We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best rental car companies at Cabo airport?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which San Jose del Cabo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Best rental car companies at Cabo airport?

My husband and I are flying into SJD next month, staying at the Westin, and want to rent a car for 5 days. Any suggestions as to which rental car company would be best: Budget, Avis, Alamo, National, Dollar? Something inexpensive would be great, and Budget seems to have the best rates ($79/week, with taxes & fees, not including insurance). Thanks!

79 replies to this topic
California
reviews: 25
1. Re: Best rental car companies at Cabo airport?

Avis is by far the best car rental agency at the airport in Cabo. Best cars, service and rates! Some of the other companies have more hidden fees that you don't find out about until you pick up the car. Avis includes most of those. Be careful though... you pay a hefty airport surcharge for picking up at the airport. You should check rates and see if it is better to take the shuttle and then pick up the car at the resort...

Good Luck!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 68
2. Re: Best rental car companies at Cabo airport?

Alamo, CactusCar/Economy, and Dominic include all insurance.

Dominic Macalusso. He is a local businessman with a slightly older fleet of cars as well as some brand new ones. Will pick up or deliver anywhere; insurance & full tank of gasoline included. Cash or credit and a slightly higher price, but folks rave about the personal service. Help available any time (lock yourself out, lose the key, get a flat tire, get lost on the way to Todos Santos, whatever.)

DomoSanLucas@prodigy.net.mx

-----------

Antonio Miranda. He used to work for Alamo but has recently changed to Cactus Car. Ask for an "insurance included TripAdvisor rate.” At the airport. Note: if you want to pay cash, you need to pay upfront and to leave a $200 damage deposit.

AMiranda@CactusCar.com

-------------

Luis Morales. He is the manager of Alamo at the airport. Ask for a TripAdvisor rate that includes required insurance.

AMorales@AlamoRentACar.com.mx

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 8
3. Re: Best rental car companies at Cabo airport?

We just had another (our fifth or sixth?) GREAT experience with Dominic. We rented a very nice small Hyundai four-door sedan for eleven days. The total cost (including insurance and a tank of gas) was $550.

Dominic makes it so easy. He met us at the airport and helped us carry our luggage a short distance to the car. We gave him $550 cash and he gave us the keys. When it was time to leave, we just dropped the car off at the same lot where we picked it up and locked the keys inside.

We're DEFINITELY satisfied customers!!

Washington
reviews: 27
4. Re: Best rental car companies at Cabo airport?

Antonio at Catcus is BY FAR the best and I have rented a Alamo and from Dominic

Edited: 12:49 pm, January 08, 2012
London
5. Re: Best rental car companies at Cabo airport?

We just rented from Antonio at Cactus. I would highly recommend him. The service was great. There were there waiting for us when our plane landed and Antonio drove us directly back to the airport. No hastles with the price.

He has a new email address that now goes directly to him. It is amiranda@cactus.com

Seattle, WA
reviews: 3
6. Re: Best rental car companies at Cabo airport?

NOT EUROPCAR. Got shafted big time in Feb 2012 by Europcar. Flatly told "no cars available" at the counter despite a Travelocity reservation in hand and plenty of cars visible in its rear lot. I attribute this to the fact that we had a rock bottom weekly rate ($65 or so) and did not play ball with the timeshare / extra liability insurance pitches made by its shifty agents at the airport. Last year we rented from Europcar because of the low prices and regretted getting talked into committing to an aggressive and time consuming time share presentation (stressful and not worth the token gifts) in consideration for a vehicle upgrade, discount, and passes for the glass bottom boat. This year I think they screened us at the airport (my bad for talking to the agents at the airport and telling him no way on the timeshare/extra insurance pitch) and then radioed the guy at the off site counter. My advice is to stick with an American rental company or play dumb and DON'T TALK TO ANY AGENTS AT THE AIRPORT so they can't pre-screen you. Just walk straight outside and find the shuttle driver then be prepared for the upsell at the counter (after you confirm that they have cars available). We took a shuttle to our hotel and are getting by without a car this time. What a rude and shocking start to our vacation!

Normal, Illinois
reviews: 1
7. Re: Best rental car companies at Cabo airport?

Unfortunately, we have already reserved a car with this company. We already own a timeshare in Cabo. What is best advice to get the car.

Olympia, WA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 9
8. Re: Best rental car companies at Cabo airport?

What exactly are you asking kevstang? Which company? Are you asking for the best advice to get the car free or the best advice as to which rental company to use?

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 71
9. Re: Best rental car companies at Cabo airport?

John...I think Kevstang rented with Europcar. PNW mentioned the 3 companies most regulars to Cabo find to be dependable.

Kevstang............ You can cancel your rental with europcar rental, and lock in one of the 3 that PNW mentioned, or suck it up and deal with them. Just be aware of the mandantory mexican insurance that you must get. It will raise your rental cost. But its still not a deal breaker as long as you know you will pay it for a rental with any company. Its always better to prebook a car and have them quote you the walk out the door cost including all taxes and insurance. That way you can compare prices.

Seattle, WA
reviews: 3
10. Re: Best rental car companies at Cabo airport?

KEYSTANG - As far as insurance goes check to see if mandatory liability insurance is included with the quoted price. If you rented through Travelocity or Expedia your confirmation should include an explanation of what is included with the price (mandatory liability insurance is usually included - there are extensive posts on this topic elsewhere). The rental companies will try to sell you extra liability coverage (over $15 a day) and may suggest that the extra is mandatory and non-negotiable. There is probably no penalty for cancelling your res with Europcar (unless it it pre-paid) so I would suggest booking with one of the more dependable companies. If you are the thick-skinned type that likes to get free stuff you can muscle up and wheel and deal with Europcar for a vehicle upgrade, attraction tickets, cash etc in consideration for appearing at a full-tilt time share presentation. (which will kill half a day when it's all said and done and probably leave a bad taste in your mouth). I don't think that the fact that you already have a time share will disqualify you. Otherwise, best advice is to not talk to agents at airport, walk straight outside, take shuttle to counter, and brace yourself. (very short shuttle ride is an upside to Europcar)

Reply to: Best rental car companies at Cabo airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Jose del Cabo