenient as I thought and it was pricey.

Calgary, Canada
7. Re: Hotel Santa Fe or Flor de Maria?

Thanks, that's really helpful, I'm going to save this info.

8. Re: Hotel Santa Fe or Flor de Maria?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, October 11, 2009