We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from RIU Palace

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lincolnton, North...
reviews: 1
Back from RIU Palace

First let me say, I rate this hotel 6.5 out of 10, 10 being the best.

We had a great time, just the two of us and we met a nice couple from St. Louis, Hi Tracie and Kevin! We had dinner w/ them and bar hopped a little on our last night, the Gigglin Marlin was definitely a lot of fun. I did a couple jello shots and a couple of tube shots, did NOT hang upside down by my ankles though. There was a young girl (21+/-) in a dress who did, I'm sure her mom is proud! HA

Some of you may remember we were on a hunt for bathroom sinks, we found 2 matching ones and a wastebasket, planter, kleenex box cover and soap dishes to match, under $200 for everything. We pretty stoked about that purchase.

Now, for the resort. It is everything the other reviewers have posted (good and bad). Service is lacking in some areas, you have to beg for ice for your drinks. We only really had one bad experience w/ the restaurant staff and I think he was just so overwhelmed b/c the next time we had him he was great and very attentive.

At this resort you have to stand in too many lines, vacation is not about lines unless you are going to Disney World, you expect lines there. Lines for drinks, lines to make reservations at restaurants that you have paid to eat at, and probably won't get a chance. Lines for the concierge, lines to get towels....lines everywhere, except at the buffet, go figure, people just get right in front of you. Remember, you learn everything about manners in First Grade, please don't leave them at home.

The room was very clean, check in was a breeze, no cool drink or cool cloth when you arrive (like other resorts), but check in was easy and the bellman took our bags up for us.

I was (still am) very annoyed w/ the concierge. I sent an email about our anniversary a few weeks ago, tried to make contact upon arrival, he was gone for the day. Finally on Tuesday, I wait in yet another line for 20 minutes for him to get back from lunch, lunch was over at 1:30 according to his sign. Finally at 1:50, I leave a note on his desk, telling him our anniversary is Friday, room number, name etc, and request champagne and possibly some fresh fruit or whatever they do for anniversaries. Friday came and nothing when we went up at 4pm, so I stopped by to be sure he got my note, he did but said he didn't understand (one would think he would call me in the room??? NOT) so I explained and he said he would have a bottle delivered and some strawberries....we left at 5:45, returned at 1am....nothing had been done. I was/am furious. I didn't throw a true southern girl fit, but should have.

This hotel doesn't have room service, for some reason I was under the impression that they offered that. After the last restaurant closes at 11pm, you are SOL. We rarely eat late like that, but we had been drinking ALL day, I was out at 8pm and we both woke up around 11pm starving... I had to get dressed and go down to the restaurant that was full of employees eating, to be stared at for getting a couple of hot dogs and some fruit, I felt like I was invading their space. Maybe I was, but the girl at the front desk said to go there. So....

The buffets are the same each night, essentially, they just move the "main" dish (whatever the nightly theme is) to the center buffet and the others to the sides. It really is quite disappointing.

Also, if you want to spend your vacation w/ a bunch of unsupervised children, this is the place for you. If I wanted to spend time w/ kids, I would take my friends and neighbors kids, at least I would watch them. I have never seen so many children under 10 belly up to the bar, ordering drinks. Of course the bartenders were trying to make sure they didn't put anything in them. But when they are busy, all they hear is "Mudslide" or "Pina Coloda" and that's what they make. Could be a dangerous situation for a kid if the parents aren't around. I did see a couple of dads come to the pool w/ the bar and round up their kids and fuss at them for hanging around the bar. Good for them.

I don't care about cigarette smoking, but cigars in an enclosed space, that's a different story. Is it really necessary to smoke IN the pool? I understand at a table on the edge of the pool, but to be standing in the middle, nowhere to flick but in the pool.

They do need restrooms closer to the pool, I did watch people who were there ALL day and never leave....ick.

We also witnessed a spoiled brat yell at an older lady over an umbrella, there were not enough to go around and I don't know if the older lady took the umbrella or not, but the "rules" say you can't reserve seats or umbrellas and if you aren't using them they are up for grabs. This girl called the older ladies some not nice words, lets just say if she had spoken to my mother or grandmother that way, I would be in a very nice Mexican jail in CSL. Then if that wasn't enough, she brought daddy over and he proceeded to tell these ladies off. My husband went over the ladies and told them if the guy said another word to clock him w/ the umbrella and then send them over to him.

Overall, the hotel was not bad, just not somewhere I would go again, but then again I am spoiled, I like the Adults Only, I like the attention the Concierge usually gives to details, I like a change in food, you really get tired of eating the same thing all the time.

