We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What travel health insurance pays upfront?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 26
What travel health insurance pays upfront?

Hello everybody,

I'm new to TA forum and love all the useful info I've been reading.

After reading about that unfortunate couple who had an accident while zip lining, I figured I need to get insurance ASAP.

We have Blue cross Blue Shield but I'm interested in getting travel insurance to be extra

covered. We are in our 20s but one never knows what destiny has in store for us, better to be safe than sorry.

What insurance pays upfront?

I've been looking into FrontierMedex, Allianz, and Skymed.

Thanks in advance

21 replies to this topic
SB
reviews: 14
11. Re: What travel health insurance pays upfront?

We purchased the 10k medical plan that included air evac up to $50k. The bill was 50k medical. They settled for 22k paid by credit card plus the $10k from Allianz . The travel ins guaranteed the 10k to the hospital within an hour of receiving my paperwork . The travel ins arranged the air transport They prepaid it as well so we paid nothing upfront or any time after for the flight . I saw the bill and it was $17k. The hospital pushed me to use THEIR air ambulance but we refused telling them our insurance had to arrange it- which is their policy. They hospital made us wait for many hours to try to get us to change our mind (they wanted the $50k payment). My advice is go with a $50k medical and $50k emergency air evac plan. No matter what they still have you over a barrel as the air ambulance has to have a signed doctors medical release in order to fly you. The hospital (one world in this case) can always refuse to give u one to pressure u to pay and or use their air ambulance (which will charge you much more than $17k). You can pm me if u have any other question.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 53
12. Re: What travel health insurance pays upfront?

CarmenCabo, didn't you mention that you guys had to go through a lot of red tape before Allianz paid? I just wanted to mention that some travel insurance company plans state they pay up front. For instance Allianz says they pay up front. But if you research the policies there are a lot of reimbursements (you pay first, then they reimburse you). There are a lot of unneeded things in the policies that are included that add up (luggage, ticket reimbursement, et,) We used to get Allianz until I researched what they really cover up front! I don't want any surprises and only care about medical treatment and air evacuation that also covers getting you back to you home after being air evacuated and treated outside of you country or your own city! Just really research the policies of whatever company you chose. There's lots of good companies out there! :)

Edited: 10:56 pm, July 30, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
13. Re: What travel health insurance pays upfront?

Thanks you CarmenCabo for furthering explaining it to me.

Thanks to everybody for such informative responses.

You guys are awesome!

We leave in 4 days (our first time in Cabo) and I hate to be thinking about travel medical insurance but since reading horror stories I have learned that it's better to be safe than sorry :)

I'll keep you guys posted on what insurance I go with. So far, FrontierMedex and Allianz are the ones who look the best.

SB
14. Re: What travel health insurance pays upfront?

I had no trouble with Allianz. They were there for me throughout the whole ordeal. They paid the trip interruption portion as well as reimbursed part of the hotel costs incurred in San Diego (charles was there for ten days) within 10 days of the claim. They prepaid the air evac. They would have paid to get us back home (central coast) however charles could not fly commercial with his injuries. The only issue was that after we returned we did not want them to pay the $10k to One World because we felt we had been extorted and terrorized by them. However Allianz said they had guaranteed payment to the hospital and were therefore obligated to pay.

Minneapolis...
15. Re: What travel health insurance pays upfront?

CarmenCabo, was there 2 different accidents. I remember you mentioned that last year your friend fell from 4 floors. Was that Charles? And how is he doing?

16. Re: What travel health insurance pays upfront?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:04 pm, August 11, 2014

Minneapolis...
17. Re: What travel health insurance pays upfront?

Chic M, the accident you are refereeing to happened this year on a zip line. The accident CarmenCabo referred to was from last year about an fall accident that unfortunately happened to a friend! Both tragic!

Edited: 9:50 am, July 31, 2014
Los Gigantes, Spain
reviews: 2
18. Re: What travel health insurance pays upfront?

Yes - totally my error. I got caught up in the insurance dialog and missed the proper part of the post. I apologize for any confusion.

SB
19. Re: What travel health insurance pays upfront?

@canamerican: i sent you a private message. Charles had more surgeries since my last update (shoulder surgery in December 2013). He had hip surgery at the end of May and just last week he had his gallbladder removed (gangrenous). The surgeon stated it was due to the infection he developed after his surgery in Mexico (they nicked his pancreas when removing the spleen). They also found another area on the CT scan that needs to be checked out. Thanks for asking about Charles. He is in good spirits and happy to have survived this ordeal!

Chicago, Illinois
20. Re: What travel health insurance pays upfront?

@Carmencabo I'm sorry about your friends ordeal.

On the other hand, I called both FrontierMedex and Allianz, and also read very carefully all he small print. I decided to go with Allianz. They have great customer service, they confirmed over the phone that they cover emergency medical costs, up to 50k and pay upfront. They arrange medical evac if necessary and pay upfront as well. I honestly liked all I heard and read. It's a bit more expensive than FrontierMedex but I felt Allianz had better terms for the consumer.

Anyhow thank you all for your recommendations.

Safe travels :)

Reply to: What travel health insurance pays upfront?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted