We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spider issue?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cabo San Lucas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cairo
Level Contributor
51 posts
Spider issue?

Hi everyone,

This is kind of an odd question but I was researching on Cabo for a possible trip next spring and I read in an article about what to be careful from while in Cabo and one poster wrote that there are massive spiders all over the place.

I am arachnophobic, I'm talking major breakdowns and wake up screaming from nightmares kind of phobia.. I would gladly cancel cabo out of my trip list if this is true.. but I wanted to double check.

Midwest
Level Contributor
562 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Spider issue?

You know, I have never had a "spider" problem. . .last Oct. the mosquitos/bugs were bad, but have never noticed a spider problem.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Spider issue?

Can't say I have seen any that are noteworthy. Have seen some other bugs and crawly things, but not really any spiders. BUT - it is the desert and depending on where you go, (golf, climbing, z-lines, etc) you may see some.

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Spider issue?

Are there NO spiders in Cairo? There are spiders in the Baja but I don't know where they hang out as they seem to keep to themselves. When I was in Cabo I don't really remember seeing any.

Just always never place your hand into any crevice or place where you can not see into.

cabo
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
1 review
4. Re: Spider issue?

Scorpions, cucarachas, giant black moths and time share sharks.... but I've rarely ever seen a spider in Cabo

Olympia, WA
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
8,921 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Spider issue?

My wife shares your arachnophobia. We've run into a few nasties in the tropical rain forest around Puerto Vallarta, but no problems in Cabo San Lucas. I don't know who might have reported that they are all over the place, but that is definitely not accurate.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
3,376 posts
45 reviews
6. Re: Spider issue?

I've seen a crack spider a few times but he was pretty harmless...in fact he makes drinks behind the bar at Rips, has neat bar tricks and a fun wife....sorry had to make that joke being one of our regulars (canamerican) is nicknamed crackspider!

Have never seen a spider in Cabo.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
7. Re: Spider issue?

Mmmmm.....spider eh!!!

I know that there are Mexican Red Legs (tarantulas) in the Baja but never seen one in Cabo San Lucas! They don't want to be near people anyway! I'd be more worried about me being behind the bar at Rip's than a spider! LOL :P

cabo
Level Contributor
3,795 posts
1 review
8. Re: Spider issue?

Oh yeah, that's right! Watch out for Larry the crack spider! :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
36 reviews
9. Re: Spider issue?

No spiders to speak of from a tourist standpoint in Cabo. Enjoy!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
22,346 posts
35 reviews
10. Re: Spider issue?

Only time I encountered a spider was in La Paz many years ago.............little tiny red one.........the bite hurt and itched like mad, but I got even and squished it! Haven't encountered any spiders where I stay in Cabo, luckily!