We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Night In Puerto Vallarta

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Barra de Navidad hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Minnesota
One Night In Puerto Vallarta

Delta cancelled our late January flight to Manzanillo so we are coming to Barra through Puerto Vallarta. We are staying a night at Posada de Roger and then catching the bus to Barra the next morning.

Taking a taxi from the airport to the hotel, will drivers stop at Walmart for us to buy a cooler? Will they charge extra for stopping at Walmart? How much more? If they don't charge I'll give a nice tip. For a $25 (US) cooler would I be smarter to check in at the hotel and then take the city bus to Walmart? Is there a limit to how much luggage you can transport on the bus to Barra (now that I will also have a cooler)?

When over nighting in Vallarta, I worry about our luggage (still all packed) disappearing from our room when we go out, even through the room is locked. Anyone ever hear of something like that happening?

What is the best sunset watching bar in Puerto Vallarta

Thank you for your responses.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 113
1. Re: One Night In Puerto Vallarta

Your hotel is in the Romantic Zone and Walmart is by the airport. You would be better off to take the taxi from the airport to Walmart, buy the cooler (and Walmart has good beer prices) then take a 2nd taxi to Roger. The savings taking the 2nd local taxi (120 pesos) over the airport taxi rate (230 pesos)will pay for the beer. The morning taxi to the bus is 40 pesos. The bar you want is Burros a five minute walk to the right as you exit Roger. There are liquor stores on the way. You won't hit a baggage limit with your cooler although if I were you I'd bring a foldable soft sided cooler from home and save the running around. It is unlikely you'll will have any problems with theft at your hotel or anywhere else. Barra is 4 hours and 194 pesos by Flecha Amarilla leaving 7 am and noon.

Northern Minnesota
2. Re: One Night In Puerto Vallarta

Thank you for the very good advise. Will my girlfriend be ok sitting on our luggage outside of Walmart while I run in and get a cooler? She wants to get the sun anyway. Are there taxis at the entrance to Walmart or do you have to go out to the street and flag one down?

We'll be at Burros for the sunset and to spend that 120 pesos we'll be saving on the taxi.

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 113
3. Re: One Night In Puerto Vallarta

Sure, she'll be completely safe and yes there will be lots of taxis. No need to flag from the street. Have correct change in pesos. You can get pesos from an ATM at the airport or in the Walmart mall. There is a supermarket called Rizo's a block or so from Posada de Roger that could have coolers on the 2nd floor. Perhaps someone will read this and confirm if they have Styrofoam or plastic coolers.

4. Re: One Night In Puerto Vallarta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, July 18, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Barra de Navidad