We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help decide if Cabo area is worth visiting & where to stay

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
reviews: 19
Help decide if Cabo area is worth visiting & where to stay

After 5 years in Playa del Carmen, we are considering trying the Cabo area for something different. Multi-generational family ranging from ages 15, 20s, to late 40s. We are nervous about trying something new, but figured we should try a new area and thought Cabo may be worth visiting due to the potential for fishing, whale-watching, and new scenery. (We've also been to Mazatlan)

We will be traveling during Spring Break - mid March. Prefer AI for food preference/schedule reasons (seems like this is less of an option than in PDC). Like activities during the day & night (contests, shows, music, etc). Would like the beach to be nice, but we are not big ocean swimmers (may wade in a few times if available, but not a must). We are in the pools during the day when not sight-seeing. We like decent views and walking along the beach.

We like the resort to be clean, budget friendly, & decent. We are not into the stuffy high-end type of atmosphere. For a comparison if anyone has been to PDC - we have stayed at Sandos Playacar, Iberostar Tucan, Viva Wyndham Azteca, Sandos Caracol, and Blue Bay Grand Esmerelda (in order of what we liked best to least). Prefer variety of food choices, although don't necessarily need high-end food options.

Location in terms of Cabo is not a major deal compared to our other preferences. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Vancouver BC
reviews: 3
1. Re: Help decide if Cabo area is worth visiting & where to stay

The Riu Santa Fe all inclusive may be what you are looking for. The Riu Santa Fe has an excellent entertainment crew throughout the day, and also nightly shows every night.

Here are a some video's that will give you a visual view of the resort.

360 degree view of the building 7 Beach and ocean view rooms Riu Santa Fe Cabo San Lucas Mexico INFINITY POOL AND BEACH AREA.

http://youtu.be/503D6cMhKME

360 degree view of THE QUIET POOL at the Riu Santa Fe Cabo San Lucas Mexico

http://youtu.be/8pJ7W-X1EJE

Si Si Si Dance lessons given as part of the Entertainment Crew's daily schedule.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U1vUK-p0Dc

Riu Santa Fe Cabo San Lucas Nightly shows.This video is a small part of one show.

"tribute show to Michael Jackson"

http://youtu.be/eEa0wxUMqFQ

Edited: 12:53 am, August 29, 2013
Saint James, New...
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 85
2. Re: Help decide if Cabo area is worth visiting & where to stay

Whale watching is great, many sightings just from the beach. The fishing can be excellent with a Marlin very possible , in addition to Tuna, Dorado, Wahoo and many other species. The Cabo nightlife will be hopping during spring break. Hundreds of restaurant choices and bars seem to be everrywhere in town and some great beach bars. Walk for miles on the beaches. This might be a great area for your gang !!!

PRINCETON
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 5
3. Re: Help decide if Cabo area is worth visiting & where to stay

For true AI, RIU is your best bet....but you'd really limit yourself to some great place to dine around Cabo. Staying closer to town might be preferable to the family. Maybe Casa Dorado or Cabo Villas...maybe even one of the Pueblo Bonitos on Medano Beach...water activities right out side your front door....close enough to walk to town day/night. Beach bars hopping BIG TIME all day during spring break. Check VRBO or Redweek.com for possible timeshare rentals available for a family...have breakfast/snacks in the room then enjoy dinners in town. Check out Trappers List for our choice dining with a $$ gauge for cost. We love the streetside taco stands that open up late afternoon/evenings run $1-1.50 per taco with lots of toppings to add.

Kelowna, Canada
reviews: 31
4. Re: Help decide if Cabo area is worth visiting & where to stay

I only have Puerto Morelos to compare Cabo to on that side. Just around the corner from PDC though. Cabo itself is not a huge AI area. Looks like that it slowly changing but not quite as of yet. There are quite a few AI resorts on the Corridor that will suit your needs. With multiple people/kids , I can understand the need for AI. You are looking at 15-20 minutes of a drive out of downtown Cabo for them. The Riu as mentioned is about as close as you will get.

There are lots of places to eat/drink for cheap in Cabo. Happy Ending's bar for one has a $5 - 2 beer and 2 tequila...pretty good by any standards. Lots of Taco stands for under $2 each.

Like PDC , activities are endless. Cabo has the Land's End where you can either take a Water Taxi out and around to see it including the Arch , or hop on a Sunset Dinner Cruise and throw a bunch of things all at once (I would suggest this). The Water Taxi has it's advantages too because you can take a picnic and get dropped off at Lover's Beach at Land's End where you can spend hours taking it easy. If you're lucky , you may even get to walk under the Arch from there if the tide , weather , moon , etc is all lined up.LOL

Cabo is the Marlin Capitol of the World. Like Rocky said , there a really good chance that you will catch one , at any time of year. And an amazing amount of other "food fish" to catch as well. There are hundreds of boats to charter and we all have our favourite ones. I like to fish multiple days when in Cabo so I prefer the less expensive options. More details if requested.

The AI resorts is not my "forte" so I will leave that to the others to comment on. My wife and I enjoy staying right downtown where we can walk to everything and we stay either at our timeshare resort (Grand Solmar) or a budget priced hotel ( Mar de Cortez). When we travel with a large group , we take them to that hotel and they love it. So many restaurant options really close as well as everything else we need. You can do Cabo on a budget or go all out. Most of us will eat/drink for cheap most of the time , then go all out every so often. The area is very casual too. There isn't really a dress code anywhere.....just wear clothes I always say. Cabo is all about comfort and that is up to you what that is.......Happy Travels !!!!

Midwest
reviews: 10
5. Re: Help decide if Cabo area is worth visiting & where to stay

Sandos Finisterra is in Cabo and might fit the bill. They are still finishing the transition to AI, but it should be done well before next March. You might want to check out their facebook and tripadvisor reviews. That beach is not swimmable, so you would have to go to Medano Beach to swim in the ocean.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 35
6. Re: Help decide if Cabo area is worth visiting & where to stay

I think the Riu properties are the closest to a true AI in Cabo, but don't include water sports......many of the other AI properties don't have much in the way of entertainment, etc.

Seattle
reviews: 14
7. Re: Help decide if Cabo area is worth visiting & where to stay

Because of your preference for All-Inclusive I'm not sure Cabo will be the best bet for you. Plus it's nothing like the Caribbean side (as far as geography, vegetation, sand, ocean, etc.).

B.C.
8. Re: Help decide if Cabo area is worth visiting & where to stay

We enjoy all inclusive sometimes, but we have found Cabo is a nice place to not do all inclusive - eat out and find entertainment and activities in the marina and downtown. At spring break there will be no shortage of activities. The food is really great! It's easy to find good restaurants and bars with deals. It is nice to stay walking distance to town.

We have stayed in Riviera Maya - Barcelo, Grand Sunset and Grand Mayan and like it as well. Cabo is so beautiful, just very different from PDC.There is something about it that makes us want to keep going back. We tried a Cabo trip after feeling abit disappointed in the Grand Sunset all inclusive trip. We love Cabo and are going back for our 3rd trip next month!

If you really want AI there are some nice ones, but probably only the Rius would have the structured entertainment as you are used to. All the places mentioned in previous posts are great options! If you like being in the action and on a swimmable beach, places along Medano Beach are good. We like the quieter side of Solmar Beach but it's unswimmable.

Edited: 7:30 pm, August 29, 2013
San Diego...
9. Re: Help decide if Cabo area is worth visiting & where to stay

In my opinion PdC is the best spot in Mexico. The two don't compare

I go to Cabo because I can get there in 2 hours, I go for a long weekend, its like a Vegas trip. But it's nothing like PdC.

With that said why not try something new?

Wisconsin
reviews: 19
10. Re: Help decide if Cabo area is worth visiting & where to stay

Thank you everyone for your great suggestions - we are really leaning toward trying Cabo for something new!!