We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help decide if Cabo area is worth visiting & where to stay

Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
reviews: 19
Help decide if Cabo area is worth visiting & where to stay

After 5 years in Playa del Carmen, we are considering trying the Cabo area for something different. Multi-generational family ranging from ages 15, 20s, to late 40s. We are nervous about trying something new, but figured we should try a new area and thought Cabo may be worth visiting due to the potential for fishing, whale-watching, and new scenery. (We've also been to Mazatlan)

We will be traveling during Spring Break - mid March. Prefer AI for food preference/schedule reasons (seems like this is less of an option than in PDC). Like activities during the day & night (contests, shows, music, etc). Would like the beach to be nice, but we are not big ocean swimmers (may wade in a few times if available, but not a must). We are in the pools during the day when not sight-seeing. We like decent views and walking along the beach.

We like the resort to be clean, budget friendly, & decent. We are not into the stuffy high-end type of atmosphere. For a comparison if anyone has been to PDC - we have stayed at Sandos Playacar, Iberostar Tucan, Viva Wyndham Azteca, Sandos Caracol, and Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda (in order of what we liked best to least). Prefer variety of food choices, although don't necessarily need high-end food options.

Location in terms of Cabo is not a major deal compared to our other preferences. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

15 replies to this topic
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 6
11. Re: Help decide if Cabo area is worth visiting & where to stay

The Riu Santa Fe is a 3 star like the two Sandos' properties that you liked before. It is running the about the same price all inclusive as the Sandos Caracol is...and less than the Playacar is running...so it is right in the ball park.

I think you will enjoy Cabo...especially if you walk around Cabo Marina area...enjoy some of the sites, sounds and fun places. I used to take groups fishing in both San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas and hadn't been back since the late 1980's...and wintered in Cabo this year winter...and really loved it. I found the old part of Mexico and enjoyed the Marina area for walking and people watching. So many good places to eat and to stop and have a soda or a Dairy Queen!

I have done all of Cancun/Playa/Isla area for years multiple times...and I enjoy so much more the Pacific side of Mexico (Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa...than I do the Playa area. The airport just makes me tired in Cancun...way too busy!! Come and give Cabo a try...think you will love it...always fun to have a new adventure.

Kansas CIty...
reviews: 3
12. Re: Help decide if Cabo area is worth visiting & where to stay

I would definitely give Cabo a try! I've stayed at plenty of resorts in the Riv Maya, and I still prefer Cabo (with the exception of RM having better water/beaches). Like you pointed out, Not too many AI's in Cabo, but I would check out the new Sandos AI for somewhere you may feel comfortable. It would not have a ton of entertainment, but its the only true AI property located in town, which means its an easy walk to all kinds of entertainment in the evening :) The crashing waves of the Pacific are beautiful as well!

13. Re: Help decide if Cabo area is worth visiting & where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:55 am, September 19, 2013

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
reviews: 32
14. Re: Help decide if Cabo area is worth visiting & where to stay

Would anyone object if I recommend Cabo's charming sister - San Jose del Cabo. Sounds like the Presidente (Holiday Inn) would be perfect for you. Close to town with shopping, restaurants, bars and art galleries. It's on a beach you can walk literally for hours. It's an AI with a shuttle to Cabo if you want to go in for the spring break chaos.

I might suggest if you were to compare the two areas (east vs west) Cabo is the Cancun of Los Cabo, and San Jose is the PDC of Los Cabo (excluding Todos Santos of course).

I know...I'll probably get in trouble for that one! :-)

Edited: 9:34 pm, September 18, 2013
Wisconsin
reviews: 19
15. Re: Help decide if Cabo area is worth visiting & where to stay

Thanks again for even more suggestions. We are open to staying anywhere in the Los Cabos area as we will likely explore both San Jose and Cabo while there. All of our family is pretty solid on trying this area and we are getting more excited about the region as we are researching our options for accommodations and activities.

The hardest part about the planning is finding a place that will please our family due to the wide age ranges. Based on previous trips, we primarily like places with activities and entertainment options during the day & evenings. That allows all ages of our family to either partake or watch the activities. Food & rooms are secondary to us. At the same time - it's vacation so we will enjoy time away from work/school & make the best of whatever situation we end up with!

Reply to: Help decide if Cabo area is worth visiting & where to stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted