We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicklette kids

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washingtonville, NY
reviews: 1
Chicklette kids

So tonight my husband and I were out in town. Had a drink with our kids at Happy Endings, then on to Pink Kitty so us girls could get our free drink. The boys were going back to Happy Endings, while the girls finished their drinks at Pink Kitty. Hubby and I headed over to Monkey Business, we would all meet up at Squid Roe. So anyway, my husband had some leftover glow necklaces that he'd brought for the USA World Cup game... Wanted to give them to the little kids in town. Gave out one, then another, then another. Had one left. Last little girl comes over and they all start grabbing at him like little maniacs! One of the little girls that already had one, starts pulling at him and grabbing at the glow necklace. He gave it to the fourth little girl and the other little girl, who was maybe 6 yrs old, tells my husband 'f you!" ( but she actually said the word!!! OMG! Last time we'll do anything nice for those kids. What little animals! LMAO. But crazy! Ok. Good night all!

72 replies to this topic
Bay Area, CA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 34
1. Re: Chicklette kids

The whole situation with those children is so sad. I read the article in the Gringo Gazette about how the adult "handlers" will go out to the poorest parts of the area and pick up these kids and shove them all into a van to drive them into Cabo proper. Then they are forced to sell the fake Chicklets and anything else they are given to sell. The kids and their families get little to nothing of the $ that they collect. They are kept out of school, etc. They have no real future at all. Given their lot in life, it's not hard to imagine how hardened they either have, or will, become. Probably Cabo's next generation of thieves, etc., once they're too old to sell Chicklets for the handlers.

Last year our family was sitting at a table at Capt. Tony's. A little girl came by and we heeded the advice that we are to never buy anything from them, lest we contribute to the problem. So, after telling the little girl (maybe 7 yrs old?) "No gracias" several times, the girl said in a disgusted tone of voice "Oh C'MON lady, f-ing buy something!"

Sorry your hubby had to experience that with the glow necklaces. It had to be very uncomfortable and shocking for him. Reminds me of when we were handing out candy & glow necklaces last Halloween. It was an almost scary experience for us, being mobbed by the children who were all shoving, pushing, and grabbing at us, and even trying to steal stuff out of our pockets! So, I can definitely related to what he experienced. It's not pleasant.

Edited: 7:03 am, June 18, 2014
Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 69
2. Re: Chicklette kids

I guess this is where the next generation of Massage businesses will come from. : }}}

Fresno, California
reviews: 27
3. Re: Chicklette kids

No Rocky, it's called that fancy place Presun where they will all be together to settle the ways of Cabo.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 32
4. Re: Chicklette kids

What a sad thread this is. the kids are exploited, and will probably never have an opportunity to become good, caring decent people :( heartbreaking that even passing out little gifts to help brighten their sad life is now becoming impossible.

Washingtonville, NY
reviews: 1
5. Re: Chicklette kids

It's true Kat! It is very sad. He was walking around the bars carrying these silly glow necklaces until we saw some cute little girls. Turns out they were little monsters.

Puyallup, Washington
reviews: 7
6. Re: Chicklette kids

I saw more kids selling stuff this year than the last two trips combined. I thought they were cracking down on this.

Las Vegas
reviews: 109
7. Re: Chicklette kids

Jenn, we encountered the same kids last night as we were leaving Happy Ending. About midnightish, a group of really young kids around 5-7 years old I'd estimate, surrounded my husband and started hitting him in the stomach. I didn't know how to react -- never encountered this before.

Vancouver BC
reviews: 2
8. Re: Chicklette kids

Seems like that is the Handlers response to the NOT BUYING Chicklette's from the kids, so they are getting them to be more aggressive in the hope that the kids will be able to pick pocket some cash or other things of value. If you see young kids hanging about around midnight RUN fast as you can away from them.

California
reviews: 11
9. Re: Chicklette kids

Very sad. One guy in our group asked a girl if he gave her money could she go home (it was 10pm at night, midweek). She said yes. He gave her $25. She came back to our table 5 minutes later.

Anacortes...
reviews: 13
10. Re: Chicklette kids

Yes - watch out for pick pockets! A group of kids was following us last October when one little girl tried to get her hand into my friends tote. It was over the little girls head but that didn't stop her from trying. We both saw it and were able to slap her hand away.

Reply to: Chicklette kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted