We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary recommendations please

Which Canada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ankara, Turkey
reviews: 5
itinerary recommendations please

Me and my fiancé are visiting Canada this August for 2 weeks. We are flying to and from Toronto Airport. We were thinking of visiting Toronto, Niagara Falls, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec. How should we plan our itinerary, how many days to spend in each city? Which districts to stay in Toronto and Montreal? Is it easy to discover the cities by walking, and how efficient is the public transport? What kind of transportation is easier between cities? Is it wise to rent a car? And also, would you recommend anywhere else to see? Does Legoland worth a visit? By the way we are 27 and 33 years old, love eating (especially seafood/Japanese/Indian/Mexican/desserts), nature, car museums, contemporary modern art and shopping. Thank you!

5 replies to this topic
SE Ontario
reviews: 8
1. Re: itinerary recommendations please

You've posted in the all encompassing Canada forum, which gathers all post for the entire country.

For information on Toronto and Niagara Falls, please go to the Toronto and Niagara Falls forums:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g155019-i55-Toronto…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154998-i97-Niagara…

For info on Montreal and Quebec City, please go those forums:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g155033-i134-Quebec…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g155032-i51-Montrea…

Do some research - Top Questions to the right of each page, trip reports, and activities, hotels, etc, under green tabs at top of forum pages.

Ask specific questions pertaining to the cities in their forums.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 69
2. Re: itinerary recommendations please

Hi Cicek;

To help get you started, before posting on the specific forums...

Q) How should we plan our itinerary, how many days to spend in each city?

A) Toronto is Canada’s largest city, 4th largest in North America after Mexico City, New York, & Los Angeles. You could spend an entire week in Toronto and still have plenty to see and do !

Quebec City should be a 3-5 day stay.

Montreal 2-3 days.

Ottawa 2 days.

Niagara Falls - a full 24 hours.

Q) Which districts to stay in Toronto and Montreal?

A) Downtown in both cities.

Q) Is it easy to discover the cities by walking, and how efficient is the public transport?

A) Yes, it easy to walk, and public transit if quite efficient.

Q) What kind of transportation is easier between cities? Is it wise to rent a car?

A) In August, I would suggest renting a car to travel between Toronto and Ottawa / Montreal. You don't want or need a car in the cities.

Q) would you recommend anywhere else to see?

A) About 165 miles / 265 km, a 3 hour drive east of Toronto and about ½ way to Montreal, are the towns of Kingston and Gananoque.

In the town of Kingston, you won't want to miss Fort Henry, which has been designated a World Heritage Site by the United Nations Education, Scientific and Cultural Organization. (UNESCO)

The original Fort Henry was built during the War of 1812, between Canada and the United States.

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g154992-d65…

http://www.forthenry.com/

Just 18 miles / 28 km east of Kingston is Gananoque (pronounced GAN-AN-OCK-WAY), the "Gateway to the Thousand Islands". You can take a 1 hr, 2.5 hr, or 5 hr boat tour of the 1000 Islands.

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g182143-d13…

www.ganboatline.com/

The 5 hour tour stops at Boldt Castle, which was built in 1900 by the former owner of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. If you wish to walk about the island and tour through the castle, you will need to clear U.S. Customs, as the island is in American waters. Be sure that you bring your identification as required.

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g29794-d105…

www.boldtcastle.com/

While in Gananoque, check out;

The Thousand Islands Playhouse for great live theatre.

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g182143-c88400/Gananoq…

http://www.1000islandsplayhouse.com/

1000 Islands Skydeck

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g1200493-d1…

http://www.1000islandsskydeck.com/home.php

For more info on the 1000 Islands;

www.1000islandsgananoque.com

www.visit1000islands.com/

www.1000islandsinfo.com/

You will need a full 24 hours in this area.

Q) Does Legoland worth a visit?

A) No. LEGOLAND in Canada is nothing more than a large, retail store.

I hope that helps getting you started.

Best Regards

Edited: 8:14 am, April 06, 2014
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 522
3. Re: itinerary recommendations please

I believe that you will need more time in Montreal than in Quebec City, especially since some of attraction of the walled city is lost on a European visitor who probably has seen such things plenty of times....with just two weeks, I would scrap QC in a lot of ways and limit travel to Toronto, NF, Ottawa and Montreal....

Ankara, Turkey
reviews: 5
4. Re: itinerary recommendations please

Thank you so much everyone. Very excited to start planning our trip with the help of your recommendations.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, TripAdvisor Support
reviews: 69
5. Re: itinerary recommendations please

You're Welcome !

Reply to: itinerary recommendations please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted