We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much to tip the maid

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
seattle
reviews: 6
How much to tip the maid

What is a customary daily tip for the maid who services your room

Would you leave pedis or dollars

43 replies to this topic
Boston
reviews: 3
11. Re: How much to tip the maid

We are in the 4 to 5 dollar camp..similar to

The USA for regular service.

Here, We mostly cook in and it's a treat for someone else to clean the kitchen and we adjust up for that service.

Central, OR
reviews: 6
12. Re: How much to tip the maid

I have been wondering myself a fair tip. Mine has been $50P/day. Glad to know I'm close to average. $60P / Dinner in an all inclusive, $40P for a buffet. $40P/breakfast buffet. $2P/drink are my minimums. Most Canadians and Europeans find tipping objectionable, I think - at least the service personnel in Cabo have told me.

Kelowna, Canada
reviews: 27
13. Re: How much to tip the maid

They must play one against the other because they tell me the Americans are the worst for tipping ! Expect the world and give very little for it.........so they tell us ?

I know most people I talk to or read about on TA tip well. I admit I do know some people here in Canada that think close to 10% is fine. I'm sure we all know some people like that though......

Oregon
reviews: 16
14. Re: How much to tip the maid

Zeddy...here in the states, the maids make at least minimum wage. In Cabo, they may make only $2 per day.

We're with the majority here. We make certain to tip the maid at least $5 per day....and as HH suggested, pay them every day. as you may have a different maid each day. Also, please leave a note explaining that the money on the counter is for the maid, otherwise, they will typically leave it, not knowing that it is for them.

Colorado Springs...
reviews: 13
15. Re: How much to tip the maid

We're pretty clean in our room and we do our own dishes, but we still leave 50 pesos a day for their efforts. We completely understand the meager wages the staff make and like to share our good fortune, it's the very least we can do. They always do a fantastic job of keeping our room clean and neat, they are wonderful at Playa Grande.

As far as Europe, generally you don't tip because gratuity is usually already included in the bill. You would be double tipping, which if service is exceptional, certainly warranted.

Erie, Colorado
reviews: 20
16. Re: How much to tip the maid

We tip $5 per day at a minimum more if we leave a big mess in the kitchen. It's a small price to pay for kitchen/bathroom/bedroom, etc cleaning.

Calgary, Alberta...
reviews: 18
17. Re: How much to tip the maid

We always leave $5.00 U.S. a day on our pillow and it does show when they clean. Giving them U.S. gives the maid more pesos when she goes to the bank and does the exchange. As some else said leaving the tip daily instead of at the end of your stay.

Edited: 12:19 pm, February 18, 2014
napa, ca
reviews: 9
18. Re: How much to tip the maid

We also leave atleast $5 per day and leave it daily not at the end of our trip due to not always having the same maid. These ladies work super hard and I'm sure are helping support their families. It's nice to be able to give to those that are making our trip so enjoyable.

Upper Michigan
reviews: 14
19. Re: How much to tip the maid

We always leave around $10 if we have another couple with us and Cabo Villa and Grand Solmar have envelopes already there for the maids. I would rather give my money to the maids than the taxi drivers, never to the children selling chicklets nor to the 10,000 massage girls.

Brentwood...
reviews: 2
20. Re: How much to tip the maid

Tie guy,, massage girls have bills to pay too! LOL

Reply to: How much to tip the maid
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted