We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from NorCal

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rocklin, California
reviews: 2
Flights from NorCal

Hello Cabo Lovers...

I have been excitedly researching the forums for our trip to Cabo next June. We have booked rooms @ the Playa Grande so I am now obsessing over flight options.

My question is aimed at the few of you experts that I noticed are also from NorCal...

We are from the Sacramento area and I have noticed that there are no direct flights out of SMF. I think I would prefer to go directly there, rather than having a layover in LA for a couple of hours.

I also like the arrival times of the direct flights better...but I was curious...

What are your flight preferences...

Do you fly out of SMF?

Is it worth driving a couple of hours to the bay for direct flights out of SJC or SFO?

Has anyone had bad experiences with lost luggage?

Is $500ish a reasonable roundtrip price for a direct flight...or should we hold out?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

-Kat

Northern Cali
reviews: 13
41. Re: Flights from NorCal

I'm in Vacaville and we always only fly out of SFO. IMO direct flight is the only way to go when starting your vacation. We usually fly Alaska Air. Their credit card gives you a $129 companion ticket each year which having to pay the 75 annual fee still saves a few hundred $$. As Sheriff Joe said, Virgin has very competitive rates too. Last April coming home the plane was only 1/2 full. So nice to be able to have a whole row to yourself!

Fair Oaks...
42. Re: Flights from NorCal

Flying out of Santa Rosa next Saturday to SJD and then going on eventually (bus, driving? ..still deciding) to Loreto for a week and flying back out of Loreto for a total of $435 on Alaska Airlines. Priced drop $82 today and got that in credit using AA low price guarantee.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 33
43. Re: Flights from NorCal

N2youreye...................I just sent you a pm.

Sacramento, CA
44. Re: Flights from NorCal

My friends and I are flying to Cabo from Sacramento one week from today (yay!) and we went through the same dilemma -- direct flight from SFO, or stopover flight from Sac? In the end we decided the direct flight wasn't worth the (small) cost savings, plus the hassle of driving to SF and back. I personally HATE returning from vacation and then realizing I still have a two hour drive home in front of me. So, we booked Southwest/Airtran flights. The stopover is in Orange County, not LAX, so not a huge hassle at all. We paid $430 round trip. Hope that helps!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
45. Re: Flights from NorCal

That is a good fare, susanincali! I hate the 2 hour trek to SFO, but with AS miles, I'm stuck unless they come up with a decent connection via SoCal............got a good AS fare from San Jose for this spring, but just like SFO-getting there and back home is the pits........................Have a great time when you get to Cabo!

San Francisco...
reviews: 37
46. Re: Flights from NorCal

Off the subject a little but since AS no longer has direct flights out of SFO we now fly AS from Santa Rosa to either Los Cabos or Zihuatanejo and have a short drive home. They are expanding the Santa Rosa airport to accommodate jets so next year they will have more options for travelers like us who live in the North Bay.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
47. Re: Flights from NorCal

Latitude....................are you saying AS no longer has non-stop flights from SFO to SJD?????????? I booked from SJC this time, as it was less expensive-and takes about the same amount of time to get from home to either airport...........guess I could look myself-but just saw this!

Edited: 11:04 am, January 27, 2014
Calaveras County
reviews: 18
48. Re: Flights from NorCal

We second the El Rancho overnight parking recommendation. We also now travel pretty exclusively on Virgin from SFO. They leave at 11:30 and the return gets us back at 6:30. We usually stay an extra day in CSL so we can return on Saturday as trying to escape the bay area at that time of day on Friday just ain't worth it.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
49. Re: Flights from NorCal

The El Rancho does a great job :) Now if we could only get some non-stop flights from SMF to SJD!

Edited: 3:16 pm, January 27, 2014
Rocklin, California
reviews: 2
50. Re: Flights from NorCal

Agreed!! :)