We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vanilla

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which San Jose del Cabo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Summerland B C
reviews: 6
Vanilla

Where should I buy vanilla ? I would look at mega mart but not sure where else to look.I was told to buy it in a glass bottle / What brands are available and what is the cost .Which brands are the best available in this area ?? Thanks for any help :oD

Chatham, Canada
reviews: 4
1. Re: Vanilla

Here are a couple of pointers on buying pure vanilla:

Buy coumarin-free vanilla. Coumarin is derived from the Brazilian tonka bean. The bean can be used to make flavoring very similar to vanilla. Coumarin is toxic and can cause liver damage. It is a known carcinogen. Coumarin is used extensively in synthetic vanillas manufactured in Mexico so make sure you buy real vanilla extract and not synthetic.

Look for amber-colored vanilla. Real vanilla is not clear, so despite what the label might say, if it's clear, it's not real vanilla--it's synthetic. True vanilla is amber colored. Synthetics tend to be very dark either from the coal tar from which they are produced or from caramel and red food coloring

Rocklin, California
reviews: 20
2. Re: Vanilla

Just looked at a bottle of vanilla I bought in Cabo several years ago (haven't baked much in last couple of years!) at one of the souvenir stores and was glad to see, cravethewave, that it says it doesn't contain coumarin, and says it's 100% vanilla. I remember seeing vanilla everywhere I went in Cabo and SJ, so just watch for 100% vanilla containing no coumarin. Prcies all seemed to be comparable - I saved it as a last minute purchase for gifts, etc., in case I found something else I'd rather bring that person. Easy to pack, too, as long as you put it in checked luggage.

Calgary, Canada
3. Re: Vanilla

I was unable to find any real vanilla while in San Jose del Cabo 2 years ago. I know that it should be amber, translucent and contain about 35% ethyl alcohol. As I am going back to San Jose I would like to try again. Where can I find the real thing? I do not want the synthetic type.

Calgary, Canada
4. Re: Vanilla

Where in San Jose del Cabo can I find the pure vanilla? All I could find 2 yrs. ago was the synthetic.

vancouver, BC
reviews: 178
5. Re: Vanilla

pompoms40...not sure if this is correct info or not but i was told much of the vanilla sold in mexico (cheap type) are not pure vanilla. i found a great recipe for making my own vanilla which you can guarantee is pure and divine....

1 cup vodka to 2 vanilla beans ....let it soak for 2 months before using. it is absolutely divine!

Winnipeg
reviews: 7
6. Re: Vanilla

Just came back from SDC and real vanilla was for sale in many souvenir shops. The cigar/tequila store had the best price. They do not have real vanilla in Mega.

Horsham...
reviews: 45
7. Re: Vanilla

I don't know if you can find Orlando vanilla in Cabo but that is the brand name of what we get in Puerto Vallarta. It is pure vanilla, the smell is wonderful. It's more expensive but well worth the extra $$.

8. Re: Vanilla

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 04, 2014
Get answers to your questions about San Jose del Cabo