We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchasing Property in Guanajuato

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Morelia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
delray Florida
reviews: 1
Purchasing Property in Guanajuato

I would like to purchase a colonial house in the San Javier, Pastito or La Presa area. Is there a reputable broker that I can contact? I am having a difficult time finding anyone to reply or a site that I can get comps or information. I know you need a notario for the purchase of property but is there a local paper I can read on line to see classifieds?

Many thanks

Idyllwild...
reviews: 59
11. Re: Purchasing Property in Guanajuato

The previous post on the NOTARIO is not entirely accurate or correct and I will leave it at that.

delray Florida
12. Re: Purchasing Property in Guanajuato

This site is really getting interesting. It appears that the "chopper" is not on line and that Real Estate Agents do not need to be licensed. As a realtor I might as well just fly there and find a property myself. Thanks all for info to date. Is Cervantino in September or October?

BB

Guanajuato GTO
reviews: 3
13. Re: Purchasing Property in Guanajuato

Geri pls contact me. can't get through on your e-mail

Bill

Guanajuato GTO
reviews: 3
14. Re: Purchasing Property in Guanajuato

>>The previous post on the NOTARIO is not entirely accurate or correct and I will leave it at that.<<

Up yo you! I don't think my short summary was too far off the mark:

http://www.ricardobarraza.com/legal.html#6

(only Notario section cited here. Full site worth a read)

VI. The role of the Notary Public.

A Notary is a lawyer invested with the authority to attest documents, before whom operations regarding properties can be validly carried out. Additionally, other acts are carried out before a Notary, such as Last Wills, the incorporation of companies, the conferring of powers of attorney or company representation, etc.

To be a Notary, one must be a lawyer and hold an authorization (patent), granted to a specific number of persons by the Government of each of the States of the Republic. Notaries are governed by a special law at local or State level, the Notarial Law, of which 32 versions exist, one for each State.

The Notary Public holds a patent issued by the State Government which allows him to act with this status. Notaries are advisors to the parties in the operations authorized under their signature, and draw-up the corresponding documents. These documents must be recorded in a special book which is authorized for such purpose, called a protocol. One of the most important formalities of notarial performance is for the Notary to sign the documents and affix his seal of authorization. Documents issued before a Notary Public are public documents, valid (since no-one can object to their validity), and are documents which, in the case of certain operations, can be recorded in Public Registers such as that of Property (real estate), or Commerce (corporations), as officially certified documents.

By law, Notaries are responsible for and in charge of paying taxes and recording operations in connection with real estate. Notaries must calculate taxes and duties and ask their clients to pay them these amounts in order that they, in turn, pay them to the respective tax offices.

A recent federal law (12) created the so-called public brokers who engage in certain functions similar to those of a Notary, but limited to operations of a commercial nature. This law clearly indicates that public brokers can act as notaries public for the purpose of recording contracts, agreements, acts and deeds of a commercial nature, except in the case of real estate and powers of attorney.

==

or more here:

==

http://www.mexicolaw.com/LawInfo16.htm

Contract Process to Purchase Residential Property in Mexico

Historically, earnest money deposits and contractual consideration were given from the buyer directly to the seller. There are now a few Mexican title companies that will utilize U.S. bank accounts for earnest money or you may utilize a few U.S. title companies that have international offices in Mexico to handle the transaction. It is recommended by this firm that all foreign persons purchasing real estate in Mexico utilize credible U.S. title companies such as Stewart Title, First American Title or Fidelity Title to handle your transaction. Further, they can provide the necessary title insurance to protect your investment.

In Mexico, all real estate transactions and the legal conveyance of any type of property involve the participation of a notario publico. They are appointed by the Governor of the State and the Executive Branch of the federal government for a particular state district and are attorneys who have passed two extensive examinations in order to receive their lifetime appointments. In a typical transaction, they will prepare the deed of conveyance subject to the "protocolized" purchase-sale agreement. The notario brings buyer and seller together for the formalization of the property transfer and they authorize the appropriate signatures upon execution of the escritura. And lastly, after the property transfer has been formalized, the notario will record the escritura with the public registry of property where the property is located. Prior to the closing, the notario's additional duties include:

1. To examine the documents of the selling party to ensure their accuracy and legitimacy;

2. To verify title;

3. To search the public records to determine the status of seller's title to the property and the existence of liens against the property; and

4. to collect all applicable property taxes and government transfer taxes.

delray Florida
15. Re: Purchasing Property in Guanajuato

Thanks for the note on the notario! Will write soon. Got your note today! Nice to hear from you!!!

BB

Canada
16. Re: Purchasing Property in Guanajuato

I am also interested in purchasing property in Guanajuato and would like to suscribe to Chopper. Can anyone tell me if that is possible. I live in Canada. Or is there an online copy? Thanks for any information.

17. Re: Purchasing Property in Guanajuato

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:07 am, July 19, 2007