We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book a shuttle or rent a car at the airport?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which San Jose del Cabo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Conway, Arkansas
reviews: 69
Book a shuttle or rent a car at the airport?

We are staying at the Westin which is between San Jose and Cabo. I haven't decided yet what to do about renting a car so my question is to get to our hotel, would it be better to book a shuttle beforehand or to rent a car in the airport or some other option? Thanks in advance.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 75
1. Re: Book a shuttle or rent a car at the airport?

Neither is better than the other. It depends on you. Do you need or want a car for the entire vacation? What will you be doing during your Los Cabos vacation? If you're planning to travel to Cabo or to San Jose often, then a car may make sense. If you're indulging in adult beverages at dinner, then maybe a car doesn't makes sense.

Conway, Arkansas
2. Re: Book a shuttle or rent a car at the airport?

We will not be doing any heavy drinking and will probably need a car since we will probably going to Cabo and San Jose to eat. Seems like I read the airport is not the best place to rent a car? Any opinions on this and where to rent from?

Washington State
Destination Expert
3. Re: Book a shuttle or rent a car at the airport?

Yup. Here are the three forum favorites:

◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦

• Luis Ceseña. He is the new manager of Alamo at the airport. Ask for a TripAdvisor rate that includes required insurance. It is possible to drop in Cabo or SanJose; contact Luis to ask.

AeropuertoLosCabos@AlamoRentACar.com.mx

http://en.AlamoMexico.com.mx/

• Antonio Miranda. He is the manager at Cactus Car / Economy. Ask for an "insurance included TripAdvisor rate.” Located at the airport. It may be possible to arrange for delivery or pick up elsewhere; contact Antonio to ask.

AMiranda@CactusCar.com

www.CactusCar.com

• Dominic Macalusso. He is a local businessman who specializes in customer service. Will pick up or deliver anywhere; insurance & full tank of gasoline included. Cash or credit; charges a higher price, but folks rave about the personal service. Help available any time (lock yourself out, lose the key, get a flat tire, get lost on the way to Todos Santos, total the van in a rainstorm/flood, heated conversation with police, whatever.)

DomoSanLucas@prodigy.net.mx

http://DominicLosCabos.com/

Conway, Arkansas
4. Re: Book a shuttle or rent a car at the airport?

Thank you for your help! So if I choose one of these to use, is it best to just get to the airport then try to get the car or do I need to reserve a car in advance?

Washington State
Destination Expert
5. Re: Book a shuttle or rent a car at the airport?

Each of those three suggestions require that you contact him in advance. Ask for a TripAdvisor rate. Find out prices for various size cars. Then pick up the car at the airport and return to the airport.

Each will tell you how to get the car, according to their policy. For example, Dominic will bring the car to the airport parking lot and have a staff member meet you at the terminal exit, walk with you to the car. You hand him the money and you drive away. CactusCar is off-site so you'll ride a Cactus shuttle to the office. I'm not sure about Alamo ... maybe chat with the Alamo person in the terminal or maybe just ride the shuttle to the Alamo office.

B.C.
6. Re: Book a shuttle or rent a car at the airport?

We emailed Antonio at Cactus Car before our trip last year and asked for a trip advisor rate. We got a brand new little rental for about $300 total for 2 weeks. They meet you outside the airport and shuttle you to their rental office. Staying on the corridor (where the Westin is) we met people who were very jealous that we had the freedom of a car to get groceries, eat out and explore. There is a free dirt parking lot across from the mall in Cabo and driving was pretty straight forward.

Conway, Arkansas
7. Re: Book a shuttle or rent a car at the airport?

Thanks for the responses! :) Our trip is Sunday so I better get on this tomorrow!

Washington State
Destination Expert
8. Re: Book a shuttle or rent a car at the airport?

If they don't have anything available, post back and we'll think up a 'second string' of ideas.

Conway, Arkansas
9. Re: Book a shuttle or rent a car at the airport?

Thanks for all your help! I've gotten confirmation from Antonio at cactus for a vw Jetta for the week. Did I read somewhere that the included insurance doesn't cover everything?

Sun City West
Destination Expert
for Rosarito
reviews: 49
10. Re: Book a shuttle or rent a car at the airport?

Insurance will probably include 3rd party liability for damage you do to others or their property. For coverage on the vehicle, you can buy it from them or let the credit card insurance with the card you booked with provide coverage (check with the credit card company's customer service and find out where to print out the policy so you can take it with you and get a toll free number, from Mexico, that you can use to call if there is a problem.) The credit card insurance is primary in Mexico so your own insurance company will not be involved.

If you use American Express, for about $25.00 (exact amount depends on the state you live in), you can add their premium insurance which covers the rental for the entire time you have it. The premium insurance also includes hospitalization and theft of articles from the car. Once you add it (phone call), it applies every time you rent a car using the American Express card, but if you don't want it, you can cancel with a phone call or just use another card for the rental.

Edited: 12:52 pm, June 15, 2013
Get answers to your questions about San Jose del Cabo