We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants in Barra closing for low season?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Barra de Navidad hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gig Harbor, WA
reviews: 5
Restaurants in Barra closing for low season?

My family is returning to Barra in two weeks, and some friends that are there now mentioned that several of our favorite restaurants are closed already... Ambars, Simona y Nino's, Maya's, to name a few. Can anyone confirm this-- or that they've just cut back to serving on weekends?

Agradecida for your help--

Shelley

Oakville, Canada
reviews: 94
1. Re: Restaurants in Barra closing for low season?

Hey Shelly! Are you coming down soon too or just your family?

Maya have closed for the season.

Ambar I am not sure about. Veronique normally stays here all summer so they don't close but they do cut back to three or four nights a week in the low season. That may be why your friends found the restaurant closed. Or, she may be on vacation, a lot of people grab a quick vacation now after the winter season and Semanas Santa and Pascua. I'll see what I can find out.

Simona and Nino's is just closed for vacation. They have a sign up that they are back on April 27th or 29th. I forget now which.

Isadora's is probably closed for the season by now.

Roosters in Melaque is closed for the season.

Bananas is still open for dinner now but they probably won't be in two weeks. I am eating dinner there tonight so I will check on that. They stay open for breakfast year round except for a bit of time in September when they close.

The San Patricio Yacht Club (not a Yacht Club just the name of a restaurant) are still open. Not been there but I hear good things.

Cafe Barra have closed for the season.

Most other places I can think of stay open all year round. There are not that many seasonal businesses.

Are there any other places specifically that you wonder about?

Gig Harbor, WA
2. Re: Restaurants in Barra closing for low season?

Hey Nan--

I almost addressed my TripAdvisor question specifically to you, because you are always so amazing about responding to requests like mine! :)

We will be in town May 7-12th, this time with all four kids in tow-- and the three oldest kids remember Veronique's pasta fondly, so I wanted to make sure that she was around! Even though we are staying out at Playa Grande, we will undoubtedly have most of our dinners in Barra, so your rundown of restaurants was helpful-- thanks! We'll be visiting with Cristy and Enrique at Casa Senorina, so if you need me to help you replenish your stock of good dark chocolate, say the word! In fact, if there is any of that Culzapa coffee left, can you set some aside for me?

Counting the days 'til I'm back in my favorite place in the world--

Shelley

Oakville, Canada
3. Re: Restaurants in Barra closing for low season?

We actually had dinner at Ambar last night because Banana's have now closed for dinners for the season. Veronique had a party of 21 in from GB but she managed to accommodate the 10 or so of us as well and a few other tables and the food was great. So, she's here and she's open and the food is great as always.

Dark Chocolate you say? Ummmmm always. I actually have lots of the Cuzalapa organic shade grown dark roast coffee, both beans and fine grind, right now and it is nice and fresh because I just went up into the hills for another shipment. I'll be sure to keep some aside for you and I'll see you while you are here.

Gig Harbor, WA
4. Re: Restaurants in Barra closing for low season?

Maybe I should rename my question: Restaurants in Barra closing for Flu season?

Are open air places like SeaMasters and Nino & Simona's still open, given the latest directive to close the bars and places where people congregate?

And Nan, if you are still out there, any idea if Cocodrilo Azul up in Careyitos is still open on the weekends? I've emailed Roberto there twice and haven't heard back...

Thanks for your help-- still wanting to come down but not sure of the situation!

Shelley

Oakville, Canada
5. Re: Restaurants in Barra closing for low season?

I just drove down from Ajijic, I went up last weekend not much traffic on the way back considering it is a holiday weekend down here. Hard to tell if that is due to the slower than normal economy or a flu scare. I don't know of any reported or confirmed cases of the swine flu in this area.

All the restaurants we went to are open up in Ajijic and anything that is closed in Barra and Melaque at this point appears to be a seasonal closure. It looks like it is night clubs, discos, cinemas and water parks that are closed due to the health department directive.

Not sure about Crock Azul being open in May or not. I will try and find out for you. Polo season just wrapped up and there are not many people up at Careyes in May just as there are not many here at that time either which really has nothing to do with the flu, we just don't have many people around this time of year.

6. Re: Restaurants in Barra closing for low season?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, October 29, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Barra de Navidad