On that note, we did go to the La Golondrina Restaurant (formerly the Trailer Park), we had 3 fabulous meals. My husband had Lobster all three times, I had Filet Mignon (Queen) once, fabulous! I had Ribs, yummy and the last night I had a Ribeye, it was good. The best part of the meal is the Bimbo Bread w/ Garlic spread, the second time we ate there my husband and I had about 5 thick slices each! HA HA

I did gain 8lbs on vacation, alcohol? food? bread? slow metabolism? yeah, that's it slow metabolism! HA

Let me know if you have any questions, I do have some fabulous pics I don't mind to share if anyone wants to see them.

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 5
1. Re: Back from RIU Palace

Regarding your sinks, etc. purchases. How did you get them home?? When I bought 1 sink a couple years ago, I went to UPS and they said it would be $80 US to send it. So with that good news I carried it on the plane and as we had to switch in Pheonix (and came in late) I had to RUN thru the airport with this &*($ sink, thought I was going to die. But I sure wasn't going to pay that kind of price to ship.

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
2. Re: Back from RIU Palace

P.S. Sorry to hear your stay at RIU wasn't so pleasant. Sounds like this is a place to avoid.

Lincolnton, North...
3. Re: Back from RIU Palace

Attila,

I really tried to be as positive as I could be, but what can I say.

As for the sinks, we got a box from the housekeeping staff (took an act of congress and w/ no president to sign off on it, I didn't think I would get one! HA)

My husband emptied the drinks out of our fridge, used them to tape around the bowls of the sinks, stuck them in the box and filled the edges w/ dirty clothes!

It is a pain, especially in Atlanta b/c you have to go to 2 seperate pickup locations, one for luggage and one for oversized items. But we managed, as a matter of fact I need to get the box out fo the car tonight so I can get the rest of the laundry washed! HA

We are so happy we found these items, as for the trash can we packed it the same way, except in our suit case and I carried the soap dishes and kleenex cover in my carry on bag. plus one bottle of Cabo Wabo Tequilla and 2 bottles in the other suitcase. It isn't convenient but the store was going to charge us $120 US to send them DHL. My husband told her it wasn't happening.

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
4. Re: Back from RIU Palace

I didn't think I heard them wrong on the $80 US. I'll definitely box and send thru with luggage next time. Thought I was going to have a heart attack running to catch our plane. Thats why I fly Mexicana from now on....direct flight ... no running to catch the next plane.

Lincolnton, North...
5. Re: Back from RIU Palace

Just remember, don't seal the top of the box tight until you get to the airport, they are going to open it so they can see. We did that and then helped the guy retape our box.

Everything appears fine in the boxes, we packed them pretty tight and be sure to write FRAGILE all over the box.

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
6. Re: Back from RIU Palace

Great info....thanks

Lincolnton, North...
7. Re: Back from RIU Palace

One other thing I forgot to mention in my post, the bathtubs are VERY slippery. The first day we were there, I went to get into the shower (tub sides are very high and I am very short) right foot first, and as I was lifting my left foot off the floor I slipped and had a HUGE knot and bruise on the inside of my right knee that lasted all week.

Please, be VERY careful about the tubs at the RIU, we talked to couple other people who had done the same thing.

They tubs appeared to have slip resistant bottoms ( the sandy looking stuff in the bottom?), but apparently the cleaners they use grease these things right up.

One of the older ladies we spoke to, hadn't taken a shower yet and was afraid b/c her friend fell in the tub too. I suggested she wear shower shoes, and the next day she said that was a great suggestion and that she didn't have any trouble. She has crippling arthritis and worried that if she fell she wouldn't be able to get up.

please, just be very careful.

North Carolina
reviews: 2
8. Re: Back from RIU Palace

Did I read no room service?? We are planning a trip in Sept. and we picked this resort over another one because we were told they had 24 hr. room service. If they don't have room service we need to change resorts. Any suggestions?

Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
reviews: 6
9. Re: Back from RIU Palace

lifeisgood2me,

Try checking out the Presidente...it is all inclusive has 3 great pools including one that doesn't allow kids and has 24 hour room service, there is a small $2.50 service charge for room service but heck it is well worth it. Plus you will have the benefit have having an attentive staff & management. It may not be the newest resort there but it is still beautiful, on the beach and very spread out and spacious like a resort should be. The lobby isn't overly fancy but then who hangs out in the lobby on vacation? The rooms are nice... again not overly fancy (except the suites) but well appointed and anyway except to change clothes, shower or sleep how much time do you spend in the room? But that is just my opinion.

San Jose del Cabo
reviews: 3
10. Re: Back from RIU Palace

Thanks for the review MissGuided. For the last poster, RIU only has room service for Continental breakfast and that's a little slow. To the best of my knowledge, the all inclusives with Room Service are: Intercontinental El Presidente, Crowne Plaza and Dreams. Not sure about the Melia Cabo Real but you can check on www.solmelia.com