We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute and also first trip to SJD - advice appreciated

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which San Jose del Cabo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 1
Last minute and also first trip to SJD - advice appreciated

Hello all,

This morning and without much research I booked a last minute trip to SJD leaving this coming Saturday (I'll be staying at the Barcelo Los Cabos). It is also my very first trip to SJD ... and as a solo traveler on top of that. Just looking for a few days of R & R.

I am sure my questions have been posted before and answers can probably be found somewhere in this forum. I will do my own research in parallel but due to the short preparatory time I have I decided to ask these questions again and I apologize in advance for doing so.

Transportation airport to resort:

I saw several postings and suggestions here for private transportation. Does anyone have a recommendation for shuttles or shared vans?

Excursions from SJD:

I know the prime time for whale watching is winter to spring. Are there any whale watching tours that are worth going on at this time of the year?

Are there any other excursion you would recommend? My interest would be more in landscape and scenery and nature than in visiting towns.

Money (I ask primarily for verification)

From what I understand from posts here is that it is ok to travel with just USD. In case I would need Pesos I could get some from the ATM at the hotel. For tipping it would be advisable to have a stack of $1 bills. Correct?

Anything else you can think of that I should be aware of?

Thank you so much,

Marcus

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 74
1. Re: Last minute and also first trip to SJD - advice appreciated

Transfer ~ shared shuttle is cheap and easy. I like CaboSanLucasTours.net. If you want private, try Translobo or Cielito Lindo or Inside Los Cabos or Cabo Transfers. Contact info: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g152515-c129424

No whales in June.

It's okay to travel with USD. You'll get a better value spending pesos, but it's up to you. If the ATM at the hotel is a bank ATM, then use it. Otherwise walk to a real bank ATM and use that one.

Tipping in $1 bills is okay. As long as you tip, folks are happy. It's slightly easier for locals to spend pesos, but they'll happily take your USD if that's what you're offering. (I think folks tip either a 10 peso coin {75 cents US} or a one dollar bill. Of course the staff will prefer getting the higher amount! They'd probably prefer 20 pesos, if you're feeling generous.)

Last thought about money ... the bills cannot be torn. I don't think they can have marks on them either.

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 71
2. Re: Last minute and also first trip to SJD - advice appreciated

The Wirikuta gardens just over the Estuary bridge might interest you. The Estuary itself is a birdwatchers area.

The Marina area is interesting to walk around also. There are some large statues from a famous artist that have been brought in and spread around the marina area. The swim with Dolphins is there, and that's fun to sit on the edge of the water and watch the Dolphins perform and cavort with the swimmers. Quite a show and no cost to watch. The Container restaurant is right there and they have tables there where you can enjoy a lunch at the water side. Or go to the waterfront deck on the interesting El Ganzo Hotel. Here are some photos of the Beach, Dolphins and The El Ganzo hotel and deck. …tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-075c-f4b0-3629

Have breakfast or lunch at the lovely nearby Flora farms. Its also on the Marina side and a taxi is necessary. Its an oasis in the desert and begs you to stroll the lovely grounds after you enjoy a meal.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
reviews: 34
3. Re: Last minute and also first trip to SJD - advice appreciated

I was going to say the same things as PNWF re: shuttle from Cabo San Lucas Tours, and as Rocky re: the cactus garden at Wirikuta Gardens.

The only other thing I would add is that a friend of mine went recently to Equestrian Centre and it was the highlight of their trip. They were able to ride horses out into the desert. They went very slow unless you asked specifically if you could ride ahead faster...so all in all...it sounds very safe and a great way to see some of the flora and fauna.

http://loscaboshorses.com/

San Francisco...
4. Re: Last minute and also first trip to SJD - advice appreciated

Thank you all for your very valuable input!! It's slowly coming together and I feel much better prepared. Based on your advice I booked ground transportation with Cabo San Lucas Tours. I may also check out the Wirikuta gardens and/or the Equestrian Centre.

I also learned there is a MEGA market (more or less across the street from the resort) where I can get money from the ATM as well as groceries and sunscreen. Not sure yet how to change into peso coins but I'll figure that out.

Cheers,

Marcus

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
5. Re: Last minute and also first trip to SJD - advice appreciated

No problem, when you spend your American or Mexican bills, you'll get coins for change. :-)

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 71
6. Re: Last minute and also first trip to SJD - advice appreciated

The money you get from the ATMs in the Mega Mart will be in Pesos.

San Francisco...
7. Re: Last minute and also first trip to SJD - advice appreciated

Thanks, guys! Of course I know I would get coins for change and Pesos from the ATM :-). But I have all-inclusive and I don't intend to spend much (time and money) outside of the resort (yes, I know ... that's a shame. But something simple is what I need right now).

Thanks to everyone's responses I feel much better prepared for my trip starting tomorrow. Thank you!

Marcus

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 33
8. Re: Last minute and also first trip to SJD - advice appreciated

Your resort may also give you the current exchange rate............which is super easy! Enjoy!

San Francisco...
9. Re: Last minute and also first trip to SJD - advice appreciated

I had a great time in San Jose del Cabo and at the Barcelo. Too short, of course. Thank you all! Unfortunately I didn't make it to the Wirikuta gardens and also not to the Equestrian Centre since I was enjoying too much the much needed time out at the beach. I did take CaboSanLucasTours for airport transfer in a shared shuttle, though, and I would definitely use them again.

M.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
10. Re: Last minute and also first trip to SJD - advice appreciated

Relaxing at the Beach is also a good thing! Glad you had a great time!

Get answers to your questions about San Jose del Cabo