We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What travel health insurance pays upfront?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 26
What travel health insurance pays upfront?

Hello everybody,

I'm new to TA forum and love all the useful info I've been reading.

After reading about that unfortunate couple who had an accident while zip lining, I figured I need to get insurance ASAP.

We have Blue cross Blue Shield but I'm interested in getting travel insurance to be extra

covered. We are in our 20s but one never knows what destiny has in store for us, better to be safe than sorry.

What insurance pays upfront?

I've been looking into FrontierMedex, Allianz, and Skymed.

Thanks in advance

21 replies to this topic
colorado
reviews: 6
1. Re: What travel health insurance pays upfront?

there are two different type of insurances. One is SkyMed (or something similar), which evacuates you to the US if you need to get home. It could be as simple as catching the next flight out, which they reimburse for, or arranging a fully equipped medical transfer. Traveler insurance, is medical coverage for care you receive while being away from home in US, Canada, Mexico, Carribean or Costa Rica. This type of plan will allow you to go to a hospital or medical clinic and receive treatment. I was just quoted around $500 for Skymed and $700 for medical coverage for my family of 6. These are annual prices. There are lots of companies out there so shop around. I bet its cheaper if you only do coverage for a short trip. Hope that helps!

Minneapolis...
reviews: 53
2. Re: What travel health insurance pays upfront?

We use FrontierMedex Air evacuation and Medical, you can phone them any day of the week and they will answer all of your questions! They pay up front! We have Blue Cross Blue Shield also but it does us no good in Mexico! :)

Edited: 11:25 pm, July 29, 2014
Minneapolis...
3. Re: What travel health insurance pays upfront?

(rokkin) $1,200 for a family of 6 for annual coverage for medical and air evacuation is pretty darn cheap! I mean that in a good way! The reason I use FrontierMedex is because they insure very well know prominent companies and organizations world wide! :)

Edited: 11:31 pm, July 29, 2014
SB
reviews: 15
4. Re: What travel health insurance pays upfront?

We used Allianz. Paid upfront for medical (to the plan limit) and arranged and prepaid emergency air evac. Blue shield reimbursed for the remaining $32,000 medical bills SEVEN months later. Always get trip insurance when traveling out of the country and get one with minimum 50k medical & $50k air evac! Safe travels:)

5. Re: What travel health insurance pays upfront?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 am, July 30, 2014

Chicago, Illinois
6. Re: What travel health insurance pays upfront?

I'll look into those mentioned.

Thank you for your input :)

colorado
reviews: 6
7. Re: What travel health insurance pays upfront?

Guess it is a pretty good deal. Its definitely a good feeling to have coverage as i keep hearing the horrible stories on here.

Dana Point...
reviews: 15
8. Re: What travel health insurance pays upfront?

Thanks for the post Martina and everyone's responses. I just purchased with Frontier Medex and I am amazed at how cheap it was. Always a good thing to have.

Chicago, Illinois
9. Re: What travel health insurance pays upfront?

@CarmenCabo, I read your post named "horrific cabo trip" and I thought you explained that Allianz only arranged evacuation but that you had to come up with 22k to pay hospital.

I'm confused, did allianz pay upfront? And if so, how much were the limits they (Allianz), paid for?

Minneapolis...
10. Re: What travel health insurance pays upfront?

Make sure you guys are reading the individual plans that the insurance outfits offer! My wife and I always opt for the FrontierMedex Global. It's cheaper for us to get a new policy each time we travel as to getting a plan that covers a whole year of travel outside the US! Even if my wife and I travel 6 times a year outside of the country (2 weeks at a time) for vacation, it's cheaper than getting a yearly policy! :)

Edited: 10:36 pm, July 30, 2014
Reply to: What travel health insurance pays upfront?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted