We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help/suggestions-husband is sick in Cabo

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wayne, NJ
reviews: 30
Help/suggestions-husband is sick in Cabo

My husband has been throwing up every hour and cannot hold food or water down. I'm assuming he got some type of bacteria from something. We have pepto that did not help and I gave him a yogurt. I tried going to the local pharmacy but they were of no help. Any suggestions?!

22 replies to this topic
STC, MO
reviews: 68
1. Re: Help/suggestions-husband is sick in Cabo

So sorry about this. Pepto doesn't really help so much for that sort of thing. Are you staying close to Walmart or a large pharmacy? They have specific medicines for nausea and vomiting. Do you think it was something he ate or a bug? You might take him to the doctor to get a shot for nausea as they really help a lot but it will make him sleepy for awhile.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Wayne, NJ
2. Re: Help/suggestions-husband is sick in Cabo

We are staying right by the marina. We ate breakfast at a place on the marina and once we got back he was not feeling well. I might venture out in a taxi to walmart to see if I can find something. Anything specific that might have worked for others in the past? If he doesn't feel better tomorrow, I might try the doctor idea. Good thing for trip insurance.

Ontario
reviews: 126
3. Re: Help/suggestions-husband is sick in Cabo

No disrespect to anyone posting here (I got very sick in Cabo with a lung infection and one of my best friends lives there who helped me)...but truly most on forums don't have experience in medical things...previous posts say you're at Hacienda Residences? Can you check with a front desk, concierge etc? Maybe they can help you? Good luck.

Tacoma, Wash
reviews: 10
4. Re: Help/suggestions-husband is sick in Cabo

I agree that you should contact the resort...I had an issue a couple years ago and the doc at Playa Grande was great!! Don't wait...Call them tonight..

STC, MO
reviews: 68
5. Re: Help/suggestions-husband is sick in Cabo

I agree, calling the doctor sooner rather than later is the best thing to do. If he's been sick for this long, then he's very well already dehydrated. Maybe he ate something he is allergic to??? Whatever the reason, he needs to see a doctor.

Vancouver BC
reviews: 2
6. Re: Help/suggestions-husband is sick in Cabo

If you need to go the hospital do not go to "One World Hospital By Saint Luke's". The hospital that the Riu's recommend is "Amerimed".

I also agree with the poster above and you should contact your resort and find out their Doctor, it will cost you but better to be safe than sorry.

Wayne, NJ
7. Re: Help/suggestions-husband is sick in Cabo

Thank you for the help/suggestions.

Ontario
reviews: 126
8. Re: Help/suggestions-husband is sick in Cabo

fwiw..and I might be totally out to lunch as I'm not a doctor or in the medical field (well, I volunteered in emerg for a while lol but I'm no medical professional) but this is what I learned.....when your body is trying to get rid of something (whether through vomiting or diarrhea) it's trying to get RID of it..by taking pills or liquids etc. that stop the vomiting or diarrhea you're just keeping the nasty 'whatever' inside of you. In mild cases it works but not always..and dehydration is another thing to be taken quite seriously.

Hope your husband is feeling better.

Boise, Idaho
9. Re: Help/suggestions-husband is sick in Cabo

I would agree with everyone else's advice as to seeing a med professional. I am not a medical professional but I have experienced similar symptoms in Mexico (hasn't stopped me from coming back several times).

Since it seems that he took ill quite quickly after eating/drinking it could be that he has some sort of bacterial infection of the gut. This is the sort of thing that Cipro might take control of. That type of illness also passes just as quickly as it started, it just really sucks while it is active.

Another option would be to find an anti-emetic Rx such as Zofran or Phenergen. Orally dissolving tabs might be an easier way to get the meds inside where they need to be.

You can always call back home and get a local doc on the phone as well.

I don't think Pepto or yogurt will do much however.

Obviously check for any history of reactions to these classes of meds.

Hope all is well by now.

Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 71
10. Re: Help/suggestions-husband is sick in Cabo

BG..... Im not a Doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn. Was the problem you had fixed... when the doctor put the surgical tape on the hole in the wine box? : }

Reply to: Help/suggestions-husband is sick in Cabo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted